Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Destroy vs Tap Attacker

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
J_R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you tap something that is already attacking, it doesnt remove it from combat because it is already tapped so tapping it again wont do anything so it will do combat damage

if you destroy an attacking creature, its not there anymore so no combat damage will happen
eternal42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tap the creature before combat if you don't want it to attack but if it is already the declare attackers phase, it is too late to stop something from attacking by tapping it.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapping a creature does not remove it from combat, regardless of whether that creature is attacking or blocking. Typically an attacking creature is already tapped, but it is possible for it to be untapped while attacking (vigilance, for example).

For a creature to attack, it must be untapped at the time attackers are declared, so if you tap it before that point (and it stays tapped), it won't be able to attack. In this case, the creature is never attacking at all, so doesn't get removed from combat, it was just never part of it.

An attacking or blocking creature which leaves the battlefield does get removed from combat though, this is why it won't deal damage if it's before the combat damage step when it leaves.
Ninja87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you played magic like 15+ years ago, there was a rule where if you tap a blocking creature that wasn't tapped, it does not deal any combat damage.

That's just about the closest thing to what you're saying..
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i should just add there is a phase between main phase and declare attackers, which allows you to tap shit and avoid the problem of equips being shuffled around.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
I think i should just add there is a phase between main phase and declare attackers, which allows you to tap shit and avoid the problem of equips being shuffled around.

Note it's a "step" not a "phase".

The Combat Phase is divided into five Steps.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I'm not that up on my technical jargon, learnt to play by experience.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1