Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Obligatory Mono Black Obliterator Deck

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
LLSheep

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: The Obligatory Mono Black Obliterator Deck Reply with quote

The existence of this deck is necessitated by the raw power of Phyrexian Obliterator and Lashwrithe, as well as the proliferation of the Splintertwin combo and its inherent weakness to instant speed removal.

I'm turning to you, Magic League, because I need your help testing. I've been doing my best, but the sheer amount of home-brewed decks I have to play against to get one tier match-up is mind-numbing.

The following is a link to a plain text file of win/loss records I've been keeping: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27630834/MB%20Aggro%20Match%20History.txt
This will give you a vague idea how the deck is performing on mwsplay.

This is the first iteration of the deck, and I'd love to get your suggestions as to improvements.

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
16 [MBS] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [M11] Nantuko Shade
3 [ROE] Arrogant Bloodlord
2 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
3 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator
4 [NPH] Hex Parasite

// Spells
3 [M11] Duress
2 [M11] Sign in Blood
2 [M11] Doom Blade
3 [NPH] Despise
3 [NPH] Dismember
3 [NPH] Lashwrithe

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
SB: 1 [M11] Duress
SB: 1 [NPH] Despise
SB: 2 [MBS] Go for the Throat
SB: 4 [ZEN] Vampire Hexmage
SB: 3 [ROE] Shrivel
SB: 3 [NPH] Torpor Orb

The powerhouses so far have been Hex Parasite, Nantuko Shade, Phyrexian Obliterator and Lashwrithe. Hex Parasite particularly is a magnet for removal.

Gatekeeper of Malakir and Bloodghast do what they're made for satisfactorily. The fetch lands support Bloodghast recursion.

Arrogant Bloodlord has been very hit or miss. I'm considering getting rid of them entirely, but when they don't run into Birds (of the Paradise or CawBlade variety), they beat so well. If I take them out, I'll most likely up the count on Gatekeeper, Lashwrithe and Obliterator. Thoughts?

The discard is nice against the slower decks in the format, and on the play Despise can be killer. I'm running Doom Blade main over Go for the Throat because I feel that there are more artifacts that are threatening than black creatures in the meta right now.

As for the sideboard, Hexmages are to kill planeswalkers and Shrivel is to slow down weenies. Torpor Orb is one card I'm not sure about. Theoretically, it should shut down just about everything, but I've yet to play it effectively. Anyone have any first hand accounts to share?

Here's what I'd like, MLers. Play the deck. It's pretty fun. You can get rid of the Arrogant Bloodlords. Tell me what you like about it and what doesn't work so well. We'll tune it up until it's a well oiled machine that crushes Tier 1 decks into a bloody pulp.
Djinn
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you beat t2 mystic fetching SoFF and then an overrun of Squadron Hawks that once equipped are immortal?
KnowN

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only card you have that will be effected by splashing Red or blue is lashwrithe. If you want to stick to mono black you should definitely play mind sludge. Otherwise you should splash red or blue.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Djinn is right, you need a way to dodge Sword of Feast and Famine. Since black doesn't have decent artifact removal by nature (I think), you'll need to rely on other sources.
Besides Twin Exarch combo, you should watch out for other decks that can appear, nominately Steel Aggro.
I suggest testing the following cards:

- Black Sun's Zenith
- Disfigure
- Mind Sludge
- Ratchet Bomb
- Wurmcoil Engine

And cut Despise entirely, there are better ways to deal with Squadron Hawk and Stoneforge Mystic. Mr. Green
MassO

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the arrogant bloodlords will put you behind versus anything with white in it. So I would probably play the Abyssal Persecutor, maybe 2 or 3...You have ways to destroy him so that shouldn't be an excuse.
LLSheep

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I too was initially concerned about the widespread use of Sword of Feast and Famine, it turned out to not be as back-breaking as I had feared. The most common use of the sword is to equip a Squadron Hawk or Stoneforge Mystic, which gives your opponent a 3 power creature that you can't kill. So you attack into it with a Bloodghast and Nantuko Husk (with 3 mana open). Or you attack into it with a Phyrexian Obliterator.

A very common play for Sword users to make is to attack in the air with their birds, untap and equip the Sword to their Mystic on defense. So you wait until they try to equip it and Dismember the Mystic. Then it's your turn and you cast Shrivel, or just attack with your guys.

The deck doesn't have a great deal of difficulty dumping its hand into play to negate the discard effect of the Sword, and after you get Wrathed, you crack a fetch land and your Bloodghasts pop up.

