Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Destroying a creature hit with Demonfire

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a creature dealt damage this way would be put into a graveyard this turn exile it instead, not that hard to figure out if you just read the card
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter how the creature is destroyed. Just that it is destroyed in the same turn that it was dealt damage. So yes, it would be exiled in both examples.

Also, gypsy, be nice.
Magx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:
It doesn't matter how the creature is destroyed. Just that it is destroyed in the same turn that it was dealt damage. So yes, it would be exiled in both examples.

Also, gypsy, be nice.

WRONG!!!

Yes it matters : the card says " ... dealt damage this way", so it means it has to be destroyed by Demonfire. Not if it's dealt damage by another card in the same turn.

if you would do the reverse : ping with Cunning Sparkmage and THEN, do "lethal damage" with Demonfire, it would work since it would be destroyed by Demonfire.
wdeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magx wrote:

WRONG!!!

Yes it matters : the card says " ... dealt damage this way", so it means it has to be destroyed by Demonfire. Not if it's dealt damage by another card in the same turn.

if you would do the reverse : ping with Cunning Sparkmage and THEN, do "lethal damage" with Demonfire, it would work since it would be destroyed by Demonfire.

You sir are actually incorrect. As long as the creature was dealt a single point of damage with Demonfire (also works the same with Magma Spray) and then goes to the 'yard the creature is RFG'd instead.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magx wrote:
Hardtrack wrote:

Also, gypsy, be nice.

WRONG!!!

This is why rules forums should ban all non-judges from answering questions. Even if someone answers a question correctly, a judge always gives the indepth answer afterwards anyways.

I mean, if you guys are in the process of recoding the site, maybe there's room for this..
wdeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Watches this thread fall off the cliff* Rolling Eyes

Nothing wrong with being incorrect when it comes to interpreting how a card in Magic works. So the fact your insulting him Jonproject is quite pathetic. We've all been terrible at Magic and didn't know how cards actually worked. So insulting someone for not knowing an actual ruling is just sad, insulting someone when they gave a halfway decent explanation of why they thought a card worked another way is probably worse...

I actually had to reread Demonfire again just to clarify what I thought was the right answer because Magx actually made a logical argument.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magx wrote:

but I still can't understand why it says " dealt damage this way"... To me, this part of sentence OBVIOUSLY MEANS : " the targeted creature has to be destroyed by Demonfire for it to be removed from play"....

I would like a real in depth answer on this, plz

"Demonfire deals X damage to target creature or player. If a creature dealt damage this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead."

Not sure how much more in depth it's possible to get. "If a creature dealt damage this way..." doesn't say anything about lethal damage, just damage. Being dealt 1 point of damage is "dealt damage this way. "...would be put into a graveyard this turn..." doesn't care how it would be put into the graveyard or why, just that it would be put into the graveyard this turn. It could take lethal damage from Demonfire, it could get hit with a terror after the demonfire, it could get put in the graveyard due to the legend rule later in the turn. Why it goes to the graveyard doesn't matter, just that it goes to the graveyard.

On a separate matter, it's impossible for something to be "destroyed by demonfire." Demonfire deals damage, it doesn't destroy anything. State-based actions will destroy the creature if it has lethal damage. A minor distinction, but in some cases, extremely relevant.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've deleted quite a good part of this thread.

If you don't understand a card, just ask. And if you don't like the tone of somebody, either ignore it or simply don't answer. Because otherwise it will spiral out of control like it just did.

I think the answer of Clariax should explain everything, so I'm going to close this.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1