Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B/R Midrange Control Pile, any comments?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
schowilson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: B/R Midrange Control Pile, any comments? Reply with quote

So I've been working on this deck, haven't had a chance to play it yet but will play it this Friday at my FNM. Here is the list and I will explain my card choices below.

Lands: 24
4x Blackcleave Cliffs
4x Dragonskull Summit
4x Lavaclaw Reaches
3x Tectonic Edge
9x Swamp

Creatures: 12
4x Black Knight
4x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Massacre Wurm
2x Sheoldred, Whispering One

Other Spells: 24
4x Duress
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Arc Trail
4x Sign in Blood
4x Smother
4x Sadistic Sacrament

Sideboard
4x Combust
3x Vampire Hexmage
3x Manic Vandal
3x Shatter
2x Skinrender

So I'm sure it looks a little janky and hopefully tomorrow I can start testing it. My plan is to just keep the board clear with my removal and slowly drop my creatures. I'm sure I'll take some damage early, but once I get into the midgame I'm not too worried. Here are the cards and why I chose them.

Black Knight pro white and first strike ability is nice. There's a lot of aggro in my meta(first strike) and a lot of white decks. I'm sure there's a better choice, but for now I'll try him.

Vampire Nighthawk's 3 toughness is nice, plus the lifelink and evasion will help until I can drop...

Massacre Wurm should sweep the board against aggro, plus he's a fattie. And Sheoldred, her ability is awesome if I'm able to land her onto the field. I just need to find better creatures with come into play ability that would wreck the game.

Those are the creatures. Basically apply early pressure then drop the bombs when they're not expecting it. Obviously that's what the Bolt, Arc Trail, Smother and Duress are for. Sadistic Sacrament interested me, since against Twin decks I can take away their combo pieces or give Caw-Blade less weapons to use. Sign in Blood for card advantage.

The sideboard needs work. I have Combust there for Twin and Baneslayers, Skinrender against aggro(taking out my discard effects and Sign in Blood), Hexmage against aggro and planeswalkers, and Shatter/Manic Vandal for Caw-Blade and Shrines.

I haven't had a chance to play it for real, but I'm excited about it. I wouldn't mind some feedback on my list. Hopefully I'll be able to play it at FNM and surprise some people.

Thanks for you time.
Cho
Nix87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a list like this before Caw-Blade got popular.

that list included Gatekeeper of Malakir, Abyssal Persecutors and Sarkhan, the Mad you might want to look at those. Black Knight doesn't do anything, maybe you should put the Hexmages in the maindeck. Inquisition of Kozilek is also much better then Duress in the maindeck and you might want to try Despise.
schowilson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy moly, IoK costs $6? That's nuts. I do agree that IoK is better, but I'm broke until next week, so in the meantime I'll Duress. Also, I'm not too worried about their creatures so IoK only get CMC 3 or less, I can just Smother the dude they play that I see with Duress.
I am tempted to put Hexmage in the maindeck, but I seem to play against a lot of white decks so Black Knight's PFW seems crucial.
I guess I'll see how well it does tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1