Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternate set creation?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Alternate set creation? Reply with quote

Will anybody be interested in creating (and later playing!) with home-made sets.

I´d be particularly interested in sets that follow a historical flavour, much as Arabian Nights did, over "multiverse" sets. For example, a Norse set could actually work (and no, Ice age block doesn´t have a good Norse flavour. Just in case).
Halldir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that norse one can be rly good, for example using aesir gods as planeswalkers and so on... ye that should be rly good....
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egyptian flavour seems like it could be easy enough to get some flavour on.

Mayan/Aztec/Inca could be another intersting general area.
Sorrel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested.

I'm all for Norse. Mayan/Aztec/Inca could be interesting too, but I'm not as familiar with it.

Egyptian would be interesting, but I'm not sure how workable it is - I can't think of much in Egyptian mythology that is really 'black' in the normal magic color sense.
Magx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorrel wrote:
I'd be interested.

I'm all for Norse. Mayan/Aztec/Inca could be interesting too, but I'm not as familiar with it.

Egyptian would be interesting, but I'm not sure how workable it is - I can't think of much in Egyptian mythology that is really 'black' in the normal magic color sense.

are you kidding me ? Mummys, embaulming, sacrificing stuff... god... you could a single expansion with black with this stuff...
Sorrel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mummys are not evil in Egyptian mythology - it's the way to protect the dead on their way to the afterlife.

Even Set is more of a god of Chaos then a god of Evil - he does good stuff too, protecting Ra and people in chaotic circumstances.

There's little evidence of human sacrifice in Egypt beyond first Dynasty, and most of that was during first dynasty to let people serve their pharoah in death, which wouldn't really be seen as an evil thing.

I'd argue that if we're using a mythology, we should try to be semi-true to where it's coming from.
san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for Norse covering the colour pie is not that hard. Sketchy mythology:

Odin is Blue (mind, magic), plus sides with white (kingship,law) and black (death)
Thor is Red (lightning) and Green (fertility, peasants)
Frey is Green (fertility) and white (kingship)
Freyja is Green (fertility)
Loki is Red (Chaos), with blue (trickery, deception) and black (destruction, corruption) sides.
Hel is black (death)
Heimdall is white (protection, order)
Tyr is white (law) and red (war)
The midgardsorm is red, Fenrir is red/black, surtr too.

dwarves (dvergar) are red / artifacts
Elves (álfar) are white-green (fertility-light0
Giants (jotnar) are red (chaos,earth), but also black, green, and blue (ice, water)
Draugar are black undead.
Einherjar and Valkyries might be black/white.

Plus tons of artifacts and legends to add. And we can put Berserk in it. Very Happy
san

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maya/Aztec/Incan is truly cool, but I cannot help, I dont have knowledge.

Egyptian is tricky, their ideas about death were quite particular...
Sorrel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Norse works pretty well, and it seems people interested so far know it.

I think the set would work better without multicolor, though, or at least keeping it to a minimum - Norse mythology doesn't seem very multicolor to me for some reason.
san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, especially if it has to have an old school feeling, like AN.
fr3dom07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or a good idea would be greek mythology!!!!! YESSS THAT IS , WHAT HAVE KAMIGAWA THAT IS BETTER THAN ALL THESE WE SAID???!!!!!!
MaR10s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you can export a set from MWS in .txt format, which can be used by other people to install it.
san

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, we can copy the model of text spoilers, and then import it in mws, and save it as a separate base (and/or add it to the master base).

I think we could start by defining some guidelines, like number of cards, mechanics and so on.

On mechanics I thought:

Berserk: activated ability which grants the creature +X/+0 and trample til the end of turn, but destroys it after. This is, berserk spell. Basically a red/green ability.

Armour X: prevents the first X damage done by each source each turn. It can be static or activated.

And rarity should be only C, U, R. M sucks.
Sorrel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be cool to make a ND patch too, although it's a pain to get those all synched up, and designing a set so it works well for limited is a good deal tougher.

I like the idea of sticking to C/U/R, as well.

Berserk as an ability will make R/G really aggro, unless we just put it on just a few things.

The second ability already exists in magic - Absorb, although it's only a single card from Future Sight, which is templated a little cleaner, I think. Armour is much better name for our theme, but limits us from putting it on some legendary monsters that would benefit from it. It tends to push back against aggro, as an armor 2 creature can block 2/2s with impunity and even attack without risking itself against them. I think that's pretty good thematically, although I think it should mainly be saved for legends and equipment.

There's a bunch of good thematic equipment here.

What are we really aiming for with this set in terms of feel/how it plays/etc? What will set this set apart from others besides theme? I think we should try to figure out exactly what we're aiming for before we build anything, because otherwise we'll have less basis for comparison.
Sorrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://netdraft.wikispaces.com/CustomPatches

Nammfoodle's guide. You may also need Perl to run the script.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2