Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create-a-Card Round 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Welran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Spy | U

Creature Human -- rare

U, reveal Master Spy from your hand: Look at the target player's hand, the top card of that player's library, and any face-down creatures he or she controls. You may play this ability any time you could play an instant.

"There is nothing you can hide from me" - Enarus the master of spy guild.
1/1
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welran wrote:
You may play this ability any time you could play an instant.

You don't have to say that, it's an activated ability, that's when you can activate those unless they say otherwise.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendiggy wrote:
As long as Genesis Incarnate is in your graveyard and you control a land of each basic land type, creatures you control have Vigilance, Flying, Swampwalk, Haste and Trample.

That is a Static Ability, not an Activated Ability. Please edit.

KnowN wrote:
Demon's Door
Demons Door is black

This card has two abilities. That is a Static Ability, in addition to the Activated ability. Please edit.
KnowN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my card. When should I make round 5?
Halldir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

So KnowN wins?Smile
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombies! | No casting cost (Black)
Creature - Zombie (Uncommon)

0: Put a copy of Zombies! into play. You may play this ability from the graveyard, only once per turn and only if a card named Zombies! is in your graveyard.

2/2

"Brraaaaiiiinnnnssssss"

- Yes, you can use this ability on the copies when they're in play provided that Zombies! is in your graveyard. This is to simulate how a Zombie Horde spreads. So I think this falls under the rules since you'll only be using the ability on THIS card while it's in the graveyard.

Last edited by Bob_A_Wilson on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Tao

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris wrote:

- Yes, you can use this ability on the copies when they're in play provided that Zombies! is in your graveyard. This is to simulate how a Zombie Horde spreads. So I think this falls under the rules since you'll only be using the ability on THIS card while it's in the graveyard.

No, you can't. A card referring to it's own name means "this card", not any card with the name.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gay.

edit: there ya go

edit edit: this card still doesn't work right.

edit edit edit: there ya go, and screw DCI and their ignoring logic. No wonder Richard Garfield left this game to the whores at Hasbro.
Sorrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forsaken Experiment - 4BBBB

Sorcerycycling 2BB(3BB, discard this card: Search your library for a sorcery card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library)

8/8
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rakdos Initiate (2)(b/r)
Creature - Demon

2(b/r)(b/r), Exile two creature cards from your grave yard: Black and/or Red creatures you control gain flying and haste until end of turn and gain, "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a permanent." Sacrifice each creature you control at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability any time you could play a sorcery and only if Rakdos Initiate is in your graveyard.

2/2
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entries closed. Judging in the next few hours.
kumagmd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am I the only one who submitted a common? and a card that's not uber powerful? =)
Halldir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is so uber on ench that in grave makes zombies?Smile
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whut?
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules:

R3: Create a card with just one ability. This ability must be an Activated Ability. This Activated Ability can only be activated in a zone other than the Battlefield, e.g. Lightning Storm or Kuldotha Phoenix.

---

Judging:

Necro Gardna WB
Creature Soldier Spirit
Remove Necro Gardna in your graveyard from the game: Untap target attacking creature your opponent control and remove it from combat.
2/2

2/2 body even seems a little small for this guy. I have a slight problem that the ability has no activation cost so can allow out-of-colour Fog effects.

Ancestral Inspiration | 2U
Sorcery - Rare
Pay 1 Life, 2U: Draw a card. Activate this ability only if Ancestral Inspiration is exiled and only when you could cast a sorcery.
Now how come I had never thought of this...?

I don't really get why this card has a regular casting cost. You are never going to be hardcasting it. Paying life is a out of flavour for blue but the ability seems nice.

Lowly Peon G
Creature - Orc (common)
Exile Lowly Peon from your hand: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
'Ready to work!'
1/1

A nice cheap common and a good combat trick. My concern here is that, at only G, it is difficult to get value from this card as it's an unimpressive 1/1 and a somewhat lacklustre Giant Growth. A vertical cycle of these cards may be interstinfg. The 2/2 (for 3?) version would probably have won this outright. Orcs in Green?

Fury of the Necromancer |BB1
Enchantment- Rare
BB: Put a 2/2 zombie token into play. Use this ability only if Fury of the Necromancer is in your graveyard.
Yes, I'm dead, but that makes my fury even bigger than when i was alive!
- Lim Dul, Necromancer

I don't really get where "fury" fits into the flavour of this card. The Zombies aren't red, don't have haste or any sort of offensive power bonus. The ability should state that "2/2 black Zombie creature token". This may have been more interesting if the card itself was a Necromancer creature.

Shadow-Striker | 4BB
Creature - Vampire Spirit (M)
2BB, Reveal Shadow-Striker from your library: Put Shadow-Striker onto the battlefield from your library. Activate this ability only if Shadow-Striker is in your library and only if an opponent has 5 or less life.
In Malakir, one musn't show weakness under any circumstances.
5/3

6 mana for a 5/3 is a pretty terrible deal. The activated abiliy (rules issues aside) also does not seem very good. If your opponent has 5 life, you are still waiting at least a turn to attack with this. While out of colour, this seems like it really wants haste.

Outgrowth Baloth | 5GG
Creature - Baloth
Forecast — 2GG, Reveal Outgrowth Baloth from your hand: Target creature gets +3/+3 and trample until end of turn. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)
“One, two, thr... WHAT IS THAA”
-Yelled the crushed goblin.
7/7

Interesting re-use of Forecast, although I'm sure the UW Azorious may have something to say about Green stealing their mechanic. Falvour-wise, I don't like how this forecasting can give a creature trample, but this card itself does not have trample. It seems well balanced apart from that.

