Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bloodchief Ascension Deck

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
dikcoop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Bloodchief Ascension Deck Reply with quote

Just a little something i have been screwing around with.

// Lands
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
4 [M11] Dragonskull Summit
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [M11] Mountain (3)
6 [ZEN] Swamp (2)
2 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches

// Creatures
4 [WWK] Pulse Tracker
2 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
1 [M11] Manic Vandal
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Bloodchief Ascension
2 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind
4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
4 [ROE] Staggershock
2 [SOM] Arc Trail
3 [MBS] Decimator Web
2 [M11] Doom Blade

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 3 [M11] Manic Vandal
SB: 1 [MBS] Decimator Web
SB: 3 [M11] Sign in Blood
SB: 4 [M11] Pyroclasm
SB: 2 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk

Sideboard is weak. The 4th decimator web can probably come out, along with the sign in bloods. vamp nighthawks are there for evasion and lifegain vs aggro. control decks have been hating the ruinblasters, and tezz decks really hate the 4 ruinblaster 4 vandal combo. Flameslash might make an appearance here to remove pesky walls.

MD: Decimator Web was originally Grindclock. I was unhappy with the clocks speed since I almost never wanted it on turn 2. Also Grindclock will not level your ascension in case you drew one late.

M/Us: Get a lot of control. Played smartly without flooding, the deck is able to grind out the win most of the time. Gets easier after boards. -2 arc trail, + 2 Ruinblaster always, rest depends on which control deck. Also, if you think you are playing control and you need to get a counter on an ascension, feel free to arc trail your opponent for 2 and yourself for 1. Getting the ascension up and running makes the match a lot easier.

Aggro: Kill anything left to block your creatures. Getting bloodchief ascension running is paramount. The deck does not have the ability to 1 for 1 creatures.
Ninja87

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. just noticed the imba combo of Bloodchief Ascension and Decimator Web.. After activation it deals 14 dmg per activation! Not to mention gaining 12 life too.. LOL
Maybe include some Contagion Clasp or Throne of Geth to help activate Bloodchief Ascension?
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja you didn't notice that if you hit them with sword of body and mind after activation it auto deals 20 damage Razz
Ninja87

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookie_Mnstr wrote:
ninja you didn't notice that if you hit them with sword of body and mind after activation it auto deals 20 damage Razz

Oh yea.. lol
Imma test this deck out too.. sounds fun.. haha
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have much in the way of evasion to sneak a dude past with the sword, nor do you have a way of searching out a sword. When it happens, it's awesome, but it doesn't sound consistent.

Decimator Web, on the other hand, is Brilliant. I could see UB Decimator Bloodchief being quite interesting.
dikcoop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the sword and the lack of evasion. This could probably be sideboard material to give creatures evasion against the right decks.

Contagion clasp is actually not needed in the deck. I had it in there before I replaced Grindclock with Decimator Web.

not enough artifacts/proliferate targets for the Throne.
Ninja87

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realise you don't have Lightning Bolt.. W.T.F.
and maybe two swords are overkill since like what CrushU said.. you got no evasion.. so unless they playing blue and/or green.. it's not too good of a card..

And again.. yes I agree with CrushU, someone please go try make a UB Decimator Bloodchief Control.. It would be soo awesome.. If I have MWS at my workplace I would soo try to make one right now.. lol
dikcoop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are no lightning bolts. However, instead of just asking why I don't have them, suggest where I could put them. Staggershock is good for 2 ascension counters, and burst lightning can hit for 4. Arc trails can kill an z/1 creature and get a counter onto an ascension. The deck has been needing more 2/x creatures in testing, so I am unwilling to take those out. Doom blade has been coming in clutch, but I think Hideous End is going to get the nod for the ability to get a counter on the ascensions.
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encourage you to try different things for bloodchief, but these are my thoughts:

Burst Lightning CAN deal 4, but it's a very inefficient 4. You want your mana open. Lightning Bolt will always deal 3, letting you kill several things that will dodge Burst/Doom Blade (Nighthawk) Also deals more damage to an opponent... I can understand why you'd want the bursts, but I would argue they're subpar to lightning bolt.

Hideous End is something I've considered trying, but it usually ends up being true that I just don't have 3 mana open as often as I have 2 mana open for a doom blade. It is certainly synergistic though, and I keep meaning to test it; Let me know how it works out.
dikcoop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hideous End is something I've considered trying, but it usually ends up being true that I just don't have 3 mana open as often as I have 2 mana open for a doom blade. It is certainly synergistic though, and I keep meaning to test it; Let me know how it works out.

