Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on my RDW and how to make it better/faster

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Thoughts on my RDW and how to make it better/faster Reply with quote

Hello,
I am trying to tweak my RDW deck and am open for suggestions. I seem to either get stuck with way too much mana and nothing big to play, or way too little mana and lots to play.. I just want this deck to be seamless and very fast. Here she is:

///Land
13x Mountain
4x Arid Mesa
4x Scalding Tarn
2x Teetering Peaks
1x Smoldering Spires

///Creatures
4x Goblin Guide
4x Ember Hauler

///The Rest
4x Koth, of the Hammer
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Staggershock
4x Searing blaze
4x Burst Lightning
4x Volt Charge
4x Shrine of Burning Rage

\\\Sideboard
4x Runeflare Trap
3x Torpor Orb
3x Mark of Mutiny
3x Flame Slash
2x Molten-Tail Masticore

I had 4x Spikeshot Elder maindeck but replaced them with 4x Volt Charge for koth and Shrine... I dont really see the point of spikeshot in this deck.. Please help me make this deck seamless and fast! Thanks!
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sideboard needs some serious work molten tail masticore with 10 creatures in your deck including masticore. Runeflare trap and topor orb why? No dismember for kor firewalker, baneslayer, twin combo? No manic vandals or crush for batterskull sword of war and peace?
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All valid options, thank you, anything else for my main deck? It doesnt seem to flow correctly..
Ansore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

ThE0aUg0MaN wrote:
All valid options, thank you, anything else for my main deck? It doesnt seem to flow correctly..

I've been playing this, it's really good and rapes cawblade:

// Lands
8 [UNH] Mountain
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [ZEN] Teetering Peaks

// Creatures
4 [NPH] Furnace Scamp
4 [M11] Ember Hauler
4 [SOM] Spikeshot Elder
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

// Spells
4 [SOM] Arc Trail
4 [ROE] Flame Slash
4 [WWK] Searing Blaze
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
4 [ROE] Staggershock
4 [NPH] Shrine of Burning Rage

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [NPH] Dismember
SB: 4 [ROE] Kiln Fiend
SB: 4 [NPH] Vulshok Refugee
SB: 3 [SOM] Shatter

Wink test it
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else think that Volt Charge should be in RDW? Also, why do you all think that Spikeshot Elder is so good? I dont understand why this is in everyones main...
J_R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volt charge is pretty bad, while spikeshot is good with teetering peaks as well as shooting down x/1s
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your curve issue's if your experiencing them both ways is just variance, which is an inevitable part of magic.

I personally also find spikeshot elder to slow for RDW and do not fully understand its inclusion, other than a lack of quality cards making it just about playable.

Whatever you do, do not play furnace scamp that is a terrible card. I have always liked plated geopede, with 8 sac lands, 2 peeks and a spire he seems like a good include.
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Spikeshot's good for the reasons that were mentioned above me. Also, I think Teetering Peaks is good enough to be a 4-of. I know it comes in tapped, but you do get a good enough benefit from it to justify its numbers.

Here's the list I've been playing, just for reference:

12 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Teetering Peaks

4 Goblin Guide
4 Spikeshot Elder
4 Ember Hauler

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Searing Blaze
4 Koth of the Hammer
4 Shrine of Burning Rage
4 Staggershock

Sideboard:
4 Manic Vandal
4 Dismember
3 Arc Trail
2 Combust
2 Act of Aggression

I suppose that if you just can't bring yourself to play Spikeshot, then Plated Geopede would be a decent alternative with the 8 fetches, it's just not really that good and nearly always gets sided out. You could also try the Dragonlord guy, but I've always found him to be very slow also. Either of those would be better than Volt Charge though, 3 mana for 3 damage isn't that great for Standard. Yeah, you get the proliferate for the Shrines & Koths, but in the situations where you have neither on the board, it's really not good at all.
MassO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your original list lacks creatures.

You run Koth and Shrine, which make the use of Volt Charge and Stagger shock, so they must stay.

Lightning bolt is a no brainer

I believe your mana base is off, you have 24 land, 8 of which cause you damage and search for mountains and 3 lands come into play tapped and only help you if you have creatures on the field.

You need to either change the base down to 22 or 20 lands, using those spots to add plated geopede...for the landfall effect.

Or take out 4 search lands, and the teetering peeks, add in 4 kiln fiend and use the smoldering spire as a way around blockers

I dont think the scamp is the answer b/c yes he will do 4 damage but he dies right after, and you need creatures that will stay once they are on the board.

You are very vulnerable to the Leylines because you only have 8 creatures maindeck, yes you can add more creatures sideboard, but you should be siding in answers to their deck to make you win easier. Not having to worry about a Leyline.....

I would probably have 20 total land with the 8 searchers, 16 creatues and 24 spells, including koth.

4 ofs
goblin guide
hauler
geopede
kiln

koth
volt charge
lightning bolt
staggershock
shrine of burning rage

3 Burst lighning
1 Red Sun's Zenth

you might can take one volt charge out for another zenth.
kendiggy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikeshot Elder was great because of CAW-Blade, it kills their birds. Turn one Elder, turn two burst lightning your stoneforge, turn three three mana up to instant-speed kill their birds before they try to equip, save your manic vandals for Batterskull. He gives you a lot of late game, same concept as Grim Lavamancer back in the day. With the banning of Stoneforge Mystic, I would consider not playing Elder anymore, I don't think he's needed. I think Boros Bushwhacker may be the better aggro deck now, anyways.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing spikeshot elder to grim lavamancer, is like comparing kumano master yambushi to arc slogger.

One is half as powerful and half as efficient as the other.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1