Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retired sticky: UW Control

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Retired sticky: UW Control Reply with quote

Due to traditional UW rarely appearing in top eights at the moment, this thread has been de-stickified.

Having been listed in many pro tours and even worlds UW shuts down aggro fast but seems to lack in the control matchups and against eldarazi but, even then it's not a complete rollover and can win even those matches.

This Archtype UW Control is pretty determined to stay on top It's changed alot in those weeks and has only gotten stronger elimination some of it's weaknesses of it's predecessor below. Alot of people seem to be taking 2 matches pretty easy with UW.

//NAME: UW Control
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Seachrome Coast
4 Tectonic Edge
1 Mystifying Maze
1 Scalding Tarn
4 Plains
4 Island
4 Mana Leak
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Day of Judgment
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Journey to Nowhere
4 Elspeth Tirel
4 Luminarch Ascension
4 Preordain
3 Jace Beleren
4 Condemn
SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 Journey to Nowhere
SB: 3 Flashfreeze
SB: 4 Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 3 Celestial Purge
SB: 3 Negate

overview
Considered by most a "Tapout deck" since the power of tempo really gets ridiculous when the Jace the mind sculptor Draw engine starts cranking it's gears.

The idea behind the deck is it can prevent staple cards from being resolved. While, taking advantage of the board with Manlands and token generators for creatures perferably after a board sweep and a clear exhuastion of the opponents tempo focusing on the control element to the most efficent means possible to keep the intiative.

How to achieve a win playing this deck
four factors make this deck hard to win against

1.Tempo after jace 2.0 is on the feild
-bounce effects
-counterspells
2.surviving a board sweep
-days of judgment
3.keeping up with draws and lands
The draw engine is what make the deck powerful

- turn one preordain

Poroto wrote:
I have to dissagre with the "turn 1: Preordain" A blind preordain is a move that always make a diffrence bettewn an experienced player and the rest for me.
How can you play a preordain without even know what your opponent has? And that is even more important in control decks considering that your strategy is to counter the enemy strategy, it would be different with a combo or aggro deck but in this case preordain must be saved for the late game.
Just a tought

Being proactive, it allows for you to maintian that draw advantage of being 1 draw behind when on the play, and when you are behind a turn. if it was an instant I would understand the logic holding out since, it's not the extra draw lets you be ahead and better assess you next couple of turns. If you have 1 mana open on first turn why not take advantage of it? If you hold out on it you won't be able to play it till after turn 5. Yes, I do agree on turn five you are more able to get a more controlled draw and see what you are drawing before a preordain.

- turn two Luminarch
against some decks this turn might be a hold out for a chance to counter since alot of nasty 2 drops can happen like a ratchet bomb. but mostly it is good to drop it as soon as possible. to take advantage of turns when they are setting up. If you see red drop it. if you see green drop it if you see black drop it before they duress it.

- turn three jace beleren (jace 1.0)

- turn four set up field with a Days of Judgement(DOJ)

If you played right they seen you have all mana tapped out and possibly over-extended. good players hardly overextend if wise enough to know you have DOJ in your deck always be alert for open mana sources before you cast against blue spell peirce can ruin your day. thats why you have condemn for those players who just won't over extend and keep pinging you for 1 or 2 not laying any creatures. never trade DOJ for destroying one creature unless you can't answer it with jace or other removal. like pro-blue or shroud creatures

- turn 5- 9 control control draw

You must keep drawing in order to win most matches thus, why so many draw effects in the deck. don't trade a mana leak for something doj,jace the mind sculptor, condemn or journey to nowhere can take care of even colonade can surprise some players.

4.keeping up with auto creature effects
- luminarch ascention pay 1w: = create a 4/4 flyer

if protected well this can win games. as long as the opponent dosen't resolve a summoning trap on turn 4 and get the eldarazi combo.

- celestial colonade

As a "four of" in the deck I rarely never draw two in one game. In regard to an opening hand you might want to assess whether to mulligan if you have too many come into play tapped lands and the order you want to place thosealso the color those lands produce before you say "keep."

- Elspeth Tirel + Leyline of sanctity
This combo is good against valkalut, big red , boros quest
gives you creatures + lifegain and mass removal without them being able to bolt it down. mono RED decks can't remove this easily.

UW- control the recent deck to beat in the trial came out on top vs a heavy red offense.

The Side Board

SB:Leyline of sanctitiy in the opening hand equals, red has to use all it's burn on removal. They could sb in ratchet to deal with this but as a 4 of it will not be likely.

