Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do I Beat A Knight Deck?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
R0B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: How Do I Beat A Knight Deck? Reply with quote

A guy who plays FNM in my town runs mono-white knights every week, and beats the s**t out of me. His deck uses Knight Exemplar, White Knights, etc, and pumps them with Ajani. Furthermore, he makes them all indestructible, and uses proliferate to give them each two +1/+1 counters each turn, while keeping Ajani at full counters. I'm tired of getting beaten by this, so I ask you, the community, to help me beat this white menace. I want a deck constructed to not only beat him, but to completely stomp his face.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Steppe Lynx
4 Elite Vanguard
4 White Knight
4 kor Aeronaut
4 Kor SkyFisher
4 Student of Warfare

4 Journey To Nowhere
4 Condemn
4 Honor of the Pure

4 Arid Mesa
4 Marsh Flats
16 Plains

SB
4 Celestial Purge
and whatever else you want
Egren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be a douche and just say *play a better deck* since i doubt that deck is even near the power level of "real" decks, but let's not, and instead, I can give you some basic pointers.

So, his dudes get indestructible because of knight exemplar. There are other kinds of removal, especially in white, to deal with that. Condemn and Journey To Nowhere are two really good cards that kill practically anything. Then also, he's pumping out dudes, so just kill them with Day of Judgment if he doesnt have knight exemplar out.

Pyroclasm still works with 2/2s and a single Knight Exemplar out. It might seem odd at first but let's walk through how it works:
So, Knight Exemplar is a 2/2, and makes the other 2/2s into indestructible 3/3s. Well, you play pyroclasm, and each creature takes 2 damage. That will kill Knight Exemplar. Now what happens? Well, the other guys aren't indestructible anymore, and they are also 2/2s again.

So it is very rare that one single Knight Exemplar is going to make that much of an impact on the game except for Day of Judgment. If he gets two though, you're practically narrowed down to the other two white removal spells. But that just isn't supposed to happen. The chance of getting 1 card in your opening seven if you have 4 in your deck is roughly 40%, or 44% if the player who has them draws first. But one isnt the problem. They only become *good* if you get 2. Having two in your starting 7 only happens 6% of the time.
Of course it is slightly more complicated since you have to consider mana issues, a chance of drawing them in the few draw steps before it's time to cast them, but still back-to-back lords on turn 3 and 4 isnt going to happen more than 10% of the games. And when you add to that the possible removal the opponent plays, you can conclude that you will practically never stick 2 knight exemplars.

So. I recommend this, depending on the colors you are running:
White: Condemn/Journey to Nowhere/Day of Judgment
Blue: Mana Leak
Black: Doom Blade. Smother exists too but isn't as powerful with all the titans, baneslayers, and whatnot running around.
Red: Lightning Bolt, Pyroclasm
Green: Look for colorless alternatives, or just play an additional color unless the green deck in question is Eldrazi Ramp, in which case you are just playing a better deck (which, however, is soft to fast aggro decks)
The colorless alternatives are All is Dust or Ratchet Bomb.

There you go. There are tons of ways to deal with it. Go with what fits your deck the best, you don't need to change the whole deck for it.

Also, just a general tip, if your opponent already has a lord out, and you are afraid of another, keep mana up for a doom blade/Lightning bolt/any other instant removal you are playing, and kill the one in play in response to the other.
ik
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Knight ;D
Chefy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that deck can't beat Mono Green Eldrazi mana ramp with Summoning Pact and MD All is Dust.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1