Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifelink

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Lifelink Reply with quote

If a player controls a creature like Paladin of Prahv equiped with Basilisk Collar would both effects stack?

"Paladin of Prahv"
Info: [Edition] = Dissension (DIS), [Color] = White, [Rarity] = Uncommon, [Cost] = 4WW, [Type] = Creature - Human Knight

CARD TEXT: Whenever Paladin of Prahv deals damage, you gain that much life. Forecast — 1W, Reveal Paladin of Prahv from your hand: Whenever target creature deals damage this turn, you gain that much life. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)

"Basilisk Collar"
Info: [Edition] = Worldwake (WWK), [Color] = Artifact, [Rarity] = Rare, [Cost] = 1, [Type] = Artifact - Equipment

CARD TEXT: Equipped creature has deathtouch and lifelink. Equip 2

702.13. Lifelink

702.13b Damage dealt by a source with lifelink causes that source’s controller, or its owner if it has no controller, to gain that much life (in addition to any other results that damage causes). See rule 119.3.

702.13e Multiple instances of lifelink on the same object are redundant.
ib3som3th1ng

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The rules for lifelink were changed during the m10 rules update. Whenever it states that "whenever [cardname] deals damage, you gain that much life" that is a triggered ability that goes on the stack. It is not lifelink. Hence, you can have something that has both that and lifelink on the same creature and you will gain double the life.

I know that I'm not the judge, but I'm 99% sure that that's the right answer ^^
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

702.13e made me never wanna play Armadillo Cloak ever again...
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeMuppet wrote:
702.13e made me never wanna play Armadillo Cloak ever again...

Oracle wrote:
"Armadillo Cloak"
Info: Color = Multi Type = Enchantment - Aura Cost = 1GW Edition = Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs. (DDE)

Errata: Enchant creature. ; Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has trample. ; Whenever enchanted creature deals damage, you gain that much life. [Oracle 2005/08/01]

Note - Also see Aura, Rule G1.29.

Note - Also see Trample, Rule 502.9.

Note - This card was of type "Enchant Creature" until Oracle 2005/08/01.

It does not say Lifelink.
arcannys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the creature had lifelink u wouldt get double life.
collar sais: creature gets lifelink.
the creature already has lifelink. Its an static ability so it doesnt go 2 times on the stack.

IF, instead of a collar, u wud have a sword of light and shadow, would be different since the gain life ability goes on the stack from the equip not from the creature.

would be nice if some judge could corroborate my statement but seems pretty clear to me.

hope i helped~
Arcannys
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple lifelink abilities do not stack, but Paladin of Phrav and Armadillo Cloak do not have Lifelink. As such, their abilities stack.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remember that land enchant from kami block that was white and you could activate it's ability multiple times to make it's lifelink stack? That was nuts back in the day. Genju of Spires or Fields or something like that.
Alandariel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeMuppet wrote:
You remember that land enchant from kami block that was white and you could activate it's ability multiple times to make it's lifelink stack? That was nuts back in the day. Genju of Spires or Fields or something like that.

Yeah, I did a goof draft at my shop the other day. I first picked it remembering that. It doesn't work anymore. Sad
badgerigar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It doesn't work anymore. Sad

Actually it does. They changed it back again. See http://magiccards.info/bok/en/5.html
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost looks as if Wizards doesn't want creatures to gain Lifelink until end of turn...

If the old wording still stacks after damage is dealt, why did they bother creating the keyword Lifelink where the ability doesn't use the stack? Don't fix what is not broken anyone?
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All new cards they create have Lifelink. But all the older cards which had the triggered ability they left as the triggered ability not to functionally change them.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1