Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upkeep question

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Delicious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Upkeep question Reply with quote

What is the difference between "at the beginning of your upkeep" and "during your upkeep"? Would i still choose how the abilities go on the stack?
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one triggers at the begining of your upkeep and goes on the stack after you untap,

the other allows you to play instants or activated abilities before you can put it on the stack
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, be sure to check the Oracle text of cards because many old cards had triggered abilities that triggered 'during the upkeep'. They have all been errated to 'at the beginning of the upkeep'.

'At the beginning of the upkeep' is a trigger condition for many triggered abilities.

'During the upkeep' is now only used on activated abilities as a restriction to when you can play it. It's not used very often nowadays, one of the most famous ones being Hell's Caretaker and a recent example being the Augur cycle from Future Sight.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't really search, just used the first one that popped in my head. But yes, that's a more recent example Smile.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1