Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foil Cards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Foil Cards Reply with quote

Hey I am going to one of those 5k events next week probably and I was wondering what the rule on using foils is.

Someone told me unless your entire deck is foil someone could call you on having just some foils in your deck. Is that true? The deck I wanna use only has 4 x Student of Warfare foil. I didnt order foil idk why they sent me foil but thats what I got. =/
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foils are naturally slightly bent.
You must make sure your foil playset is not bent, as this is considered as using marked cards.
wdeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really difficult to get it called on you unless your foils are bent, or the only foils in your deck are a certain card or a few certain cards (in your case your playset of Students). If I were you I would try and find a replacement asap, cause there are enough tools at a 5K thinking they're worth a damn who will rules lawyer you to try and get ahead, and that's one of the ways if they notice that is your only significant foiled card.
R0B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you want normal ones, i'll trade you a set for a foil set. Shocked Lol Razz
Seriously, you should be fine though.
Nixus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they aren't bent or warped, you should be okay. There are definitely some people who will call anything they can on you because they feel they need every advantage they can find to win. These guys are probably the ones who have no life anyways. (You are allowed to pity them.)

You can avoid the whole problem by playing with all non foil cards, which I recommend if you are having second thoughts about your cards.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using foils. They are perfectly legal. There is, however, something wrong with using marked cards. Marked cards are not legal. Whether or not your cards are marked is independent of whether or not your cards are foil.

If you have 4 cards in your deck that are significantly more warped than the other 71, those cards are marked. It doesn't matter if those cards are foil or not. The only thing with foils is that they tend to become warped easier. Simply make sure your cards are not marked, both foils and non-foils, and you'll be fine.

Also worth noting, asking a judge before the start of an event and being told the cards are OK doesn't guarantee anything. The card may be fine when the judge looks at it but may be marked 9 rounds later.
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me to take the foils and put them under a heavy book to eliminate heavy warping. So I might do that. He said it also might help to have more foil cards if I cant get rid of the Students since at the moment its 4 x Foil Student and 1 x Foil Plains. And Student is all...ya know...good.
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTGmanLA wrote:
Someone told me to take the foils and put them under a heavy book to eliminate heavy warping. So I might do that. He said it also might help to have more foil cards if I cant get rid of the Students since at the moment its 4 x Foil Student and 1 x Foil Plains. And Student is all...ya know...good.

It won't help to have more potentially marked cards...

If you ask a judge and he reckons your 4 cards are warped, you can ask to get judge-issued proxies to use in place for the event.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At any rate, unless you're playing in the pro tour, a marked cards penalty just gives you a warning for the first infraction. My friend got one at GP Richmond because he wasn't using card sleeves on his sealed deck and one of his cards kinda got bent.
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Quest WW has Students but my other deck is foil free cept for like a mountain (its Kuldoltha Red) but I really wanna use my Quest WW cause I think the field is gonna be like mostly UB Control and I think my Quest has a better chance at beating that then my Kuldoltha Red does.

So I hope the foils arent a problem. I found one guy with a set of 4 non-foil students and he wouldnt even trade them for foil ones =/
Tao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell that guy he's a complete douche
Kookie_Mnstr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude i'd trade my non foils for your foils anyday lol. but why are you using student for WW quest? i used to then traded them out for kor duelist. i've found the duelist is alot better for the deck than the student..
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive found the complete opposite. I only got 4 equipments. Kor Duelist without an equipment = lame. Student doesnt need an equipment to be useful. I have won games using only a level 7+ student double striking people in the face.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clariax gave a very complete answer. Marked cards are marked cards. If your foils are OKAY then it's not a problem. But if someone calls a judge then the judge might see 4 foils and have a bad impression.
Solution #1 is trade down for normals at the event.
Solution #2 trade for some other foils to balance it out.
Solution #3 (do this anyways) take care of the foils.

@3... Putting them in a book does nothing. The foil layer is less dense than the cardboard and as it gets moist or hot it tightens up easier than the carboard. this is why foils warp. to counter the warp you want to bend inside out the outside 1/2cm of your cards. this not only stretches the foil so that it won't bend as easily, but also naturally combats existing warp. there's your science lesson for the day. to fix foils bend backwards (dont crease, just roll) from 1/2 centimeter from edge. you should do it to all foils every couple of rounds.

in a collection you can keep foils in better shape by keeping them back-to-back in a binder or by pressing the box tight with basic lands or whatever. both work.
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris wrote:
At any rate, unless you're playing in the pro tour, a marked cards penalty just gives you a warning for the first infraction. My friend got one at GP Richmond because he wasn't using card sleeves on his sealed deck and one of his cards kinda got bent.

That's not true. I was playing the first turn of the italian nationals when i clearly recognize a sprouting trinax foil dci on the top of my opponent deck, i've call a judge and my opponent took a game loss.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2