Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Stupid Idea About Increasing Minis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Another Stupid Idea About Increasing Minis Reply with quote

Once again, I have another dumb idea to throw out here:

How about you start a subscription to M-L? Like a gold membership if you will. It'd be a great way to let non-judges make minis and the revenue you'd generate from this would surely compensate the "trouble" of non-judges running minis.

Possible problems with this: WotC might get pissed at you guys making money.

At any rate, I expect this to get shot down because frankly, the judge mafia will never let us plebians get to run minis (and here is where a random judge comes in and sets us aflame for not passing the judges test). The only reason we ever get is the problem with resolving rules conflicts, but I believe that it may be possible to outweigh that negative with an overwhelming positive, like moar monies.
Djinn
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would pay for being able to TC minis? Sometimes I feel stupid myself for devoting 3 hours making a mini, 6 hours making a trial or 8 hours making a master. This idea is just nonsense. Pay AND devote time so that other people can play in your minis? Sure thing.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I imagine that quite a few people would opt for that. The real question is, would enough people be interested in it to offset that hassle of the necessary coding required.
Pins4Sins

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb idea? Its worse than dumb, Magic-League is FREE. It better stay FREE, or I will personally hunt down the dummies who made it not FREE. By all means KEEP magic FREE for us POOR people, so we can PLAY this EXPENSIVE CARD GAME.

THANK YOU.
Dr_Nico

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the judge test motherfucker.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either misunderstand or can't read properly, I mean just adding the option for non-judges to pay a certain amount and be able to run minis, but apparently the collective bitching about lack of minis has spurred an increase in minis, so this whole conversation could be moot.
xxapathyxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or, you could make a 1 time payment deal for the gold membership. have it to where you pay once, and you can run mini's. This way more mini's would be made, and all money could go toward updating the server on very obvious need-base requirements.
[-a-L-e-]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pins4Sins wrote:
Dumb idea? Its worse than dumb, Magic-League is FREE. It better stay FREE, or I will personally hunt down the dummies who made it not FREE. By all means KEEP magic FREE for us POOR people, so we can PLAY this EXPENSIVE CARD GAME.

THANK YOU.

/thread.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pay. I simply do not know the rules enough to become a judge, and I really don't have the time to study them (or the patience).

If it was reasonably costed, I would pay to run minis.

Lol at everyone on this thread beyond the original poster. Saying an idea is stupid is like saying that you are stupid and want everyone to know it.
Stork

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr_Nico wrote:

Guess waht!!! I made the test and beat it!

But tehy probably won't take me because they hate me. And others too.
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that has always come up when the idea of non-judges TCing minis has come up is that this is valuable when no judges are avliable to run minis .... but if this is the case there may not be a judge to answer any rules questions that may arise

Lastly charging money for a magic related item/service is going to have wizard's panties in a knot and rightly so imo.
sys_down

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Presumably) Many single matches are run mostly without the need of a judge,therefore i was wondering if the possibility might arise for non-judges to make minis that are value 8k or 4k, whatever... just a suggestion...no need to troll Wink
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright:

1) No, we aren't going to allow non-judges to run tournaments. This is something that has been argued to death and the answer will continue to be no.

2) This is a non-profit entity. We will not take money from players for any reason.

3) While we have relaxed our restrictions on who we approve for training, we still expect a certain standard of behaviour from prospective judges. If a person is not approved for training, it's not because we hate them - it's because they haven't shown the maturity.

4) Non-players running pseudo-tournaments through the site is circumventing what we have in place (and something we have reiterated more times than i can remember), and is utterly utterly stupid. It can potentially cause more hassle than it's worth, ESPECIALLY when players think someone is a judge when they aren't. Doing the right thing and making the effort to become a judge is far easier on everyone, and this point is one I cannot reiterate enough.
HomieK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr_Nico wrote:

OMFG, STFU with this take the test crap. If anyone EVER trys to say something about the amount of events retards just spam it. WHY DONT YOU TAKE THE FREAKING TEST IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO SHUT UP ABOUT IT!
I think its a bad idea to get non judges to run events and they have to pay to do it?
I dont think anyone will go for that. Maybe they will just go take the test.
niknight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand a little bit on what Weedmonkey was discussing:

One of the major concerns with allowing non-judges to run minis is security of the site. I have seen more than one occasion where a "lowly" J1 abused their position by messing with their Judge Admin panel. A couple of examples:

One of our judges (Equinox) abused the ability of TC's to report matches directly. Instead of reporting his losses, he used his capability to override his opponent's report and claim the match as a win for himself. This capability is something that we cannot remove from the TC's power, as they would then be unable to do anything about no-shows and nonreporters.

Another one of our judges (Shamon, iirc) got pissed over a ruling that didn't go his way. What he proceeded to do was spam the site with 50+ minis in a span of a couple of minutes. This brought the site to crash for a couple of days, as the ensuing cleanup was a mess. Can you imagine how much more often this would happen if we allowed anybody who paid a membership fee to run minis?

In addition, even if you pass the test I must approve you before becoming a judge. When I do this, there are multiple things I look at:

1. Your penalty history.
2. Your general behavior, especially when dealing with judges.
3. The opinions of certain judges whom I've worked with for a very long time.

I don't disapprove of judges because of a personal hatred. In fact, I've approved of several applicants whom I have personal reservations about.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2