Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confidant+Counterbalance+Vial+Standstill. Possible?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
Egren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Confidant+Counterbalance+Vial+Standstill. Possible? Reply with quote

I'm pretty inexperienced with Legacy. Sure, I have an idea of what the top tier decks are, but I lack any deeper understanding about the format. However, I know some things;
I like Dark Confidant.
I like Vialing in creatures past my own Standstill.
I like running tops and brainstorms.
Counterbalance in turn likes this.

All of this points towards wants your curve to stay strictly inside 1-3 (, and being UB or UBg (g for goyf and nice sideboard cards)

Bob, Goyf, Vial, Brainstorm, Top, Counterbalance, Standstill

So is it possible to make a competitive list out of all this, or will counterbalance and vial just pull the decks in opposite directions and making a gory mess out of it?

If it isn't possible, would it be, skipping either the vial side or the counterbalance side? Like just bringing beats with goyf and other efficient creatures through Vial backed by blue disruption? Or would the threat density be too low for Aether Vial to be worth it?
Pushover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is you just start running out of slots to put things. You have 4 FoW, 4 standstill, 4 CB, 3 top, 4 vial, 4 bob, that's basically 23 cards already, then you probably have 4 brainstorm, some actual removal, and then the deck still has issues against merfolk or goblins or another deck resolving a vial. It takes 3 turns for counterbalance to get running, and if you are on the draw the opponent might have an answer by the time you have mana to top.

Skipping the vial side exists as bant countertop (usually with progenitus NO combo), and then vial is basically merfolk. You could try doing something with vial and different colors, but you compete against merfolk as well as goblins or death+taxes.

Then again I'm a nub legacy player as well, but that's what I think would happen.
StatikSaM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try this if your realy want to play with standstill+bod+vial+cb+top:

4 fow
4 brainstorm
4 counterbalance
4 standstill
4 dark confident
4 top
3 vial
4 tarmo
3 vendilion clique (maybe 2 trinket mage+1needel+1EE )
2 daze
3 go for the toad
2 jace

3 underground sea
4 mishra factory
1 island
2 tropical island
4 flooded strand
3 scalding tarn
2 volcanic island

sb :
4 firespout
3 krosan grip
3 perish/nature's ruin
2 reb/pyroblast/spell pierce
3 relic of progenitus/tormod's crypt
RDoom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so why are we playing vial in the first place?
there is no need to play vial with 8 2 drops and some small number of 3 drops..
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your just a bad merfolk deck/ a bad countertop deck
StatikSaM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didt say it is a good deck , but Its a good cb+top+standstill+bob+vial deck
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its generally a bad idea to want CB+top and vial in the same deck in legacy. you should stick to one or the other.
Ninja87

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
your just a bad merfolk deck/ a bad countertop deck

LOL i think this pretty much sums it up.. you have to decide and take a side or else it won't work against the current decks..
thedarkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see the big issue. I ran a deck sort of like this back when I played a lot of Legacy, but instead of vials, countertops and standstills I had Finkels, Bobs, and...that..other..card...the one that you could sac a wizard to counter a spell. I forget the name. Anyway, it might sound terrible, but it turned a light counter suite in the early game into a soft lock in the late game, and between Bob, Finkel and Brainstorm the deck generated a LOT of card advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't pick that pile up again even if I still had the list, but Standstill/Vial and countertop is a passable replacement for creature-based CA and countermagic. It only takes up a few more slots, and the ones that aren't the same serve other purposes besides. It could work.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1