Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A New Look At Big Red

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed
AEonFlux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: A New Look At Big Red Reply with quote

This is My/ A New Look at Big Red. Shaped for more than brute.

-Creatures-
4 Wurmcoil Engine
4 Kuldotha Phoenix
4 Oxidda Scrapmelter
4 Iron Myr
4 Leaden Myr
2 Hoard-Smelter Dragon
2 Molten-Tail Masticore

-Spells-

4 Koth of the Hammer
4 Galvanic Blast
2 Mimic Vat
2 Shatter

-Land-

20 Mountain
4 Glimmerpost

~SideBoard~
4 Ratchet Bomb
3 Liquimetal Coating
2 Hoard-Smelter Dragon
2 Shatter
2 Mimic Vat
2 Molten-Tail Masticore

Ok since their are many forms of Big Red in SOM Block Constructed I wanted to give it a new look. So here it is.

Win Conditions:

4 Wurmcoil Engine-

The Explanation here is fairly simple. Running 3 of this card is like voting for Sarah Palin. Some people would, but why do something like that? It is embarrasing. This card brings so much power. It plays well against shatter effects with its Token ability. And It plays well against Red for its Lifelink. And great against fattys with its deathtouch ability. This card should always be a 4 of in this format.

4 Kudoltha Phoenix-

One Word-Metalcraft. With all the removal in this format. This card is just too good with its Metalcraft ability. And it is a quick 4.

4 Koth of the hammer-

This one is obvious, its only weakness is aggro/red.

Semis(Half-Control, Half Win-Condition):

2 Hoard-Smelter Dragon-

In this block meta, it is too powerful to have an non tapping Activated ability that destroys artifacts. Unfortunately I really think their is too little room to run more than two of him. His ability is what is decent. Not him. Never Need for more than two of him

2 Molten Tail Masticore-

A great fatty remover. Amazing burn ability. And regeneration make this beast, a beast. Great in the mirror. Great Combination with Kudoltha Phoenix. Unfortunately his speed and trigger, make him also no more than a 3 of in this format.

Note: I figure with the two of these, the best to do was split them.

The Support:

4 Oxidda Scrapmelter-

Average cost of a 3/3? 3cc. Average cost of artifact removal? 2cc. Total cost combined 5cc. This cards cost? 4cc. This is an amazing card for this block. It is a decent creature, but its "Shatter" is what makes it. A Must have 4 of in this deck, in this block.

4 Galvanic Blast-

An obvious staple red variant of lightning bolt. A Must. Metalcraft just makes it even better.

2 Shatter-

It is a Mirrodin block, there are more artifacts than color cards. This is an obvious choice. However 4 could be argued. With all the other removal i feel just two are in need.

2 Mimic Vat-

A true power of control, all i can say about this card is, wurmcoil engine. Well, and maybe oxidda scrapmelter. Not bad after you shatter an artifact fatty either. I feel 2 is the best choice, drawing multiple really only benefits you when they are being shattered,etc.

4 Iron Myr-

A contribution to metalcraft, but more importantly the lead 2cc mana source to get out Koth/Masticore/Oxidda on turn 3, and kudoltha on turn 4.

4 Leaden Myr-

This card is just as iron myr. A contribution to metalcraft, but more importantly the second lead 2cc mana source to get out Koth/Masticore/Oxidda on turn 3, and kudoltha on turn 4.

Land Explanation:

4 Glimmerpost-

Why disrupt the mana base you may ask? Well with 4 Iron Myr producing red I feel it allows for 4 colorless land. With Red being the most common deck in the block. Gaining a potential, 10 life is a great thing. There are still 24 red sources in the deck. I feel this card is just right for the mana base.

Sideboard Choices:

4 Ratchet bomb-

A Great Choice against Aggro.
-4 Koth (He is way too threatened in this match up to keep in)
+4 Ratchet bomb

3 Liquimetal Coating-

This is for decks with little artifacts, Control and Infect

-1 Hoard-Smelter Dragon vs Infect. (Not many artifacts in this match up)
or
-1 Molten-Tail Masticore vs. Control (I prefer HS Dragon here because of Wurmcoil and Myr Battlesphere)
-2 Mimic Vat (Stealing infect creatures does nothing for you. And you run faster than this card against control)
+3 Liquimetal Coating

2 Shatter-

Great Choice for Artifact heavy decks, Architect, and Metalcraft aggro.

-2 Mimic Vat (You're deck plays too fast for this card in these match-ups. And "Mimic" -ing small creatures is useless.
+2 Shatter

2 Mimic Vat-

A Choice for decks with heavy removal and the Mirror. I feel it gives you an advantage in the mirror

-2 Leaden Myr (He is going to get removed fast, so why not make him a threat instead? His mana is not as necessary in these matchups)
+2 Mimic Vat

2 Molten-Tail Masticore-

A Choice against the mirror, Regeneration is the here. Also Good against Liquimetal Coating.

-2 Koth (Really he is going to get burnt out, so 2 allow you to use him just as a Koth removal)
+2 Molten-Tail Masticore

2 Hoard-Smelter Dragon-

Also A Choice against the mirror, his ability and the fact that he is not an artifact make him a good choice. Red has a hard time removing him without a Liquimetal Coating.

-2 Leaden Myr (You would rather draw threats in this match up)
+2 Hoard-Smelter Dragon

A-List of No-Shows:

Myr Battlesphere- I feel there are way better cards than this one to take up its slots.

Precursor Golem- He is way too vulnerable in this block

The Ending:

Let me know what you think of the deck and explanations. Thoughts and comments welcomed. Criticism also welcome.
SpookyBurger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick post, i think glimmerposts upside is a little overrated in this deck, you won't be losing to quick beats you'll be losing to being crushed by the better board. blue ramp can get away with it most cause their bombs are artifacts, also posts don't combo well with phoenix. THOUGH i could be a little to conservative

what are your thoughts on leaden myr over paladium myr? trying to up ur turn 3 koth draws?
spudfuss2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is this a new look....looks like the exact same list except you cut good cards for leaden myr
SpookyBurger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, mimic vat and masticore aren't usually in the md. neither is glimmerpost
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Scars of Mirrodin Block Constructed All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1