Will definitely let you know. I am going to test it out as a 3 of replacing a staggershock with one.

And thank your for a decent argument for lightning bolt. The real point is that when you hit the mana to upgrade your burst, you should be tapping Decimator Web ftw.

Also, anybody else getting annoyed at the lavaclaw reaches? I took them out for basic lands, 1 each. The deck really wants its first 2 land drops to come into play untapped.
Ninja87

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya true I should have explained about the lightning bolts, sry.. but basically CrushU got the point right..

And for the same reason, you probably don't want manlands because you'd rather use the mana to tap Decimator Web.. but 3 Decimator Web maybe too much because you wouldn't want more than one in play unless it gets destroyed.. So maybe replace the 3rd one with Sign in Blood or something that gets your combo off sooner.. Maybe even consider Liliana Vess? I dunno..

But I think your deck is quite torn between late game and early game.. Late game is obviously the combo between Decimator Web and Ascension.. but your early game basically runs out of steam pretty quickly when your opponent either wipes the board out or chucks a Thrun or some blockers.. Tell us how your test runs been going..
dikcoop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Decimator Web allows me to win turn 5 often enough to keep the number. Also, I did replace the bursts with the bolts and am definitely going to keep them.

// Lands
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [M11] Mountain (3)
8 [ZEN] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [WWK] Pulse Tracker
2 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
1 [M11] Manic Vandal
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
2 [ZEN] Vampire Nighthawk

// Spells
3 [ROE] Staggershock
2 [SOM] Arc Trail
3 [MBS] Decimator Web
3 [ZEN] Hideous End
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 3 [M11] Manic Vandal
SB: 2 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind
SB: 4 [ROE] Flame Slash
SB: 4 [SOM] Tunnel Ignus

The Nighthawks are strictly testing. They might be replaced with Surrakur Marauder because he is easier to cast and he still has reliable evasion.

I did manage to play a Valakut deck and lost 0-2 thanks to him maindecking Obstinate Baloth and getting it out at 1 life.

The one nice thing that is consistent is that if you untap with Decimator Web and an activated Ascension, it is very hard to lose.

86 those man lands. Deck has been running a lot smoother since I took them out.

Next question: Is there too much actual burn? I won the game, but I found myself with a lone goblin guide on offense for 7 turns while I drew land land land burn land land land. The starting hand was Goblin Guide land land 2x bolt 1 staggershock 1 Flame Slash. By turn 6 I was out of burn and needing a second attacker. A second attacker in the opening hand and there wouldn't have been a turn 6.

More rambling: Anybody try UB yet? And how many wins can you chalk up to your opponent ignoring Bloodchief Ascension until he realizes he just died while at 14 life?
dikcoop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting where I currently am with the deck. Added Lacerators for more consistent one drops that swing for 2.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
5 [M11] Mountain (3)
7 [ZEN] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [WWK] Pulse Tracker
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [ZEN] Vampire Lacerator
3 [ZEN] Goblin Bushwhacker

// Spells
4 [ROE] Staggershock
3 [MBS] Decimator Web
2 [ZEN] Hideous End
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
1 [SOM] Arc Trail

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 3 [MBS] Slagstorm
SB: 1 [SOM] Arc Trail
SB: 1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine

Hideous End is ok, but it feels like 4 or none. You either need it really badly or it sits in your hand while you play more relevant spells. I also dropped the land count from 24 to 23. I was flooding out a lot at 24, and now at 23 I seem to be mulliganing 1 land hands away every 3rd or 4th game. Happy with neither situation, but I guess its better to have to mulligan a little more often than to flood. Fielder's choice there. Was also thinking about adding in sac lands and possibly Geopedes to go with them.
dikcoop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ww is faster than you. board in those slagstorms.
dikcoop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
5 [M11] Mountain (3)
6 [ZEN] Swamp (2)
2 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn

// Creatures
4 [WWK] Pulse Tracker
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [ZEN] Vampire Lacerator
3 [ZEN] Plated Geopede

// Spells
4 [ROE] Staggershock
3 [MBS] Decimator Web
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
3 [M11] Sign in Blood

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SOM] Arc Trail
SB: 4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 3 [MBS] Slagstorm
SB: 1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine

Wasn't happy with the bushwackers, trying out geopedes. Slot could also go to Burst Lightning. Vampire Lacerator has been providing more stability with dropping an attacker turn 1 for a turn 2 Ascension.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3