Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two new affinity list for states (rw)(uw)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, I've said that a few times. Kinda like my irking at calling color combinations from the alara block, but I digress (I still do respect the ravnica guild colors just because....well damn, best set ever I would guess).

The RW list is of particular interest to me because I've been trying this out. I'll tell you right off the bat that ratchet bomb is gonna fubar you each and every time. Here's what I've been testing:

4 Ornithopter
4 Memnite
4 Steel Overseer
4 Myr Smith
4 Glint Hawk Idol
4 Chimeric Mass

4 Tempered Steel
4 Galvanic Blast
4 Lightning Bolt

4 Mox Opal

4 Arid Mesa
8 Mountains
8 Plains

SB:
4 Eldrazi Monument
4 Brittle Effigy
4 Condemn
3 Ratchet Bomb

Problems I see with your build:
1.) Come into play tapped lands neuter the speed of your deck.
2.) Only 2 Steel Overseers????! That card is really awesome!!

Problems I see with my build:
1.) 4 Mox Opals may seem bad, but repeats can be tossed to Myr Smith for extra Myrs.
2.) Ratchet Bomb destroys me, very very badly.
3.) 24 lands too many?

Possible Solutions:
1.) Eldrazi Monument SB
2.) Play something else

Other Random Notes:
- UW needs Venser in the sb...just because =D
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

affinity was good, these decks are not
jfc
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

gg Rolling Eyes
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see everyone offering constructive advice, but yes, this deck just will not work...yet.
R0B

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this deck. It's especially good for budget (aside from the opals which could be replaced for budget players). It also seems pretty effective. I'm so going to put this together and try it out. I love the celestial colonade in the second deck, but the removal in the first deck is pretty key. Don't know which one I want to try...
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first turn with RW, hopefully you get:

Ornithopter, Memnite, Mox Opal, Arid Mesa, Steel Overseer, Tempered Steel, and Plains. If so, a turn 3 kill isn't impossible.

However, I would just like to once again mention that Ratchet Bomb makes this deck not playable.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if ratchet bomb makes it unplayable, run terrible cards like shatter.

Not many decks in the format are running ratchet bomb, and none of them are running the full compliment. I would think pyroclasm would be just as bad for you, as it'll let the decks that play it get to the late game and murder you.

Quest just seems necessary in these strategies to give you some lift from just vanilla guys turning sideways. Also the blue list doesn't have trinket mage... Why? Too slow? That doesn't seem right.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well if I draw these 7 cards I can get a turn 3 kill" is probably the worst way to analyze a deck. Dragonstorm wasn't good because it could sometimes kill them turn 1, it was good because it could consistently kill them turn 4. These decks are going to have more draws where you act as a goldfish than draws where you blow them out.
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling decks like WUB Esper is fine because Esper defines their color combination... Calling a deck Affinity when it does not use cards with the Affinity ability is fucking moronic.

Also...

gypsy wrote:
affinity was good, these decks are not

^^ This
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeMuppet wrote:
Glad to see everyone offering constructive advice, but yes, this deck just will not work...yet.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you don't overextend and rush out all your creatures, you probably aren't gonna win before your opponent stabilizes. Also note that a Ratchet Bomb on 0 will also take out any Myr tokens you happened to create.
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colby24 wrote:
also the rachet bomb thing is getting dumb so the rachet on zero that still on a regular board will leave us with an smith, an idol or a mass

Aside from Chimeric Mass being 0 and also dying, and the deck being terrible... You have many valid points.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2