Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with SOM block deck, I'm new to the format

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Help with SOM block deck, I'm new to the format Reply with quote

Hiya Everybody! I'm pretty new to SOM block constructed, so don't judge my deck too harshly please.

// NAME: UG control

// Lands
12 [SOM] Island (4)
12 [SOM] Forest (4)

// Creatures
4 [MBS] Viridian Emissary
4 [MBS] Viridian Corrupter
1 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
1 [SOM] Putrefax

// Spells
4 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
4 [SOM] Volition Reins
4 [MBS] Spine of Ish Sah
3 [MBS] Vivisection
4 [MBS] Ichor Wellspring
4 [SOM] Shape Anew
2 [SOM] Mimic Vat
1 [MBS] Praetor's Counsel

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
SB: 3 [SOM] Blunt the Assault
SB: 4 [MBS] Pistus Strike
SB: 3 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 3 [SOM] Sylvok Replica

The board is a bit of a mess, so any advice on that is welcome. The idea is to just lay Emissary's for aggro or sac them to Vivisection. Mimic Vat with my 1 Putrefax gives me a 5/3 trampling infector every turn. Good stuff.

Shape anew really just sacs a wellspring and gets either another wellspring (draw 2), a Spine (good stuff), or my vat which interacts with the Putrefax which I can Zenith for. Sure, the vat also gives my infi Viridian Corruptors as well.

Seriously, what do you think? I was also testing a T2 deck that has 4 Putrefax, 4 mimic vats in a control shell, but that's off topic. Lets think about SOM for this deck, and any advice will be taken seriously. Thank in advance!

*edit* I've beat a UW control deck with Neurok Commando's, a Mono Red deck with Koth and Phoenixs, and a RG Liquimetal deck.
World

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the deck is solid. it has pretty good synergy and cover mostly all bases. i like the vat with the putrefax and corrupters. i think u can try throne of geth to combo with ur spine maybe 1 or 2.
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use throne but the counters it gives doesn't really do anything, so it seems like a waste. no?
Listenboi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying a similar monogreen give a try to phyrexian hydra shes hot in the vat..room
Ninja87

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
I would use throne but the counters it gives doesn't really do anything, so it seems like a waste. no?

Well, he can use them on poisen counters and -1/-1 counters from his Infect creatures I guess..
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja87 wrote:
Jacois wrote:

Well, he can use them on poisen counters and -1/-1 counters from his Infect creatures I guess..

True enough, but it would seem lame to Shape Anew a Wellspring just for a throne.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems ur only real win is mimic vat, comboed with ur thrun/putrfax. isnt that kinda dangerous in a format where everyone runs artifact hate maindeck?

I recommend adding another win condition.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe 1 blight steel, if you hit it with the shape anew it will be a beast
Jacois

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkovXII wrote:
maybe 1 blight steel, if you hit it with the shape anew it will be a beast

I thought of that, but if I draw it I'm fucked, no Jace to put it back in the library, and getting the 12 mana to cast it would be pretty much impossible.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I agree that if you draw him hes probably a dead card in you hand. Have you never one a game with a dead card in your hand? plus its only 1/60 chance ull get him so less than 1 in 10 games ull have him in hand
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus ur deck has alot of control factors that can buy time, 12 mana isnt that much in constructed, specifically a really slow constructed format and ur deck is TRYING to make the game longer unitl u get a win condition. and you run 24 land and tons of draw and emmissary idt it would be that bad. typically how long are your games?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1