Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dredgevine Is Awesome

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Dredgevine Is Awesome Reply with quote

Did a lot of testing with it, did well in the trial today. Any improvements that I should make?

// Lands
5 [SOM] Forest (1)
3 [M11] Island (2)
3 [M11] Swamp (3)
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
3 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit
3 [SOM] Darkslick Shores

// Creatures
1 [ROE] Gigantomancer
2 [SOM] Molten-Tail Masticore
1 [M11] AEther Adept
1 [ROE] Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
4 [ROE] Vengevine
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
4 [M11] Birds of Paradise
3 [SOM] Necrotic Ooze
4 [M11] Fauna Shaman
4 [ROE] Enclave Cryptologist
2 [ROE] Thought Gorger
1 [B] Royal Assassin

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SOM] Molten-Tail Masticore
SB: 2 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 2 [M11] Doom Blade
SB: 3 [M11] Autumn's Veil
SB: 3 [ROE] Unified Will
SB: 2 [SOM] Memoricide
SB: 2 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
Here are some of the results from the trial:

I went 2-1 first round to RW Eldrazi. I won even though he had 2 Wurmcoil Engines out. He had 1 tapped from a previous attack, 1 untapped, and I had VVs out, 2 Bloodghasts and a Creeping Tar Pit. All is Dust was annoying and so was Day of Judgment. Memoricide helped get rid of those, however.

Round 2 was vs. rUG Control. Game 1 I won with fast Vengevines and Bloodghast. Game 2 he lost by his 5th land drop as I had a turn 2 Vengevine and then a turn 3 Vengevine. I sided in Doom Blades to kill Frost Titans.

Round 3 was vs. Metal Red. Game 1 he just went nuts on me. Game 2 he didn't see his 3rd land drop and I had a turn 3/4 Vengevine to attack. Game 3 was the same where it took him a while to get his 3rd land and I just won.

Round 4 was vs. Gracco's sideboardless Elf deck. Game 1 he exploded in front of me and I couldn't do much. Game 2 Molten-Tail Masticore just won me the game. Game 3 I had too many lands and he won.

Some of the deck allstars were cards like Drana, Vengevine, and Bloodghast. Bloodghast in my games got in for so much damage it was ridiculous. I have since upped the Masticore count to 2 and upped the Aether Adept count to 2. I also put in a 4th Ooze and put in 2 Ratchet Bombs in the sideboard to help with Elves.

Last edited by DeVoursneyNR on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What deck did you lose to?
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracco's Elves is what I lost to which didn't bother me too much since we are on the same team. After that match I took out the Dopplegangers, made room for Ratchet Bomb in the sb and added another MT Masticore and Necrotic Ooze to the main board.

In the trial, the decks I beat were RW Eldrazi, rUG Control and Metal Red(whatever you want to call the Kuldotha Rebirth deck).
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the hedron crabs in this deck for?
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManaLeak wrote:
whats the hedron crabs in this deck for?

To put Vengevine in the GY, there is a reason it's called "Dredgevine"
Mizukage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs moar doomed necromancers
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic deck! tried it out for myself and yeah, it is brutal, would you mind explaining your sb choices, how you sb, and how you play bloodhusk ritualist? I found in my testing that a lot of the times I was to short on black mana to really do any damage with him.
ManaLeak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah now it all makes sense.
clayparson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with various dredgevine lists as well. I don't like black in the deck at all. Bloodghast doesn't do enough of anything that matters, and the Ooze combos are slow, awkward, and easy to disrupt. Straight UG has a much better mana base, is just as explosive, more consistent, and allows you to more easily play sweet cards like that Jace dude, Trinx->Memnite, and even Grand Architect to power out Masticores, Wurmcoils, and Eldrazi Monuments.

However, if you insist on staying on the black wagon four ooze seems like too many, and drop creeping tar pits for darkslick shores.
Kazhw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ur list Very Happy i played the dredgevine1.0 Very Happy i think its is better Very Happy

i really need to get time to play at ml Sad
jfc
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

wow, i brought to deck to ml in this t2 imo. i was playing a list with 4 enclave, 2 triket mage with 4 thopter, 4 tome scour and 4 preordain, i won 2-0 to halo_lover ub xP

what did you thought about my list?
GDP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedron Crab use to bin 5/5 demons, 3/2 discard specters, AND Vengvines.
Now its just Vengvine and *cough*bloodghast*cough*.
It is not enough at all.
When playing vs Dredgvine I use to have to kill Crab right away always. Now, I just let it sit there as they pop fetches and bin useless cards.
The chances of binning a VV the when you play it or untap with it the first time are pretty low, you will most often need at least 2 turns with it, and then you might get something like 1 Vine (yeah sometimes you will get lucky but if you are trying to just luck into wins like that then play Quest).
When you start looking at it like that, knowing that Crab most often won't provide you with more than 1 Vine, wouldn't just another threat that always does damage be better?
Sure the Crab only costs 1, so turning out a Vengevine with it is cost efficient to say the least, I don't think the chance of such an extreme wait are worth the mana saved.

Yeah, you get 2 Crabs and its going down, but when we start talking about draws like this, once again, why not play Quest (which has much more frequent nuts draws)

RUG and R/W Eldrazi (unless they have hella Condemns) sound like the best possible matchups for any Shaman/Vengevine deck in the first place.
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aqualad33 wrote:
fantastic deck! tried it out for myself and yeah, it is brutal, would you mind explaining your sb choices, how you sb, and how you play bloodhusk ritualist? I found in my testing that a lot of the times I was to short on black mana to really do any damage with him.

The one Masticore in the board is to bring in against Elves because I find them to be good vs. Elves. The Nature's Claims are there mainly just if my opponent plays Journey to Nowhere on a Vengevine. The Autumn's Veils aren't that bad against UB, but I will probably replace them. Unified Will is mainly to counter Control deck Frost Titans or Wurmcoils. The Memoricide are for decks that use really only one wincon and the Ratchet Bombs are for Metal Red and Elves.

Also, I'll be changing up my mana base to look more something like this for the Ritualist:

// Lands
4 [SOM] Forest (1)
3 [M11] Island (2)
3 [M11] Swamp (3)
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
2 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
1 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
2 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit
2 [SOM] Darkslick Shores

One more thing. The Hedron Crabs don't just mill Vengevines. They also mill Gigantomancers, Masticores and Drana for Necrotic Ooze. Also, Fauna Shaman in the graveyard is not that useless when I have out a Necrotic Ooze. I don't just win with Vengevine, it just happens to be the number 1 game plan with Necrotic Ooze being the next game plan.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some cards to consider: steel helkite, Pestilence Demon, kalitas, bloodchief of ghet, royal assasin (they have to tap their elves for mana), soliton, vector asp.

not saying all of these are particularly useful now, but good to keep on your radar (especially royal assasin, and steel helkite if you are having trouble with elves).
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated the list a bit. I got some advice from Miqu and he determined that Enclave Cryptologist is better than Crab which is true. So, -4 Crab, -1 Aether Adept, -1 Bloodhusk Ritualist, +3 Enclave Cryptologist, +2 Thought Gorger, +1 Royal Assassin.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2