Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Archetype: Kuldotha Red

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Archetype: Kuldotha Red Reply with quote

I plan on building this deck, so finding the cheapest route for me is gonna be important as I am an avid pot-head and enjoy spending the width of what little capital I earn on illicit drugs. So with no further ado:

20 [M11] Mountain (1)

4 [ZEN] Goblin Bushwhacker
4 [M11] Ornithopter
4 [SOM] Memnite
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

4 [SOM] Chimeric Mass
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
4 [SOM] Kuldotha Rebirth
4 [SOM] Mox Opal
4 [SOM] Panic Spellbomb
4 [SOM] Galvanic Blast

SB: 4 [SOM] Shatter
SB: 3 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
SB: 4 [M11] Dragon's Claw
SB: 4 Tunnel Ignus

Testing
- vs UR Pyromancer: 2-0 win, easily outraced. Might be my best matchup.
- vs Mono Green Eldrazi Ramp: 2-2, I won the first 2 games, game 1 after he got Ulamog out, and game 2 I won on the 3rd turn. The third game I would have won had I not wasted a bolt on a wall and he followed up with All is Dust the next turn. 4th game, 2 Obstinate Baloths hit the field and he played defense till he could ramp out a big Eldrazi. All-in-all, I would say that game one is probably about 75% in my favor, with games 2 and 3 just being a matter of lucksacking out. Perhaps I need some SB options against this deck?
- vs Mono Blue Control: 2-0, won by round 3 both games. Pretty easy.
- vs Mono Black Control: 2-2, inquisition and duress are a problem for this deck, and consume the meek as well, but on turn 2 of the first game, my opponent was at 2 life, so it seems like this matchup is a lot like Mono Green Ramp in that it requires a hefty dose of luck. So game 1, I drop 2 memnites, a mountain, a mox opal, and 2 Goblin Guides, taking my opp down to 16. Turn 2, I drop a Goblin Bushwhacker and swing for 12. Hands like that almost never happen, but when they do....daaaammmmnnnn.
- vs UG Allies: 2-1, I got milled game one...yeah, that's right, milled. It was pretty cool. Anywho, never saw any removal that game. The next two went much better. I wouldn't call this deck teir 1 by any stretch, by any data is good data.
- vs Mono Green Eldrazi Ramp: 1-3, what can I say, luck is beginning to present itself as more and more important. Obstinate Baloth is definitely a big deal to me, but is it bad enough to have Flame Slash sb?

Revision History
Dec 30: -4 Ratchet Bomb, +4 Tunnel Ignus for the Mono Green Ramp matchup
Also considering running devastating summons.

Last edited by Bob_A_Wilson on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:35 am; edited 7 times in total
archmage521

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: deck Reply with quote

mox opal is quite expensive...u should replace it with panic spellbomb. it is cheap effective and has synergy with kuldotha rebirth. put in devastating summons. it is a good card and you are already running bushwacker. burst lightning> galvanic blast no matter how you slice it. you should look for decklists that people have already won with.

also: 1 game of testing is NOT ENOUGH
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm adding the testing as I do it.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why Mox Opal is so expensive, it is only useful in a very small number of decks, but I suppose 2 more artifact-heavy sets means that it'll find it's use later on.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices for Mox Opal: (All prices in USD)

Starcity Games: $19.99
Troll and Toad: $13.49
Ebay: $10-$20
Amazon: $14.95

Those are just a few places. Not as badly priced as I would have thought.
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono Red
sxehxcamf
Type II

Main Deck:
3 Ember Hauler
3 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Guide
1 Goblin Ruinblaster
1 Koth of the Hammer
4 Memnite
3 Spikeshot Elder

3 Burst Lightning
3 Kuldotha Rebirth
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Panic Spellbomb
3 Searing Blaze

16 Mountain
2 Smoldering Spires
3 Teetering Peaks

Sideboard:
2 Devastating Summons
1 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Leyline of Punishment
2 Mark of Mutiny
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Shatter
3 Tunnel Ignus

Thats my deck that I use irl. It was insane cheap even with Koth just over 110-115 or something like that. I maindeck a Ruinblaster because by me valakut is the most common deck. The last time I played FNM (yes its just FNM) with this I went 3-1-1 then lost in Top 8 when my deck decided to not produce burn for 5 turns. dubyaTeeEff? =/
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTGman: how does the land-base perform with the come into play tapped lands?
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris wrote:
MTGman: how does the land-base perform with the come into play tapped lands?

Alright now. When I first used it, it had 4 Peaks and I kept drawing hands of like Guide and other 1 drop stuff but only lands were come into play tapped ones. But I cut a peaks and since then ive only had that problem once or twice.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a mod sticky this?
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most lists ive seen either run mox OR chimeric mass. I'd run mass as I see no reason to run mox. Mass late can just be another guy. You need a lot of good things to happen for mox to add you a mana (if built the way I would build it), and that mana is only useful 1 or 2 turns.

I would play searing blaze, arc trail, forked bolt. You want to remove blockers with this deck. Flame slash also. I might cut lightning bolt for this =/ I've seen people do it.

You should be running the goblin lord instead of ornathopter imo. It literally does nothing but the lord makes all the guys threats.

I might build this deck also. I have no money so it seems somewhat viable. Scoop to UW control, but every budget deck besides pyro ascension does.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having some fun testing this version (not much changed, just streamlined imo)
// Lands
16 [SOM] Mountain (1)
2 [WWK] Smoldering Spires
3 [ZEN] Teetering Peaks

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Bushwhacker
4 [M11] Goblin Chieftain
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [SOM] Memnite
3 [SOM] Spikeshot Elder

// Spells
2 [SOM] Koth of the Hammer
3 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
4 [SOM] Kuldotha Rebirth
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
4 [SOM] Panic Spellbomb
3 [WWK] Searing Blaze

It freaking rapes valakut, and has a fun control m/u. Sure, inquisition and duress slow you down, but not by much. and even if UW hits a fourth turn DoJ, it still can lose. I dont know what the problem with MGE eldrazi is...its pretty much a solid win m/u. I have the most trouble against other aggro m/ups, elves is pretty hard even with a post sb ratchet bomb. Boros is pretty hard too, without a god hand a boros or a mirror match is probably the worst m/u.
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have trouble with Elves caesar? I played elves at my last FNM and beat it 2-0 in like 15 minutes. Probably helped that he walked right into my ratchet bomb. dropped his hand of 1 drops then I dropped bomb, 1 counter, next turn BOOM. And the 1 drops were his mana. He had two forests and a hand full of stuff that costs 3+ so...yeah.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, that would help lol. But yeah, bombs are the best vs elves.
Tao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cunning Sparkmage out of the board is sick vs boros, elves, vamps, weenie quest, mirror
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: things the deck needs Reply with quote

How do you get more cards? or simply needs less 1 for 1 and moar card advantage it's very powerful on the start but once everything gets answered it goes down hill fast.

koth keeps some mid game balance
spell bombs are only good when you need to remove a blocker but a bladed pinions is just as good.

I really hate the red rush idea seems to go into mid range way to often getting stalled by a firststriker or you just don't draw new threats and jace gets online and fateseals.

Pyroclasm/ratchet bomb just owns this by turn 2 and you have what left 2 cards?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4