Summoner of the Abyss | 3BB
Creature - Wizard Avatar (Mythic)
Exile Summoner of the Abyss and a black creature card from your hand: Put X 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the total power and toughness of the creature card exiled this way. At the beginning of the next end step, exile all Zombie creature tokens.
"Welcome to the edge of your life. The abyss beckons."
4/3

No mana cost to activate this ability means it is just unprintable. I Draw. At your EOT, I exile this andDeath's Shadow. Put 13 2/2s into play and attack on my first turn for 26 points of degenerate combat damage.

Elvish Loam Burster, 1G
Creature - Elf Shaman
G, shuffle Elvish Loam Burster into your library : Add GG to your mana pool and return a land from your graveyard to your hand. Use this ability only if Elvish Loam Burster is in your graveyard.
"Your attempts to destroy me only strengthen my cause."
2/2

One-shot mana acceleration is red and makes this card a little more complicated than it needs to be. As a simple loam guy it is quite nice.

Wasp Nest GG
Rare
Enchantment
G: Put two 1/1 Green Wasp tokens with flying into play. Use this ability only as long as Wasp Nest is in your graveyard.

This card is just too powerful.

Blessed Entity 1W
Creature - Elemental Uncommon
2WW, Exile Blessed Entity: Return an artifact card or white creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if Blessed Entity is in your graveyard.
1/1

The reanimation cost is undercosted, as you do get a body in addition to the Reincarnation effect, especially when you compare it to the recent Salvage Scout which can only return Darksteel Colossus to your hand, and this card is never card disadvantage.

Jace's Clock - 0
Legendary Artifact - MR
Reveal Jace's Clock, exile your hand: Scry X, then draw X cards, where X is half the number of exiled cards, rounded up. Activate this ability only if Jace's Clock is in your opening hand.
"Mad cheats dawg"
-Jace, Mind Sculpta

See Serum Powder for a more balanced and printable version of this card. This would break eternal in half.

Bull Heaven, Burned but Rebuilt
Legendary Snow Land (Mythic Rare)
Return Bull Heaven from your graveyard onto the battlefield: You get an emblem with "All cards that aren’t on the battlefield, spells, and permanents you control become tribal and are Minotaurs in addition to their other types".
"They called me insane in 2011 when i started buying up all Didgeridoos i could put my hands on"
- John Smith, WotC owner

Lands need to tap for mana. I don't get why this doesn't effect cards that are actually on the battlefield. Also, the flavour text references "real life", that's bad.

Genesis Incarnate WUBRG
Legendary Creature - Incarnation
As long as Genesis Incarnate is in your graveyard and you control a land of each basic land type, creatures you control have Vigilance, Flying, Swampwalk, Haste and Trample.
5/5

This is a Static Ability, not a Triggered ability.

Demon's Door | 4BBB
Creature | Uncommon
Return Demon's Door to your hand and exile target creature from any graveyard: Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield. You may only play this ability if Demon's Door is in your graveyard.
0/0

This card does not work under current rules, as it "targets" as part of the cost of the ability. I love the fact that it is a 0/0 creature, even if it does lack a creature type, so you can play it as a hardcast reanimation spell. However, the lack of an activation cost on the effect means that this is just beyond nuts in dredge and graveyard based decks.

Phyrexian Necromancer | 3BB
Legendary creature -- Zombie Wizard (R)
exile Phyrexian Necromancer from your graveyard:Each player exiles all creature cards from his or her graveyard, then sacrifices all creatures he or she controls, then puts all cards he or she exiled this way onto the battlefield. Creatures gain haste. Exile all creatures at end of turn. (activate this ability only during your upkeep)
2/2

Again, no activation cost means this is even more nuts in graveyard-based decks. At least Living End made you wait a few turns...

Master Spy | U
Creature Human -- rare
U, reveal Master Spy from your hand: Look at the target player's hand, the top card of that player's library, and any face-down creatures he or she controls. You may play this ability any time you could play an instant.
"There is nothing you can hide from me" - Enarus the master of spy guild.
1/1

As was already said, you can play abilities at any time you can play an instant, so the last sentence is not necessary. As a Telepathy variant on a creature, this is quite interesting could use a useful 1of in some decks but not a card people would be happy to see as their rare.

Forsaken Experiment - 4BBBB
Sorcerycycling 2BB(3BB, discard this card: Search your library for a sorcery card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library)
8/8

I assume this is a creature. Some flavour text would have been nice to help explain how exactly this functions. It is also unclear whether this ability costs 2BB or 3BB. Nice but unfinished.

Rakdos Initiate (2)(b/r)
Creature - Demon
2(b/r)(b/r), Exile two creature cards from your grave yard: Black and/or Red creatures you control gain flying and haste until end of turn and gain, "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a permanent." Sacrifice each creature you control at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability any time you could play a sorcery and only if Rakdos Initiate is in your graveyard.
2/2

It is quite difficult to rate this card's power level in the abstract. As a 2/2 for 3, it is not ideal for the B/R aggro sui-decks that it would seem to work best in. The ability seems fairly costed. Haste doesn't seem relevant (as you spend your mana on playing this ability or a creature with summoning sickness). Flying is very out of colour pie. Fear/Intimidate might have been better here. A nice throwback to Rakdos' own ability but it strikes me as "win more" because the only time you are likely to use the effect is when you need the evasion to get you 'over the line'.

---

Result:

Winner: Lowly Peon, a nice common utility creature that makes for some very interesting gameplay decisions.

Runner-up: Master Spy, a very relevant effect in the right circumstances.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4