Of course, if you yank their Stoneforge Mystic out of their hand with Despise on turn one, or the sword itself with Duress after they've played their Stoneforge, you've saved yourself a lot of trouble.

Consuming Vapors looks like an excellent sideboard card.

RE: Mindsludge -- Why? Could you please explain the context of your suggestion? Which decks would you side it in against? Would you play it main?

Despise is my favorite premoval spell for creatures and planeswalkers; why do you recommend against it?

Ratchet Bomb would work well against Swords, as I don't have any 3 casting cost permanents once I dump Arrogant Bloodlord. It's pretty slow, though. 4 turns from play to removal, with the ancillary benefit of stopping Kuldotha cold doesn't quite seem to cut it.

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
16 [MBS] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [M11] Nantuko Shade
3 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator
4 [NPH] Hex Parasite

// Spells
3 [M11] Duress
2 [M11] Sign in Blood
2 [M11] Doom Blade
3 [NPH] Despise
3 [NPH] Dismember
4 [NPH] Lashwrithe

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
SB: 1 [M11] Duress
SB: 1 [NPH] Despise
SB: 3 [ZEN] Vampire Hexmage
SB: 2 [ROE] Shrivel
SB: 2 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 3 [ROE] Consuming Vapors
KnowN

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind Sludge is good vs any deck that will have cards in there hand on turn 5. And marsh casualties is just better than shrivel
LLSheep

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on Marsh Casualties!

Looking into Geth's Verdict and Inquisition of Kozilek.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play Obli, why don't play x2 Phyrexian Metamorph...
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just suggested the idea. Thanks for flamming, very mature. Phyrexian Metamorph can be usefull in many ways in a high creature destructive deck like B Vampire.

At 6 land in play, opponent plays Inferno Titan, at your turn with 6 mana you can clone it + doom blade opponent's one.
Tao

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the party engrish, you're very late
LLSheep

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest incarnation of the deck is:

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
15 [NPH] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [M11] Nantuko Shade
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 [NPH] Hex Parasite

// Spells
3 [M11] Duress
2 [M11] Sign in Blood
2 [M11] Doom Blade
3 [NPH] Dismember
4 [NPH] Lashwrithe
3 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [NPH] Despise
SB: 2 [ZEN] Vampire Hexmage
SB: 3 [ROE] Consuming Vapors
SB: 3 [ZEN] Marsh Casualties
SB: 2 [ZEN] Mind Sludge

I've play tested forty games:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27630834/MB%20Aggro%20Match%20History.txt

The deck stomps in mwsplay, but the quality of decks there is questionable, I understand. Pyrotwin hasn't been an issue due to instant speed removal and Hex Parasite. Against aggro decks, siding in Consuming Vapors feels like cheating. Against various and sundry control decks, the deck packs a solid density of threats that are a pain to deal with, coupled with removal and discard.

Tellingly, though, the matchup against CawBlade has been harsh. I believe a rework of the deck that is less aggressive and more controlling will have a better shot against the deck to beat, but I have no interest in playing that deck. The deck in its current incarnation is a blast to play, though, and I recommend it if you're in the mood to try something different.
LLSheep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the banning of Stoneforge Mystic, Sword of Feast and Famine is entirely less likely to be hitting the board and ruining your day. I've picked this deck back up, with a few tweaks:

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
15 [NPH] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [M11] Nantuko Shade
4 [ZEN] Gatekeeper of Malakir

// Spells
4 [M11] Duress
2 [M11] Sign in Blood
2 [M11] Doom Blade
3 [NPH] Dismember
4 [NPH] Lashwrithe
3 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
3 [ROE] Consuming Vapors

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Vampire Hexmage
SB: 3 [ZEN] Marsh Casualties
SB: 2 [ZEN] Mind Sludge
SB: 3 [NPH] Hex Parasite
SB: 3 [NPH] Despise

With the banning of Jace, Hex Parasite has been relegated to a SB slot, and I'm considering dropping Despise altogether. Time will tell if Koth and Gideon become major players, though.

Consuming Vapors has moved to main, owing to the raw strength of the card now that I've played with it more.

If Valakut becomes a huge problem, I'd consider adding a full suite of Tectonic Edges, but the matchup so far has seemed favourable.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.
eternal42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spambot necroing articles with a suspicious link?
rentintin3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Merbau Deck Melbourne Reply with quote

sasi123 wrote:
I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the post. I am appreciating your effort. .
Merbau Deck Melbourne Cool Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Embarassed Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

Hi xrumer!!!

Mods should remove stupid post.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2