Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pyromancer Ascension, Manamorphose, and Regrowth

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Pyromancer Ascension, Manamorphose, and Regrowth Reply with quote

I wanted to get some thoughts on a combo deck with Pyromancer Ascension,
Manamorphose, and Regrowth.

As you see this creates a loop where you can draw your deck and win with just about anything you could think of.

Right now I think this could be a sleeper in the Extended Plus meta.

What would your perfect build be. I was thinking of something like Banefire or Tendrils for the kill. So far there is not a lot of Enchantment hate in the meta so this should not need answers in the main deck. Grave hate is a very be issue. As you will take splash damage from every other graveyard based deck.

I have tested a few builds and have some trouble with the post sideboard games. My current build kills with Banefire.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems broken enough, simple and cheap.

i would say you're a bit vulnerable to spell pierce and the U counter 2cc counterspells from a fish varient, but then again... you're vulnerable to fish in general anyway.

you could probably get away with playing 1 banefire type card and 1 of something with storm and that's it.

Fill it with ponders and maybe a secondary combo enabler (whatever that might be) and I think you have a tier 1 deck in that format.
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct about the Fish match up. UGb and Bant Fish being the worst. Their counters and a fast clock makes for a tough match. I would go as far as saying that UGb Fish has about an 80% chance of wining game 2-3.

Extirpate is brutal vs the deck. But you can still win vs Extirpate, if you side in 1-3 Call to Mind. Most players will make the mistake of Exiling your Regrowths over Manamorphose. This is a mistake as you can still over come that. If you face the this deck, Exile Manamorphose. Then you shuffle up your cards and move on to game 3. To combat this I have start playing Thought Hemorrhage in the sideboard.

I am also thinking about adding Solitary Confinement and City of Solitude in the side. Though City of Solitude is a shoe for a spot. It is a must for them to counter it. As such just trying to cast it will force a counter out of their hand. Duress may also make a showing.
R3wind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct about the Fish match up. UGb and Bant Fish being the worst. Their counters and a fast clock makes for a tough match. I would go as far as saying that UGb Fish has about an 80% chance of wining game 2-3.

Extirpate is brutal vs the deck. But you can still win vs Extirpate, if you side in 1-3 Call to Mind. Most players will make the mistake of Exiling your Regrowths over Manamorphose. This is a mistake as you can still over come that. If you face the this deck, Exile Manamorphose. Then you shuffle up your cards and move on to game 3. To combat this I have start playing Thought Hemorrhage in the sideboard.

I am also thinking about adding Solitary Confinement and City of Solitude in the side. Though City of Solitude is a shoe for a spot. It is a must for them to counter it. As such just trying to cast it will force a counter out of their hand. Duress may also make a showing.
Conkisstador

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your 4card combo is not relevant for legacy. u need ascension in play with 2 counters, regrowth in graveyard, and then manamorphose and regrowth.

graveyard hate is not strong versus ascension as you can win with normal control cards. it's a speed bump but that's all. trygon rpedator, qasali pridemage... are problem cards.
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trygon is not as much of an issue as Pridemage. I have been packing main deck Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. If played correctly you start going off with 3 cards not 4. I have started the combo with only Manamorphose and Regrowth in hand. Pryo was active also. Currently my kill cards include 4 Lightning Bolt, 4 Chain Lightning, 2 Banefire.
Spyx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly everyone and their mother packs krosan grip in the board. Also plenty of decks maindecking pridemage (one of which is zoo, a very common deck).
WildCard
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a list on starcity games:

Suggested by Gerry Thompson on 2010-08-22 as a potential deck for Legacy
As written about in http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/19887_One_Step_Ahead_Ascending_in_Older_Formats.html

Maindeck:

Enchantments
4 Pyromancer Ascension

Instants
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
3 Intuition
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Manamorphose
3 Repeal

Sorceries
1 Grapeshot
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
2 Regrowth

Basic Lands
5 Island
1 Mountain

Lands
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Tropical Island
3 Volcanic Island
1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
2 Dispel
3 Krosan Grip
4 Pyroblast
2 Spell Pierce
4 Submerge
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a rip. That is almost card for card the list that I play. Though you need at least three Regrowth and I do like the Repeal in the list. Why Grapeshot and not Tendrils or Banefire is beyond me. Intuition is very good and I play that as a three of. I cut Brainstorm as it does not play well when copied.

I will try taking out Chain Lightning for a few Repeal. AK copied with even one other AK is almost GG.

Krosan Grip does not mean as much when you have main deck Regrowth.
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the list that I have been playing. I am like it a lot. The Starcity Games list did have repeal and I updated my list to have that in it. I may cut one Regrowth for another Impluse. I feel like it runs better in this deck then Brainstorm. Lim Dul's Vault is also pretty tasty. That would make the mana wonky though.

// Lands
4 [B] Volcanic Island
4 [B] Tropical Island
4 [ROE] Island (3)
2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [ROE] Mountain (1)
1 [ROE] Forest (2)

// Spells
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [M10] Ponder
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [FNM] Accumulated Knowledge
4 [ZEN] Pyromancer Ascension
4 [JGC] Regrowth
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
4 [AL] Force of Will
3 [TE] Intuition
3 [GP] Repeal
2 [CFX] Banefire
2 [VI] Impulse

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 4 [NE] Submerge
SB: 4 [IA] Pyroblast
SB: 4 [SC] Stifle
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1