Advertise here! Contact weedmonkey@magic-league.com
Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Black (Deck)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Big Black (Deck) Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to forgo the usual talk about the deck as I gotta take the girlfriend's car to the shop to get an alternator belt changed, but I need some advice on this deck. I've only tested it against Mono Black Infect and I won 2-1, but I'm unsure at the speed and the matchups versus Red and Blue.

24 [MBS] Swamp (1)

4 [MBS] Phyrexian Rager
4 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator
4 [SOM] Skinrender
4 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

2 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
2 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
4 [SOM] Grasp of Darkness
4 [NPH] Despise
4 [NPH] Dismember
4 [NPH] Lashwrithe

SB: 2 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
SB: 4 [MBS] Phyrexian Crusader
SB: 3 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
SB: 4 [MBS] Go for the Throat

Is 4 Wurmcoils too many?
Thanks guise!

May 24th Trial Results
Round 1: vs Mono Red Control: (2-1 win) Log
Round 2: vs Mono Red Control: (2-0 win) Log
Round 3: vs mirror-match against SB (0-2 loss)

Congrats on SB for getting 2nd with his version of this list!

Last edited by AppleofEris on Tue May 24, 2011 4:02 pm; edited 8 times in total
LLSheep

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Posted without realizing this was for Block.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLSheep wrote:
Edit: Posted without realizing this was for Block.

lol, it happens. I really want to play that mono red deck, but I dunno how much hate it's gonna have. What really bothers me is the fact that the major win con is an artifact in that deck, so I feel like this may be a safer bet, as far as hate goes. The only major problem I see in my mono black list is lack of artifact hate. I dunno, I really hope someone can at least tell me "atta boy" or "you're a friggin, fraggin noob".
Tapater

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+spheres
+blackcleave cliffs
+scrapmelters
???

but makes lashwrithe weaker. I think 4 of is too many lashwrithes anyway and I also dont like extraction. better stuff for the 60. I think red might be better but if you get an obliterator they dont really have much of an answer other then racing.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapater wrote:
+spheres
+blackcleave cliffs
+scrapmelters
???

but makes lashwrithe weaker. I think 4 of is too many lashwrithes anyway and I also dont like extraction. better stuff for the 60. I think red might be better but if you get an obliterator they dont really have much of an answer other then racing.

Dismember and go for the throat are all good answers, but both are black (unless you like a 1 mana, -4 life kill card)

Lashwrithe is definitely a 4 of. It starts out as a 4cmc 4/4 and can be equipped that very turn if you so need.

The extractions are definitely going out of MD, I'm thinking about replacing them for 2 Molten-tail Masticores, but as SB found out today, they die really easily to everything.
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like batterskull, sheoldred, The 1 mana card that lets you look at opp hand and pull a creature or planeswalker, praetors grasp has been pwnin for me too. Phyrexian rager is a bad card imo.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
I like batterskull, sheoldred, The 1 mana card that lets you look at opp hand and pull a creature or planeswalker, praetors grasp has been pwnin for me too. Phyrexian rager is a bad card imo.

Despise would be the discard card you are thinking of.

I was thinking about batterskull, but it just seems to not do enough in this deck. Phyrexian Rager is pretty good: it's a 2/2 for 3 that gives you slight card advantage.

I was wondering what everyone would think of running the black-mana myr as a 4-of, replacing the 2 extractions and 2 of something else (probably black sun's zenith, as it's only good against a few decks in the meta).
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how the hell do you play Praetor's Grasp in MWS? The only way I can think would be to have your opponent put his entire deck on the table face down on your side. =/

But yeah, if mirror-matches were more common in this meta, that card would be sick.

"I steal your Obliterator and then cast it myself"
KnowN

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris wrote:
Also, how the hell do you play Praetor's Grasp in MWS? The only way I can think would be to have your opponent put his entire deck on the table face down on your side. =/

But yeah, if mirror-matches were more common in this meta, that card would be sick.

have him show his library to you and rearrange the card you want to the top, and have him play it face down.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnowN wrote:
AppleofEris wrote:

have him show his library to you and rearrange the card you want to the top, and have him play it face down.

Maybe show top cards of library, but if you show the entire library, MWS will shuffle it when you close.
Spyx

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pretty much have to tell them what you are taking.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyx wrote:
You pretty much have to tell them what you are taking.

But that defeats the purpose of the card. If you have them show you the top 60 cards of their deck, then I'm sure you can reorder it then have them give you the card face down, but still...
KnowN

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris wrote:
KnowN wrote:
AppleofEris wrote:

Maybe show top cards of library, but if you show the entire library, MWS will shuffle it when you close.

You can click off the auto shuffle or make him drag it before you close library. This is the only way
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came up with another version for today's trial, would appreciate some feedback on it,

24 [SOM] Swamp (3)

4 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator
4 [SOM] Leaden Myr
4 [MBS] Phyrexian Rager
4 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
2 [SOM] Skinrender

4 [SOM] Grasp of Darkness
4 [NPH] Dismember
4 [NPH] Lashwrithe
4 [NPH] Despise
2 [NPH] Tezzeret's Gambit

SB: 2 [SOM] Skinrender
SB: 2 [NPH] Tezzeret's Gambit
SB: 3 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
SB: 4 [NPH] Hex Parasite
SB: 4 [MBS] Go for the Throat

Okay, lowered the number of skinrenders and added tezzeret's gambit for drawing power. Hex Parasite in the sb is a must to deal with the red deck everyone's playing.

So far I've tested against said red deck and I went 1-2, with the winning game seeing Hex Parasite. I don't know if I'll be able to play in the trial yet (I gotta help the gf clean the old apartment) but I'd really like to see this list at the top again.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't get to play in the trial, but someone did pilot my deck to a 1-1 finish, which is always cool. 4th place was an exact copy of SB's list with about 5 more of that list dotting the finishes.

I was wondering if anyone who played Big Black in the trial would have any comments on how their list performed.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1