Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Molten Squadron Guwr

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Molten Squadron Guwr Reply with quote

// Lands
1 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood
1 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
1 [ROE] Evolving Wilds
2 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
2 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
2 [SOM] Copperline Gorge
2 [UNH] Forest
1 [UNH] Mountain
2 [UNH] Island
2 [UNH] Plains

// Creatures
3 [M11] Fauna Shaman
2 [ROE] Vengevine
4 [SOM] Trinket Mage
4 [SOM] Molten-Tail Masticore
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk
4 [WWK] Cunning Sparkmage
2 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
1 [WWK] Thada Adel, Acquisitor
4 [A] Birds of Paradise

// Spells
2 [M11] Brittle Effigy
1 [WWK] Basilisk Collar
2 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [WWK] Thada Adel, Acquisitor
SB: 2 [M11] Brittle Effigy
SB: 2 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 2 [M11] Condemn
SB: 1 [M11] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 3 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere

I mainly need help with the SB to go against UW, but the MB has been pretty solid so far.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squadron hawk is a good card to pair with fauna shaman for obvious reasons; engines are good. molten tail masticore by itself is not a reason. apart from not wanting to draw 2 of these at once, it's also a bagillion mana before u make a shaman/hawk play worth it.

before you go on this color route i would advise you to look at existing dredge-vine decks with hedron crab and fit 2 masticores into that list.
DeVoursneyNR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conkisstador wrote:
squadron hawk is a good card to pair with fauna shaman for obvious reasons; engines are good. molten tail masticore by itself is not a reason. apart from not wanting to draw 2 of these at once, it's also a bagillion mana before u make a shaman/hawk play worth it.

before you go on this color route i would advise you to look at existing dredge-vine decks with hedron crab and fit 2 masticores into that list.

I respect your post, but I'll kindly disagree. Masticore with Hawk actually isn't that much mana. Here is a relatively normal/good hand/play with my deck:

turn 1: Thicket, Birds(5 cards in hand)
turn 2: Draw(6 in hand), Cobra, Misty and get a Forest and play Hawk and get 3 more(6 cards in hand, 3 are Hawks)
turn 3: Draw(3 Hawks, 4 other), play Tarn(1 in pool), get Mountain(I now have all colors and 2 in pool), tap bird(so I can regen with Masticore if Bird dies) and Mountain to play Masticore(5 cards in hand and a really good field).

On turn 3 on a really good hand, I can have nice board position and still have mana open to regenerate Masticore. I also have consistent discard fodder and cards to rfg to deal 4 with the Masticore.

Other hands can look like this:

turn 1: Gorge, Birds
turn 2: Coast, Mage, get Collar
turn 3: Play collar and Sparkmage(I wouldn't do this against UW to avoid a DoJ), tap mage on their turn to deal damage to them or kill an X/1.
turn 4: Equip Collar to Sparkmage and have another great field advantage.

The manabase also has been really, really stable.

Also, believe it or not, this deck started out as a Dredgevine deck, but morphed into what you see here.
OldBear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why 4 Cunning Sparkmage? I mean its only good in certain match ups. Seems to make more sense to me to run, more fauna shamans and vengevines than 4 sparkmage. Even more so with 1 collar which if destroyed by a ratchet bomb etc, leaves you playing 4 0/1 pingers main deck, which is pretty bad.

The meta does not feel aggro heavy atm where sparkmages would shine enough to be 4 mainbaord.

I also do not undertand the 4 trinket mage, 1 or 2 seems better again with shaman engine. Effigy is quite strong vs alot of the decks in the early meta but is not enough by itself plus 1 basilisk collar, you have other creatures that can fetch anyhow.

Your mana is not the best, if people kill your birds and cobras, the numbers become quite poor. Granted cheap removal is not all that prolific at the moment so Im okay with the mana as it is. For this reason I think if you are going to run the trinket mages, you should also run a misers expiditon map, as it would would help sure things up a little more.

So something along the lines of cutting 2-3 cunning sparkmage, 2 trinket mage. Adding 1 Fauna shaman, 1 Vengevine, 3 Jace TMS I mean your in the right colours why not play the best card in standard?
EatsMortals

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotsky1 wrote:
Why 4 Cunning Sparkmage? I mean its only good in certain match ups. Seems to make more sense to me to run, more fauna shamans and vengevines than 4 sparkmage. Even more so with 1 collar which if destroyed by a ratchet bomb etc, leaves you playing 4 0/1 pingers main deck, which is pretty bad.

The meta does not feel aggro heavy atm where sparkmages would shine enough to be 4 mainbaord.

I also do not undertand the 4 trinket mage, 1 or 2 seems better again with shaman engine. Effigy is quite strong vs alot of the decks in the early meta but is not enough by itself plus 1 basilisk collar, you have other creatures that can fetch anyhow.

Your mana is not the best, if people kill your birds and cobras, the numbers become quite poor. Granted cheap removal is not all that prolific at the moment so Im okay with the mana as it is. For this reason I think if you are going to run the trinket mages, you should also run a misers expiditon map, as it would would help sure things up a little more.

So something along the lines of cutting 2-3 cunning sparkmage, 2 trinket mage. Adding 1 Fauna shaman, 1 Vengevine, 3 Jace TMS I mean your in the right colours why not play the best card in standard?

This. 100%
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
A single copy of an eldrazi legend could be sick for attrition games and a means to get the hawk engine up again.

This is interesting, although if you're removing them with the Masticore... Anyway, I like the theory behind the deck. Keep working with it. Deck looks like a good idea. I will look at it a bit more and see if I can come up with any constructive additions.
Ggerg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baneslayer
TacoMaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Trinket Mage just seems awkward... Should drop one for a Fauna Shaman.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1