Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sealed Generator

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Sealed Generator Reply with quote

As everyone is well aware by now, the sealed generator has been down for some time. This has been an elephant in the room for judges, and it is a feature a number of people have been asking about regarding its return.

The reply I have given when asked about it is that there are multiple solutions being looked into (which has been the truth to the best of my knowledge). As time has passed there have been issues which have left question marks on solutions being looked into.

For me, the continual lack of a definitive time frame on the return of sealed is personally unacceptable to me. Don't get me wrong - I understand perfectly that everything is in a voluntary spirit and the effort is completely a positive contribution by people. However, for me to allow things to continue without putting in a person effort doesn't sit well with me, especially when I have the capability to do something about it.

So, I'm going to create one Smile. I'm going to pre-empt a couple of questions too:

Roo, why are you only saying something about it now? We've been out of a sealed generator for months!

Because for me I've been busy with other projects. For judges, there's been a real need for a renovated mrbotski. As Coverage Director, I've needed to plan and work on how to keep coverage moving (and there's things I'm working on in that department too). For me though, I think what will provide the most benefit to players and the league right now is getting Sealed back and operational.

Roo, why didn't you work on it when everyone else was doing things?

Short answer, because other people were working on things :p.

As some people know, I'm a person who starts multiple things at once and then takes time to work through them all. Because of this, I try to prioritize so I get the most important things done first. Now that there's a question mark over sealed coming back, I've decided to put it as top priority.

The other part to this is that I figured out how to make sealed work programming-wise for me without needing to invest a large amount of time in trying to design how to make cards work etc. While working with mrbotski I've figured out how to convert the database mrbotski uses (with some minor adjustments) to use it for this sealed generator.

So, what should players expect?

Well...it'll take some time. I wanna use this thread for players to spout feature requests and the like and share their experiences with past sealed generators so we can get the best possible generator out for players.

Just an extra note though: This may or may not be a provisional generator only until we can get a better version functioning. That depends on how other people go Smile

As for the other questions...

Roo, when will you start on this?

As soon as I get my laptop working again. Right now I'm waiting for it to come back from repairs, and with a bit of luck it'll be in the next few days.

Roo, how long will it take to complete?

Honestly, it depends on how things pan out regarding both my laptop and my life on the outside. With more or less full-time coding I could put out a ball park figure of a month, but it could take longer depending on how many roadblocks i hit.

Roo, what will you code it in?

MSL (mIRC scripting language). It's what I'm most comfortable with and what will provide to me the best solution in the shortest timeframe.

Yes, this means that mIRC will be required to use it.

Anything else you wanna ask just ask me on here Smile I would prefer questions here instead of IRC so everyone can see the answers.

As for anything else...well, we'll see how I go Smile I'll do my best to get this done ASAP.

Cheers,
Roo
roronoa_zoro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to see that someone is taking care of this subject, because in my case im tired of not beign able to play sealed, way to go Weed! Very Happy
mchosa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just in time for sealed ptq season?
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions, but please do not get mad at me for asking these, but I am really interested in the answer.

Roo, you know I love you as much as a straight dude can love a gay dude and not feel funny in the butt, but is this brought new push to renew sealed at Magic-League in any way associated with an event that occurred Monday of this week? (editted so I don't get banned)

Roo, will you need to use mIRC or will the Java App suffice?

Roo, is the user-interface gonna be friendly? I mean, you're talking about this being IRC-based, I'm just wondering how many of the non-tech people here (the ones who can never seem to get MWS going right) are gonna be lost and confused.

Roo, is there anything I can do to help?

<3 ya you big gay Australian!
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Roo, you know I love you as much as a straight dude can love a gay dude and not feel funny in the butt, but is this brought new push to renew sealed at Magic-League in any way associated with an event that occurred Monday of this week? (editted so I don't get banned)

Nope. This is purely based on my figuring out how to make it work and because a question mark is now floating above sealed. Because people in the past have been working towards a solution I haven't felt the need to really tread the same ground, instead focusing on what else the league needs.

Quote:
Roo, will you need to use mIRC or will the Java App suffice?

You will need mIRC.

Quote:
Roo, is the user-interface gonna be friendly? I mean, you're talking about this being IRC-based, I'm just wondering how many of the non-tech people here (the ones who can never seem to get MWS going right) are gonna be lost and confused.

That is of the highest priority, and is what will take the most time in design. There's no point in creating a new sealed generator if it takes a university degree to understand how to use it. I've got an idea of how I want to structure it, but of course that will change as I get more input.

Quote:

Yup Smile

What I need from everyone is as much input as possible. Feature requests, input on what you think about requests from other people, even doodles in Paint about what you want to see on sealed geneartor screens - the more information I have to work with, the better the quality of the generator for everyone.

Quote:
<3 ya you big gay Australian!

Doesn't everyone? Smile
OilSlick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weedmonkey wrote:
Quote:

Yup Smile

What I need from everyone is as much input as possible. Feature requests, input on what you think about requests from other people, even doodles in Paint about what you want to see on sealed geneartor screens - the more information I have to work with, the better the quality of the generator for everyone.

I painted what I would like to see on my sealed generator screen. I hope this helps

Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Oilslick,

I find your picture just as masterful and thought-provoking as the banner you created for Magic-League.

Love,
Roo
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon needs moar haste.
OilSlick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weedmonkey wrote:
Dear Oilslick,

I find your picture just as masterful and thought-provoking as the banner you created for Magic-League.

Love,
Roo

For you and this league I will always be ready and willing to use my artistic talents.
Az-cz
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

1. Doing it in mIRC is ok short term, but not good long term. There are going to be enough people who sign up for these things without it that it'll be a greater pain to run sealeds than constructed, though not as much as draft currently, which is a huge hassle. Generally the less mandatory software the better.

2. How do you plan on displaying card texts? The most important thing for sealed on computer is an effective way to be able to see both card text and the pool at the same time.

3. Will there be a hide option? I think that's one of the best things to copy from MODO.

4. This isn't as necessary, but having the ability to do some kind of sorting other than in and out of deck would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the effort. As one of the biggest naggers for sealed it's nice to see some work to bring it back.
Az-cz
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

1. Doing it in mIRC is ok short term, but not good long term. There are going to be enough people who sign up for these things without it that it'll be a greater pain to run sealeds than constructed, though not as much as draft currently, which is a huge hassle. Generally the less mandatory software the better.

2. How do you plan on displaying card texts? The most important thing for sealed on computer is an effective way to be able to see both card text and the pool at the same time.

3. Will there be a hide option? I think that's one of the best things to copy from MODO.

4. This isn't as necessary, but having the ability to do some kind of sorting other than in and out of deck would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the effort. As one of the biggest naggers for sealed it's nice to see some work to bring it back.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1