Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UR fiend deck update

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: UR fiend deck update Reply with quote

// Lands
8 [M11] Mountain (4)
5 [ROE] Island (2)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
3 [M11] Terramorphic Expanse
2 [ROE] Evolving Wilds
2 [ZEN] Soaring Seacliff

// Creatures
3 [ROE] Surrakar Spellblade
4 [ROE] Kiln Fiend
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide

// Spells
4 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 [ROE] Staggershock
3 [WWK] Searing Blaze
4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
2 [ROE] Distortion Strike
3 [SOM] Koth of the Hammer
3 [SOM] Arc Trail
2 [M11] Foresee

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [SOM] Volition Reins
SB: 1 [M11] Brittle Effigy
SB: 3 [ZEN] Into the Roil
SB: 2 [M11] Negate
SB: 1 [M11] Elixir of Immortality
SB: 3 [ROE] Forked Bolt
SB: 3 [SOM] Trinket Mage

after much more testing, this is what I have so far.
card descriptions:

surrakar: This card forces my opponents hand. he is a card that my opponent MUST deal with immediately or suffer falling far behind to card advantage, which buys me another hit with goblin guide, koth or burn.

kiln fiend: if he sticks he drops my opponents life total a lot. I hardly ever loss if I get a turn one goblin guide turn two fiend, he is just a ton of damage in one body.

goblin guid: my mvp, he hit's fast, and lets me spend my burn without fear of running out of burn later.

jace: I love this guy (...but who doesn't love the cross format couple hundred dollar card) he does SO much for the deck. He can bounce a blocker that is in the way of guide or spellblade, he can draw a ton of cards (and with all the fetch lands and burn, it is awe inspiring sometimes), and if you are playing a war of attrition, you have a win con. Jace is awesome (...shocker).

staggershock: great 2-1 considering all the 2 toughness creatures out there or 4 points to the face, and a great buff for the surrakar and fiend

seering blaze: another great 2-1 burn spell, love it on the early turns, especially with the guide, turn one guide 18 life, turn two blaze kill their blocker swing 13 life on turn 2, I have enough burn from there

lightning bolt: pretty obvious what this does, hit's everything, creatures, face, it's the general awesome burn spell

distortion strike: love playing this card. This card usually becomes relavent when your opponent is making his big play. When your opponent taps out to drop a big threat and leave a big blocker up to stop your next attack, this lets you slip by and hit for a min. of 3 damage which can get you into the critical burn range where you can steal the win. Also lets surrakar draw you mad cards if your opponents missed his critical removal spell.

koth: the big man! In this deck, he is awesome! 4/4 land every turn that sorcery speed removal cant stop, and after that he can turn my lands into pingers which means that I no longer have to worry about whether or not I'm going to run out of gass.

arc trail: sweet 2-1 suggested by another ml member, great card, does fantastic work, and it burns more.

foresee: at one point someone suggested that I play preordain, after some testing however I realized that preordain was not a good fit. If I were to be playing a drawish spell, I wanted something a little bigger, and jaces ingenuity was a little bit to expensive and I didn't like the uu in its casting cost. I wanted something that gave me a big leg up in the card advantage dept, but wasn't too pricey. This card does its job and fits very nicely in my curve.

sb:
trinket mage + elixer + effigy: trinket toolbox, elixer for rdw and control, effigy for eldrazi ramp

reins: answer to a lot of stuff, plus it steals bombs and turns games around.

into the roil: can help me steal wins, bounce a planeswaker eldrazi blocker artifact, nice utility card, sometimes you can kick it, but you usually don't

negate: improves the control matchup, great card to side in for seering blaze if you want to side it out but dont know what else to side in

forked bolt: kills elves very well plus its a shock if you need to end your opponent.

so far this is what my deck has evolved into, it applies a lot of pressure and has a lot of control elements to it, it's sideboard is pretty flexible and can deal with a lot of the top tier decks, please post your comments and concerns about this deck. Much appreciated guys
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a huge fan of foresee, card quality and advantage all in one, is a nice deal. However its making your deck allot more clunky than it needs to be 9 4 drops is too many.

I think Kargan maybe worth a test as he lowers the curve and is a decent threat in himself and the curve on this is now not looking so pretty.

That or maybe jace 1.0 just burn him out 3 times and then drop a big jace. I think, I like that more.

Still think this deck has a ton of potential, as it really abuses koth and jace in the same deck and I have not seen any other decks capoeable of doing that.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should board a "big" option to go to against RDW. They will simply burn out your creatures and completely wreck you. I'd play something like Wurmcoil Engine or possibly Sphynx Of Jwar Isle for this. 24 lands plus maybe a lucky koth survival +1 or if you have to -2 would be enough sources to play a couple 6 drops post board imo.

Sbing into trinket mage doesnt make much sense. People maindeck it for its toolbox capabilities and boarding it in would result in you not include all the toolbox cards (no elixir in this matchup, no effigy in that matchup) and make you wish you either maindecked it or not included it at all. Cut those spots for more anti-red stuff.

I'd cut foresee maindeck. Little jace, preordain, more burn are all better card advantage options. If you're looking for a top of the curve option, I would go with a 1 of comet storm or something like that. It kills blockers really well and acts as instant fireball against control when they tap out mid-late game. IDk if its right, but just about anything is better than foresee in this deck.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the trinket mage so far in testing because against control it goes and grabs the elixer and shuffles everything and gets me the 5 life, and the next trinket mage can grab it again and give me another 5 and shuffle up again. It also recks havok on control decks.

I was actually thinking wurmcoil would be a good idea, but i was a little weary of the idea of including him because of his cc. I'll give him a try

foresee is actually right where I want my draw spell, top of the curve and dives deep into my deck to grab an answer, 9 cards at the top of my curve seems to fit perfectly considering everything else costs less. The early rounds usually consist of hitting with a guide and burning creatures. Usually on turn 4 the board is pretty clear and I'm wanting to dig for more burn or drop a massive threat. I might try out little jace instead though, we will see how he works out.

kargan I really don't like. Not only is he double red so I cannot consistently get him out on my second turn, but he eats up red mana at sorcery speed, which is just too much mana investment.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aqualad33 wrote:
I really like the trinket mage so far in testing because against control it goes and grabs the elixer and shuffles everything and gets me the 5 life, and the next trinket mage can grab it again and give me another 5 and shuffle up again. It also recks havok on control decks.

I was actually thinking wurmcoil would be a good idea, but i was a little weary of the idea of including him because of his cc. I'll give him a try

foresee is actually right where I want my draw spell, top of the curve and dives deep into my deck to grab an answer, 9 cards at the top of my curve seems to fit perfectly considering everything else costs less. The early rounds usually consist of hitting with a guide and burning creatures. Usually on turn 4 the board is pretty clear and I'm wanting to dig for more burn or drop a massive threat. I might try out little jace instead though, we will see how he works out.

kargan I really don't like. Not only is he double red so I cannot consistently get him out on my second turn, but he eats up red mana at sorcery speed, which is just too much mana investment.

"Dig for an answer"....

The only card in your deck that can "answer" anything post foresee that you wouldnt probably get from preordain due to numbers is jace the mind sculpter. Half the time you want to use jace as an answer, it's against jace...

You're trying to be proactive with this deck, and foresee is reactive the way you claim to use it. Your deck doesnt even have mana leak... What are you digging for? It's only +1 card. You really should put something else in.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1