Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picking up the game after a long time

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
beetlegix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Picking up the game after a long time Reply with quote

hey guys, just looking for some info on the current magic situation. Last played during the Ravinca days wondering whats changed ect... just looking to make starting again a little easier
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace wins.
MotC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To name a few, Combat Damange no longer goes on the stack; Core Sets now rotate every year; and instead of $20 dual lands the format now has $80 cards.

Ah... the good old days.
beetlegix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea holy crap... I was looking at card prices and almost shit myself. Any specific reason for the jump in card prices? Its been a weird couple days reading and trying to figure this all out.
DivineHeresy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets SO old listening to people bitch about card prices and rules changes.

Name ONE reason the combat damage rule is bad for the game. The old rule was EASIER. Being able to kill their x/1 AND get a land with Elder was a no brainer. Now we have more choices. More choices in a game about strategy=good.

And the card prices are completely irrelevant. The format is now more open that it has been in a VERY long time, and you stand a good chance of doing well in events even without $80 Jace. That is the pay off for a healthy format.

Don't try to discourage the guy from playing Magic.

If you're serious about it, Nick, not that much has changes. Yes, Jace, the Mind Sculptor is worth a SHIT ton of money, as is Vengevine, Elspeth, etc. but there are a plethora of legitimate decks that cost next to nothing. Ascension Combo, RDW for example.

The game really hasn't changed that much. You still research winning decks, try to break the metagame, and build your decks with the cards now legal in whatever format.

Good luck and have fun.

(And, for the record, Jace is worth $80 because everyone on the planet wants to play with them. Wizards does not control the secondary market. No doubt about how powerful Jace is, but it is far from broken, and you do NOT need it to win at Magic: the Gathering).
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is anyone bitching about the price of cards or the rules change? and jace is broken and the best card in every format thats why the price is so high and was printed in a set that wasnt drafted a lot
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic is kinda meh now. They brought in a bunch of old stuff in the core sets, which will be coming out on a yearly basis now: like lightning bolt and time warp you've now doubt seen. Constructing a deck seems like it could get kinda expensive, I would honestly suggest drafting. Card prices went up because they added another rarity (like Yu-Gi-Oh had, which is why I think a lot of people are pissed, because we didn't really need another tier or rares) called Mythic Rares. The shittiest Mythic goes for 10 bucks, the best go for obscene amounts of money, but Incredibad (while being a douchebag) is still right, you don't need those cards to win: it just helps a lot.

As far as manabase goes right now, you've got the search lands. I read somewhere that Wizards was trying to not make it easy to run more than 2 colors anymore, but hopefully we'll get some real Ravnica quality dual-lands back at some point. I expect there to be a block with artifacts next, then we'll see another theme set, then we'll have a really good set, so now is the time to be getting back into magic!
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started again after taking a break since Ravnica from playing with real cards. I only play Legacy IRL. I spent $500 or so building Enchantress and I draft 3 times a week and trade every chance I get. I'm slowly rebuilding the collection I traded off. I already got a set of Goyfs in a trade and about 1/2 way to having all the fetches. I trade everything I draft up. Always be trading up and you can't lose. I always trade chase T2 cards before they start to lose value for Legacy staples that never go down. Let the Anurid Brushhoppers, Eternal Dragons, and Polymorphs in my binder be a lesson to all. Trade those T2 rares while they are hot unless you are playing them, they only go down in value.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1