Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

multiple frost titans

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Dinnella

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: multiple frost titans Reply with quote

Somehow my friend had two frost titans in play (I think mimic vat end step and on turn or something), and their opponent plays a spell or ability that targets one of the frost titans. Do both frost titan's trigger and try to counter the spell/ability, or just the frost titan being targeted. Frost titan's ability reads: Whenever frost titan becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless that spell's controller pays 2. My gut instinct was that the ability refers only to that frost titan (as opposed to an ability that said "whenever a Giant you control...") so the untargeted titan would not trigger. However, it was ruled at a local fnm that all frost titans a player controls trigger to counter a spell/ability an opponent controls that targets any frost titan that player controls. Is this correct?
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the frost titan who is being targeted by the spell or ability will trigger, not both. It saying frost titan on the card just refers to itself not all frost titans in play.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever a card has it's name in the text just imagine it says "this card". If it means all cards with the same name it will specify, see Ivory Guardians as an example.
R0B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your FNM judge is a tard. Very Happy
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic: The Gathering Comprehensive Rules wrote:
201. Name

201.4. Text that refers to the object itís on by name means just that particular object and not any other objects with that name, regardless of any name changes caused by game effects.

Your gut instinct was correct; "Frost Titan" refers only to that particular card, not to all cards named "Frost Titan" on the battlefield.

Therefore, the triggered abilty of the un-targetted Frost Titan will not trigger.
Dinnella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, problem with my fnm is the judge is a "rules advisor" at best =/. Once I re-certify as a judge I'll be the authority at the store so mistakes like this won't be made. Ty for the responses.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1