Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WBU Esper Midrange

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
kfcman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: WBU Esper Midrange Reply with quote

As with all the other conscription decks I find conscription to be janky and just not that great. With not a whole lot of protection any removal spell just derails the whole idea. However, when I saw the Esper Conscription I saw the capacity for an actually solid deck from the main guts of the ubw cards in the deck.

That deck can be found here: http://magic-league.com/deck/63065/standard_t2.html#Esper Conscription104650

After dumping all the junk conscription cards and filling the space with prototypical ubw cards I tested it out. Did not fare well. The deck wanted to play like a disruption based aggro control deck while wanting Jaces and walls to play control and defense. I eventually came to the conclusion that the Jaces and walls had to go.

Adding in Baneslayer was a no brainer at this point. Along with her highness of standard came O-rings as a typical white catch all answer. After some checking, I came upon Emeria Angel. The deck plays 25 land, so coming up with enough land to put down bird tokens is no problem. This along with baneslayer makes winning stalled out games against aggro decks much easier.

List I am sitting on now looks as such:

// Lands
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
3 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
2 [M11] Drowned Catacomb
3 [M11] Glacial Fortress
3 [ZEN] Swamp (1)
4 [ZEN] Plains (3a)
3 [ZEN] Island (3)
3 [ALA] Arcane Sanctum

// Creatures
4 [ROE] Sea Gate Oracle
4 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
4 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
3 [ZEN] Emeria Angel
4 [PS] Meddling Mage

// Spells
2 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
4 [M11] Mana Leak
3 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
3 [FNM] Duress

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [FNM] Duress
SB: 2 [ROE] Linvala, Keeper of Silence
SB: 2 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
SB: 4 [ZEN] Vampire Hexmage
SB: 2 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 4 [CS] Flashfreeze

Plan: Disrupt early with discard, counters and the two drops. Understanding what cards are most important to each deck make Sculler and Mage huge if you can use them properly. Sea gate oracle has turned out to be so great in every matchup. Early game cantrip into land and block dudes. Late game, dig for baneslayers and Emerias. Sideboard cards all pretty straightforward.

The disruption elements of the deck make most every match winnable. Combine that with the fact that the deck has 4 Baneslayers and I find it to be a very capable and powerful deck.

How does it look?
Your take on the card choices?
Possibilities in pre-rotation T2?
Efrem_84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that for the current meta, the deck has not enough card advantage and is neither aggro enough.
As i see this list i think the most game will come down to play baneslayer, protect it with mage, sculler and disruption and win.

And a uw control based deck can just do that better.

Elspeth, Jace and Esper charm are really powerful cards and i think that not playing them make the deck just suboptimal. Though, playing them will warp the deck strategy to a more control based one.

If you wanna keep it aggro control and play a full set of paths, maybe u should try to find place for knight of the white Orchid and a couple borderpost that can sport some t4 baneslayer. Moreover, they're a great help against all those ramp decks.
BarneyStinso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i am the creator of this deck;), my first idea was to make a deck with creatures that leave your opponent with great sun titan as a "reveillark" but I realized that it was very slow and did not win so fast, then try to play a little faster with sovereigns of ALARA and eldrazi conscription and worked well, but I think it could still be improved =). A friend saw the list and recommendations that provide me with serious titan instead of sovereigns + conscription and I think maybe a little slower but more solid, I will try to play with this =).
On your list i think Jace mind the sculptor is a great card, maybe the best. Emeria angel i think is bad becase you prefer to play Jace mind the sculptor and topdecking deny that a 3 / 3 that makes 1/1s [in fact I have lost in this trial because my opponent topdeking] = (. Baneslayer angel is easy to kill for that i dont like, -4 wall of omens: maybe this change is the only one I liked, because the deck takes a lot of cost 2.
I think the deck can reach a good level, the question is to find an efficient list Very Happy
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace the mind sculptor is an AUTOINCLUDE in your deck...

For 4 mana you can sculpt your next three turns perfectly...whether its finding an answer to a threat or a counter or a meddling mage for the last card in his hand, Jace is an excellent threat.

Emeria Angel is the odd one out...cut it, that card produces you 1 bird token a turn...thats not enough to abuse it. Jace is a much stronger choice. I would go +4 Jace, TMS, -1 Baneslayer, -3 Emeria Angel

BarneyStinso's deck is sickkkk
kfcman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason Jace isn't in this deck is because it is too slow and doesn't affect the board. On turn 4, in this deck, i would much rather have a guy, or multiple guys, or a guy and a disruption spell.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1