Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best Ramp deck? (Without considering UGR)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Frozen_Fire
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: What is the best Ramp deck? (Without considering UGR) Reply with quote

The title says it all. We know that we could build several decks with...

X Forests
4 Primeval Titan
3/4 Explore
2/4 Cultivate

and so forth. The problem is: which one of them is the right choice and why? Don't get me wrong, Eldrazi Ramp, Valakut Ramp and some kind of Wave Ramp have some variables and you can't say that X is strictly better than Y (otherwise, everybody will just play X and leave the others alone). I want to investigate on those variables. Imagine that you have:
-A blind metagame
-An aggro-prevalent metagame
-A control prevalent metagame
What would you choose to play and why? (If possible, use specific lists or specific SBs when discussing)

Greetings,
Frozen_Fire Smile
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about your meta game. Mono-G is better vs. some decks RG is better vs. others of course what decks they are better against depends on your build. What version you play should depend on your meta. I think Mono-G is better vs. most of the relevant decks but at the same time it's gotten so good that a lot of the hate for RG Ramp has died down which might make it the better choice even when it is not the better deck overall. If people are prepared for RG I'd play G since RG is much easier to hate out especially for right now I think most people are playing mono-G overall which means RG is the way to go since a lot of the deck built to prey on Mono-G like Goblins you get answers for in GR in Pyroclasm and such.
Frozen_Fire
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, in my local metagame there are some kids that play monored decks (but they aren't prepared to face Eldrazi Ramp, so I'm quite fine with Baloth and Ratchet Bomb), some black/based ones and some elves deck. For now, since I think that everyone is geared against red, I'm playing Eldrazi Ramp because valakut decks in general could suffer some sideboard option like Leyline of Vitality and then will have a hard time to cast Pyroclasm succesfully. When facing MonoG elves, what is the strategy to keep with Eldrazi Ramp? What are the sideboard cards of choice? For now I'm testing the full set of All Is Dust and 3x Ratchet Bombs.

Greetings,
Frozen_Fire Smile
kumagmd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play ramp, too - and my sideboard cards of choice does vary. Actually, I think it depends on your playing style. I like to include Plummet - I hate Baneslayer spoiling my day, as well as Linvala (I use critters to accelerate), Abyssal Persecutor and (my own personal foe) Demon of Death's Gate.

for the elves... I guess there's no other way to go but to go faster than they do. Ratchet bombs work - but there's just so many darn elves to kill.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elves is a bad M/U for mono-G because they are fast and they can bring in that elf that makes All Is Dust useless. That is one of the decks where GR has a better chance.
Trinquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is Dust > Elves.
Frozen_Fire
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've tried both decks and I agree to Engrishskill, MonoG is monodimensional and has a harder time on facing aggro decks than valakut, but I still think that is a viable deck, the only weak point that I've found so far (besides fewer removal) is the fact that you draw a limited number of bombs and if they got somehow wasted you suffer an amount of blank draws. About Valakut ramp, what is the version that you have in mind? Also, a strategical question: Valakut uses green to ramp, but I still haven't realized if every starting hand without access to green (whitout forests or Evolwing Wilds) is supposed to be bad and then you have to mulligan. Any thought on this?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1