Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a good Rogue Deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Branhamcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Building a good Rogue Deck Reply with quote

I am always looking for a good rogue deck that can compete and win. I figure that in the current format 3 out of 4 decks will either be Jund or Titan Ramp. So Im trying to focus on only those two decks. Every deck I build is either really good against one but struggles against the next so Im at a loss.
Here is a deck Idea I had its completely post rotation and so far it has done well against the Titan decks. Here it is so please be constructive and give me some advice.

Lands
4x Arid Mesa
4x Scalding Tarn
16x Mountain

4x Goblin Ruinblaster
4x Plated Geopede
4x Kargan Dragonlord

4x Fling
4x Mark of mutiny
4x Lightning bolt
4x Burst Lightning
4x Elemental Appeal
4x Rolling Terrain

SB
4x Combust
4x Comet Storm
4x Leyline of Punishment
3x Pyroclasm

The ide against the titan deck is just to wear you out with my creatures and cheap burn. Then use the Mark of Mutiny taking the titan, then I attack with the newly 7/7 titan go get two lands for free and then fling 7 more at you all for a total of 5 mana. This also works well with the sprouting thrinix and BS Angel. For a total of 5 mana I get to attack you with your own creature, get an effect, kill your creature and deal instant damage to you. Not bad...... But still looking for advice and ideas...also if you have a nice rogue deck PM me a list..thx
Alandariel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that Fling by itself is not going to be great for you if you draw it without Mark of Mutiny. Also, making your opponent's creature bigger with Mark of Mutiny without having Fling in hand seems bad as well. Maybe try running 2 different Threatens? Mark of Mutiny and Act of Treason? Carnage Idol might not be terrible here. Also, having your Fling countered after you just made their guy bigger, or having your Threaten countered when you have Fling in hand both seem pretty serious.

It's your deck, play it how you like, but my suggestion is either to add more of what you're trying to do or just don't do it at all. Smile
Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but rogue decks aren't supposed to be worst versions of good decks, if you know what I mean. Mr. Green
Branhamcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Alandariel - I did consider adding the act of treason just for another option...but Im not sure what I would replace. I had a turn 4 win earlier after I dealt 13 dmg on turn 3 with a plated geopede, fling, and lightning bolt then dropped an elemental appeal on turn 4. G2 I donr fling on my 10/8 Kargan......So fling does still have its uses. Thanks for your advice I do appreciate it

*Lynolf- What are you even talking about? What good deck is this a version of? Its not even close to RDW so Im not really sure what your referring to?
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your plan is to steal their titan why the hell arent you playing teetering peaks or smoldering spires
Branhamcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
if your plan is to steal their titan why the hell arent you playing teetering peaks or smoldering spires

Two other cards I have gave thought to.....kinda worried about being slowed down by the "comes into play tapped". I mean they both work very well with the geopede but might slow down my other spells. So IDK
z_Jester_z

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take out the 4x Goblin Ruinblaster (put 2 in sideboard) and put in 4x Kiln Fiend that are easy too pump, swing and then fling Very Happy
also maybe
take out the 4x Rolling Terrain and put in 4x Goblin Guides or 4x staggershock
Branhamcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so far I have played against a UW Control and although I did loose the match in g1 I had him to 1 life when I lost and in game two he was nearly out of cards in his LIB and I could deal lethal only if I topdecked a Rolling terrain but it was a darn geopede. Seing how this was a matchup against a top tier deck I am pleased with the results. Considering im still testing.

Match two was against a Grixis Grave Titan deck and I won both games easily. even after he got out his titan

Please keep in mind I am still testing this deck...it might not appear to be viable but it truly is
CrushU
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess I'm not all that sure about Roiling Terrain as a choice...

Ramp decks usually don't care if you blow up their lands, they just search up more. I suppose if they're in a critical spot for land, it could work, but most land D is too late for that.

I would think I'd like Staggershocks more, or perhaps Chain Reaction if you're worried about Grave Titan specifically. Or, if Roiling is a finisher, there's always the good ol boy, Fireball.
yokai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devastating Red > this
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1