Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "I gots spanked by jank!!?" thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Mod_Counter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me as well.

I just got my RG Valakut Deck together and i played against a guy playing some sort of MBC.
He killed me with a Gatekeeper of Malakir after like 30 Turns because he resolved 3 Memoricide and 3 Sadistic Sacrament to completely strip me of my win conditions, also he played Tec edges for my Valakut.

I was like... shoot, i hope this does not get popular =D

Last edited by Mod_Counter on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost the same here. happened last friday at FNM.

I was running my boros battlecry which had gotten me 1st in the previous 2 FNMs. Then this guy shows up with a myr welder deck...used cryptologist to discard khalni gem, soliton, and steel overseer and hit me for infinite damage.(exiles soliton first, pays U to untap, then exiles khlani gem, pays 1 more U to untap. then taps it for infinite mana since the gem makes 2 of any color. he then played triskellion and busted me for infinite...it was quite rediculous...)
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookie_Mnstr wrote:
Almost the same here. happened last friday at FNM.

I was running my boros battlecry which had gotten me 1st in the previous 2 FNMs. Then this guy shows up with a myr welder deck...used cryptologist to discard khalni gem, soliton, and steel overseer and hit me for infinite damage.(exiles soliton first, pays U to untap, then exiles khlani gem, pays 1 more U to untap. then taps it for infinite mana since the gem makes 2 of any color. he then played triskellion and busted me for infinite...it was quite rediculous...)

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ftl/131

Not sure if getting beat by a rogue Noel deCordova deck will make you feel better, but at least it's technically a netdeck. Razz

A well tuned rogue deck has an advantage over tier 1 decks simply because the Tier 1 player cannot reliably anticipate their opponents next move whilst the rogue player should have a pretty good idea of how the Tier 1 deck will attempt to win. Any decent Rogue deck is specifically built to beat Tier 1 decks.

I don't really have a bad beat story from a rogue deck, cause I appreciate the loss and move on. I also know I piss a lot of people off myself with my goofy decks, so I don't get too bent out of shape when I get a taste of my own medicine.
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
I don't really have a bad beat story from a rogue deck, cause I appreciate the loss and move on. I also know I piss a lot of people off myself with my goofy decks, so I don't get too bent out of shape when I get a taste of my own medicine.

This.

I pretty much only make goofy decks. Very Happy I find playing Tier 1 to be relatively same-y and predictable. I prefer to find my own way, and also get some wins while I'm at it.

That said, I can't resist the Goofy Decks that other people have made, so I sometimes netdeck them up. (I've played that Myr Welder Combo deck, for example. It is pretty silly-nuts. Surprisingly consistent for combo, just REALLY easy to disrupt, especially if opp has graveyard-hate.)
Tao

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Alara Reborn finally came out, at the local (Regionals equivalent?) tournament after that, I lost to a 5 color Kithkin deck (splashed for Mulldrifter, Cryptic Command, Maelstrom Pulse, Bloodbraid Elf.....) while playing UWr Control. And that was round two after losing to one of the top rated people in the area playing the real version of Kithkin. The kid playing 5 color crap was such a prick about beating a blue deck too, which was laughable considering the mulldrifters and cryptic commands in his deck...

Oh and I lost to, and got knocked out of top 8 by, one of the guys who ended up becoming the best player in our playgroup by a mile playing a ridiclous Bant Reveillark deck that locked you down with Seedborne Muse and Mistmeadow Witch. And this was round 5 at the PTQ where 5 color blood was the break out deck (I was running it, obv) and I had just smashed two world-class players playing Faeries at the top tables and barely won a REALLLY close match to another homebrew-ster playing a GW Midrange deck chock full of Paladin en-Vecs, Baneslayer Angels, Oversoul of Dusks, and good removal.

And then, one of the few times I sleeved up a true rogue deck, I went undefeated playing Ur Wizards against a room full of Dragonstorm players. I think we played at least 3 Trickbind main that day... thats how horrible that format was.
ducttape4you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod_Counter wrote:
Happened to me as well.

I just got my RG Valakut Deck together and i played against a guy playing some sort of MBC.
He killed me with a Gatekeeper of Malakir after like 30 Turns because he resolved 3 Memoricide and 3 Sadistic Sacrament to completely strip me of my win conditions, also he played Tec edges for my Valakut.

I was like... shoot, i hope this does not get popular =D

I think that was me, as I remember getting schooled game 1 when you dropped something like 6 lands turn 2. Game 2 was a different story, as you didn't lead with green ramp and I managed to sacrament your Valakuts turn 3 and Memoricided out your 3 (!) in-hand Titans turn 4.
Mod_Counter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it was something like that, the guy I played against had T3 Sacrament for 3 Valakuts and then T4 Memoricide for 4! Avenger of Zendikar in my hand (he saw my hand cause of an Inquizition of Kozilek before)
plowerfower
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod_Counter wrote:
Yea, it was something like that, the guy I played against had T3 Sacrament for 3 Valakuts and then T4 Memoricide for 4! Avenger of Zendikar in my hand (he saw my hand cause of an Inquizition of Kozilek before)

Why would you keep a 4 avenger hand?
Tao

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuz that's one avenger away from exodia son, you ain't heard?
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: so funny i gave it a replay Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
cuz that's one avenger away from exodia son, you ain't heard?

lmao

I remember starting out and making a soldier deck before lorwyn came out and placed 2nd at the fnm with all 10th edition cards.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a budget player, I always end up playing Homebrews whenever I sling cardboard. I've definitely played against my fair share of them as well. Some of the decks that have showed up at FNM include t2 esper artifact aggro(with Master of Etherium and Glaze Fiend) and 5-color Wizard aggro(With Stonybrook Banneret, Chameleon Collossus, and Nameless Inversion).

But the most embarrassing deck to ever lose to was WRG Titanic Ultimatum Ramp.

I wish I had found M-L in time to try out my monowhite soldiers deck (Ravnica/Time Spiral standard). I was extremely proud of it and it showed very well against the few players around my shop with "real" decks like Gruul and Teachings. This deck's main objective was to use Stormfront Riders to set up vast amounts of tokens, life, and removal in conjunction with Conclave Phalanx and Icatian Javileneers(and also had a single rogue Akroma - just in case).
axman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I get upset with loosing to jank is when the jank deck uses horrible cards... you just loose because you didn't anticipate someone playing those said horrible cards xD
tchiseen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loving beating the hell out of people in real life with Skinshifter and Sword of Feast and Famine. It works well unless opponent is playing Vapor Snag. That card is bonkers.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2