SB:Negate for control deck match ups

The other cards are obv.

Best cards againt this deck are
RATCHET BOMB and tectonic and anything that removes enchantments. since the deck has no creatures but, relies on tokens and man lands.

The most CURRENT list,

// NAME: UW Control Version 2
// Lands
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
3 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
5 [M11] Plains (1)
6 [M11] Island (1)
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [M11] Glacial Fortress

// Creatures
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk

// Spells
2 [M11] Condemn
1 [ROE] Deprive
2 [M11] Cancel
2 [M11] Mana Leak
4 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 [ROE] Gideon Jura
3 [M11] Day of Judgment
1 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
4 [M11] Preordain
2 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
2 [M11] Jace Beleren
4 [ZEN] Spell Pierce

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [M11] Condemn
SB: 1 [M11] Day of Judgment
SB: 3 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 1 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
SB: 1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
SB: 2 [M11] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [M11] Celestial Purge
SB: 2 [M11] Negate

Why the Changes?

Spreading Seas

This saves space and reduces the number of techtonics needed vs valakut matches also giving a "cantrip" ability draw a card to replace itself for another card.

Gideon Jura

The power of this card really becomes apparent when you want to get rid of a titan when s/he drops it on turn 4-5. this became the thought of many player facing the problem of recurring/bouncing a titan and giving them feild advantage or wasting a doj on one titan. Allowing them to overextend and win after that.

Spell pierce

Makes them wish they never cast duress and reveal how many counters you don't have, with all the hand disruption cards and being one mana short of something after preordain or casting something. This allows you to defend a little easier.

Squadron Hawk

Alot of players look at this card and think, I can search for 3 birds that deal one damage. (Whoopdi-Doo). Too often, they overlook the mechanic and why that makes it good in this deck.

Four Good Reasons for Squadron Hawks: By - Ehri

I. It attacks opponents planeswalkers/ prevents
    luminarch ascension

II. It blocks vs aggro and protects your
    planeswalkers

III. They give you additional shuffle effects
    (jace), you can search for 3 hawks
    brainstorm put 2 back play the 3rd hawk
    search -> (u actually drew 2 extra cards)

IV. They thin out your deck

Last edited by ManaLeak on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 27 times in total
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we get a sticky done by someone who knows that with leyline in play they cant burn planeswalkers and thay it is for the valakut matchup
P_P4E

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're running luminarch ascension maindeck, you NEED some proliferate. I suggest contageon Clasp, which isn't terrible at this point anyway against lotus cobra or treespeaker or something like that anyway.
Trinquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a bad list.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need anything, thats bolov0s list and im pretty sure hes better than everyone on here
caesarthehun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no creatures (not even any titans) and your win conditions are...jace,elspeth,luminarch. This build sucks. I really don't care if you just copypasted the whole list from the last trial and added some comments, this list is trash.
I would prefer a copypasted list more like:
1 Scalding Tarn
4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Glacial Fortress
1 Arid Mesa
4 Seachrome Coast
3 Plains
5 Island
4 Tectonic Edge
2 Frost Titan
2 Sun Titan
1 Into the Roil
4 Mana Leak
4 Condemn
3 Jace Beleren
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Preordain
2 Gideon Jura
2 Journey to Nowhere
2 Ratchet Bomb
3 Day of Judgment
2 Spell Pierce

I would like to put an elspeth tirel in this deck for jura, but i think it has better mu's vs non aggro decks
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do u need creatures?
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
I am contemplating making a post that explains what a sticky for an archetype requires. They aren't really heavy, but the requirements involve a bit of work.

Basically, if someone an archetype sticky will need to show that someone has done their homework on whatever deck they want to cover. The purpose of such a thread is not only to discuss builds, but to explain/discuss theory and give folks a sort of an education on the deck.

The OP for this thread is extremely thin in content. A thread that gets stickied will be representing a respected archetype and as a result, will need to give the archetype its due respect...if that makes any sense.

