Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create-A-Card 2 Competition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
dv8r

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Create-A-Card 2 Competition Reply with quote

From last thread:

These forums are always too quiet. How about a competition? The rules are simple:

1. Judge posts the card criteria;

2. People make card(s) based on the criteria;

3. Judge picks a winner; and

4. The winner becomes the judge for the next round.

---

R2: Designing FUN: A Johnny/Spike engine card which seems powerful and is fun to break, but which you like less and less every time you play with it or it is played against you

Name | Mana Cost
Card Type -- Subtype (Rarity)
Ability Text
Flavour Text
P/T
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umezawas Jitte
dv8r

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, this is clearly a very poor choice for a card to design because it punishes good, simple design Razz

bonus points will be awarded for making the card read (doesn't have to play, just read) as simply as possible
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entombing Mage | 1B
Creature -- Human Wizard (U)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield from your graveyard, you may search your library for a creature card and put it into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
Coffins are made to be filled.
2/1

A good engine for universally hated graveyard-based decks.

Last edited by Farseer on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm; edited 7 times in total
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Counter | 1U

Legendary Creature - Human Counter Counter (Mythic Rare)

Whenever a player successfully counters a spell, put a counter on Counter Counter.

Remove a counter from Counter Counter: search your library for a blue or multicolored instant with converted mana cost 2 or less. Reveal that card and put it in your hand.

"He counts the counters with counters." -Hindu Proverb

0/3

Illustrated by S. Dali

Edit: Can't believe I left that out.

Last edited by Bob_A_Wilson on Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ivshapiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spellbinding Mage | UR
Creature -- Human Wizard (Mythic)
(2) You may chose new targets for target spell. You lose two life.

When Spellbinding Mage enters the battlefield you may return target instant or sorcerry card from your graveyard to your hand.

2/2
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Vacuum | 4

Artifact (Rare)

If a player would draw a card, any player may pay two life or discard a card to prevent this effect and instead put a counter on thought vacuum. When thought vacuum leaves play the last player to resolve a spell, draws cards equal to the number of counters on thought vacuum.

'Break me and the world is yours.'

Illustrated by L. DaVinci

Did I take the words fun to break a little to literally:P

Also I'll give some thoughts on the card as I believe thats what they do at wizards.

I initially had the cost at 3 but I felt the ability in aggro to go 1 drop, 2 drop, drop this and slow down any control decks progress to a hault on turn 3 was far to good.

I think the card is actually quite skill intensive which is something I always look for when I make a card, due to my own views on how I think the game should develop. You can do neat things for example such as filter your own dead cards by discarding if you are going to break it but this can backfire. Also knowing when you can not afford to pay any-more life or what cards you can and can not afford to discard.

You could also build decks that aim to abuse the graveyard with the card.

If the card does become broken for the most part its pretty easy to hate out, just like font of mythos and such, at 4 mana though it does not suffer from the huge drawback font often does if it is immediately broken. So the more you play it, if its successful the less you will like it as its going to run into more hate.

Also everyone is going to hate playing against after a few times much like statis as not being able to draw any cards is not fun. Even more so when your opponent breaks the card and all those extra cards that could have potentially been yours are now his.

I think the card should allow for some crazy necropotence like effects in control mirrors, which will be fun for someone and in other games also but which side is going to get the effect is always a question, though clearly you can build your deck to put the chances in your favour the risky element of the card I think makes it exciting and fun, to start with atleast.

Last edited by GreenBear on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 8 times in total
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farseer wrote:
Silencing Mage | 1WU
Flash
Players cannot play spells until the end of your turn.
2/2

I don't think that's templated right. Should either be "Players cannot cast spells on your turn" or "When ~ Enters the Battlefield, players cannot cast spells until end of turn." Depending on which you wanted.

My submission:

Gero, Mad Genius|2UR
Planeswalker-- Gero
+2: Draw a card, then discard a card.
-1: Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
-6: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may draw a card"
[4]
Tao

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB Savra's Blessing
Legendary Enchantment (Mythic)

G, tap, sacrifice a green nontoken creature with power 1 or greater: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card and exile it. You may cast that card until end of turn without paying it's mana cost. Put all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in any order.

Savra knows the past and future lives of all she deems worthy.

Last edited by Tao on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ffancrzy wrote:
Farseer wrote:
Silencing Mage | 1WU
Flash
Players cannot play spells until the end of your turn.
2/2

I don't think that's templated right. Should either be "Players cannot cast spells on your turn" or "When ~ Enters the Battlefield, players cannot cast spells until end of turn." Depending on which you wanted.

My submission:

Gero, Mad Genius|2UR
Planeswalker-- Gero
+2: Draw a card, then discard a card.
-1: Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
-6: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, you may draw a card"
[4]

The players cannot play spells until the end of your turn is a biatch no matter when you play this. You play this during your opps turn, you ain't casting anything till the end of your turn. But with the way it's worded right now, that ability resolves when the creature resolves, instead of triggering when the creature comes into play, which could be Stifled.

And that is maybe the most useful Planeswalker I have ever seen.
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace's Rage

2RU
Sorcery
Destroy target creature. You draw cards equal to that creatures power or toughness.

Your power...is MINE!

edit: for typos.
xxapathyxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicol, The Aerial Supremist 2UBB
Planeswalker-Mythic

+1 Reveal the top card of your library. If this is a creature card you may put it into play. If a creature is put into play this way, Nicol,The Aerial Supremist takes damage equal to its converted mana cost.
+0 Target creature gains flying and shroud until end of turn.
-3 Until end of turn, creatures you control get +2+2 and can only be blocked by creatures with flying.
-7 You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, its destroyed unless it has flying.

Loyalty counters:4

"Take to the airs my brethren! We must fly to achieve glory, and earn our rightful place in the skies."
Broketoaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Card Reply with quote

Name: Grave Infiltrator
Mana Cost : 1UB
Card Type : creature
Subtype: Human Wizard
(Rarity) Mythic
Ability:
Island Walk
Shroud

When this creature deals damage choose 1 of 2 options:
A: Place island counter on target opp. land, this land is an island in addition to its other types.
B: Return target sorcery from your graveyard to your hand.

Flavour Text : I walk from the seas, and the grave.

P:1
T:1
Duodax

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaling U
Sorcery C
Reveal the top five cards of your library. You may choose a card among those cards which has not the highest converted mana cost among cards revealed this way and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle all other cards revealed this way into your library.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxapathyxx wrote:
Nicol, The Aerial Supremist 2UBB
Planeswalker-Mythic

+1 Reveal the top card of your library. If this is a creature card you may put it into play. If a creature is put into play this way, Nicol,The Aerial Supremist takes damage equal to its converted mana cost.
+0 Target creature gains flying and shroud until end of turn.
-3 Until end of turn, creatures you control get +2+2 and can only be blocked by creatures with flying.
-7 You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, its destroyed unless it has flying.

Loyalty counters:4

"Take to the airs my brethren! We must fly to achieve glory, and earn our rightful place in the skies."

Ok, that +1 ability is a thing of beauty. I was reading it going 'Overpowered, more overpowdered, wow, that is overpowdered, oh, cool drawback!'
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4