Completely and I agree. yet I haven't seen anyone willing to put the work in on this archetype so I am hoping to start one. i don't care if its a collaberative one or one engrishskill does himself. I believe these simple stickies help magic players [not being a ] like me understand teir one decks better and the possible theory behind deckbuilding. i was hoping that an analytical approach to this deck would help me understand it. but I am human and ERror alot. as gyspy pointed out.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poroto wrote:
I have to dissagre with the "turn 1: Preordain" A blind preordain is a move that always make a diffrence bettewn an experienced player and the rest for me.
How can you play a preordain without even know what your opponent has? And that is even more important in control decks considering that your strategy is to counter the enemy strategy, it would be different with a combo or aggro deck but in this case preordain must be saved for the late game.
Just a tought

Being proactive, it allows for you to maintian that draw advantage of being 1 draw behind when on the play, and when you are behind a turn. if it was an instant I would understand the logic holding out since, it's not the extra draw lets you be ahead and better assess you next couple of turns. If you have 1 mana open on first turn why not take advantage of it? If you hold out on it you won't be able to play it till after turn 5. Yes, I do agree on turn five you are more able to get a more controlled draw and see what you are drawing before a preordain.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: couple days Reply with quote

Got to study for finals in school so, I might not post for a couple days but i will try to read what I can.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squadron hawk + elixer is nice.

Singletons, do they improve the overall probability of the deck to hit its mana target equal to number of turns.
like on turn four days of judgment is consistently hitting the curve at least on paper or is the diversity because of Memorcide and sacrament?

I noticed your deck does look alot like Ehri's list on last trial.Is there something I am missing with the current trend of dropping luminarch ascension or is it just to make space for gideon to add power level of the deck but sacrificing curve.

// NAME: UW Control - Ehri

// Lands
1 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
3 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [SOM] Plains (1)
4 [SOM] Island (1)
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [M11] Glacial Fortress
2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn

// Creatures
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk

// Spells
2 [M11] Condemn
1 [ROE] Deprive
2 [SOM] Stoic Rebuttal
2 [M11] Mana Leak
4 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 [ROE] Gideon Jura
3 [M11] Day of Judgment
1 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
4 [M11] Preordain
2 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
2 [M11] Jace Beleren
4 [ZEN] Spell Pierce

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M11] Day of Judgment
SB: 3 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 1 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
SB: 1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
SB: 2 [M11] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [M11] Celestial Purge
SB: 2 [M11] Negate
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinquin wrote:
Thats a bad list.

It's updated Very Happy now.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Nick spagnolo's UW deck Reply with quote

This is Nick spagnolo's UW control list from worlds

// Lands
1 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
4 [M11] Glacial Fortress
1 [WWK] Halimar Depths
1 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
3 [M11] Plains (1)
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
3 [M11] Island (1)

// Creatures
2 [M11] Sun Titan
1 [ROE] Wall of Omens

// Spells
3 [M11] Day of Judgment
3 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
1 [M11] Foresee
3 [ROE] Gideon Jura
3 [M11] Jace Beleren
2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
2 [M11] Mana Leak
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
3 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
2 [SOM] Tumble Magnet
1 [SOM] Contagion Clasp

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M11] Jace Beleren
SB: 2 [M11] Celestial Purge
SB: 4 [M11] Flashfreeze
SB: 2 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 2 [SOM] Elspeth Tirel

First game I played with it.
G1 rape on vamps tumble magnet and gideon for the win after a day of Judgement.

Deck discussion

I want to see what your comments are on this build and possible ways other decks might deal with it.
Trinquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManaLeak wrote:
Trinquin wrote:
Thats a bad list.

It's updated Very Happy now.

Thank you O:

Both lists are much better tuned. The past 2 weeks I've gotten first at my FNM with 2 seperate UW builds.

The First I ran a singleton venser and he was a power house every game it seemed (In top 8, game 1 agaisnt Quest took 40 minutes lol, I went though 3 jtms, 2 beleren, 2 gideon, 1 venser, 4 colonades, I finally won with sea gate oracles. I had 1 non land permanent left in the entire deck, which was a useless wall of omens.) I wouldn't ever want to hit a second Venser tho. I think as a one of hes pretty insane. But I was running more of build that interacted with him and come into play effects:

4 Wall of Omens
3 Sea Gate Oracles
2 Sun Titans (Reoccurring Tectonic edges/Ratchet Bombs)
2 Bane Slayers (Vigilance on a BSA is pretty hard to beat)

The next week I ran Kiblers Hawk Control. It was prolly one of the most boring FNMs ever, but I didn't drop a game nor below 10 life and was never behind.

The hardest game was B/R Vamps, but I had near perfect draws.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest match up I have been facing is is Mono Green Eldarazi with summoning trap.

I have been contemplating in putting in leonin arbiter and mindbreak trap for this matchup but it would have to be a 4 of for my fnm is
5% - Pyromancers acension
10% Aggro - Vamps/Mono Red/kithkin
15% UB Control/UW Control
30% RG Valakut
40% Eldarazi

So I am always facing eldarazi or valakut in the first match.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3