Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grixis Control Help

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
ChrRome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Grixis Control Help Reply with quote

Hi, I would like some help tweaking this deck for play at FNM. The meta is mostly, RDW, Jund, UW Control, Naya, Mono W Eldrazi.

Here is the list:

3 Calcite Snapper
3 Jace Beleren
4 Sedraxis Specter
3 Siege-Gang Commander

2 Countersquall
4 Blightning
2 Cruel Ultimatum
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Spreading Seas
2 Staggershock
3 Terminate

3 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Crumbling Necropolis
3 Dragonskull Summit
3 Drowned Catacomb
2 Island
3 Lavaclaw Reaches
2 Mountain
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Swamp

Sideboard:
3 Duress
4 Flashfreeze
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
4 Cunning Sparkmage

I made this deck to use until rotation, then I will invest in a better/more expensive deck.
Also, I am running bad Jace because I don't have any good Jaces currently and don't want to invest that kind of money into this deck.

Thank you.
McCOZE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks solid,I would add mind control to the SB since it can snatch titans and BSA.Anywhere from 2-3 copies would probably be a good number.A timely Mind Shatter is brutal against U/W and I cant imagine it being to bad against mono White Eldrazi either,just some thoughts off the top of my head,GL with your deck.
DTrooper
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs Jace. The 2UU one.
ChrRome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Jace, The Mind Sculptor would be better than Jace Beleren, but this deck is only going to be played for a month or two so I don't want to drop that kind of money on good Jace.
ChrRome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was definitely considering mana leak.
Maybe have:
-2 Countersquall
-2 Staggershock
+4 Mana Leak

This sound good?

Only thing I don't like about mana leak is it will slow the rest of the deck down because I can't safely play a turn 5 Siege-Gang or even turn 3 Jace/Calcite Snapper/Sedraxis Specter while having a good chance of having an answer for their spells. If it were removal instead of mana leak I could simply destroy whatever threat they play.

Also, I was considering Into the Roil as a possible addition.
Maybe like:
-2 Staggershock
-2 Countersquall
+1 Terminate
+3 Into the Roil

Post opinions/suggestions please
Sigil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrRome wrote:
I was definitely considering mana leak.
Maybe have:
-2 Countersquall
-2 Staggershock
+4 Mana Leak

This sound good?

Only thing I don't like about mana leak is it will slow the rest of the deck down because I can't safely play a turn 5 Siege-Gang or even turn 3 Jace/Calcite Snapper/Sedraxis Specter while having a good chance of having an answer for their spells. If it were removal instead of mana leak I could simply destroy whatever threat they play.

Also, I was considering Into the Roil as a possible addition.
Maybe like:
-2 Staggershock
-2 Countersquall
+1 Terminate
+3 Into the Roil

Post opinions/suggestions please

No you could NOT simply destroy etc. Mono W eldrazi rocks teh Ulamogzorz, of which Ultimatum is your only answer. I would add another calcite snapper if your struggling with RDW, which control tends to (Nice hellspark elemental!).

Grave titan is an absolute beating. Just sayin'.

Also, Jace2 is pretty cute.
JA0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i been messing with gridixis lately and you really need 1-2 grave titans in there, and i think jace 1.0 is fine thats what im running in mine, im not forking 80$ a pop on one...

my list is similiar to yours, if you want i can post it, but just take out what is extra depending on your meta add a grave titan or two, cant be that hard to get your hands on 1 or 2, plus your making an investment cause in october im predicting any deck running black will be running grave titan...
ChrRome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigil wrote:

No you could NOT simply destroy etc. Mono W eldrazi rocks teh Ulamogzorz, of which Ultimatum is your only answer. I would add another calcite snapper if your struggling with RDW, which control tends to (Nice hellspark elemental!).

Grave titan is an absolute beating. Just sayin'.

Also, Jace2 is pretty cute.

I figured with cards like Blightning, Spreading Seas, Man Lands, Snapper, and Ruinblaster on side, it would not be too difficult to beat Mono W Eldrazi before they got an Eldrazi online. I could very well be wrong however. I will do some testing to determine if that is true or not.

I was definitely considering another Calcite Snapper as it would definitely help vs RDW, and even Jund (BBE, Thrinax), and can help beat in against UW Control.

It seems like Grave Titan would just do the same job as Siege-Gang, but Siege-Gang comes down a turn earlier and is better vs All is Dust and Day of Judgement as he can provide up to 8 damage to creatures/his face.

Jace 2 is pretty expensive, but definitely would be helpful.
ChrRome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA0 wrote:
yea i been messing with gridixis lately and you really need 1-2 grave titans in there, and i think jace 1.0 is fine thats what im running in mine, im not forking 80$ a pop on one...

my list is similiar to yours, if you want i can post it, but just take out what is extra depending on your meta add a grave titan or two, cant be that hard to get your hands on 1 or 2, plus your making an investment cause in october im predicting any deck running black will be running grave titan...

I'll definitely try some Grave Titans over Siege-Gang.
Maybe this:
-3 Siege-Gang
+1 Calcite Snapper
+2 Grave Titan
I just don't really see what he brings and Siege-Gang doesn't.

Sidenote: What do people think about another Ultimatum in sideboard vs Control?
six
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd play another ultimatum.

also, this argument against jace is silly. you need 4 of them at some point, just take it on the chin now and save yourself the pain later. it's not like in 3 months jace will be worthless. hell, even if you stop playing standard altogether, he's still good in legacy and extended.
Pins4Sins

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run 3 Cruel Ultimatum, you just need more power.

Manabase: -1 Lavaclaw Reaches +1 Scalding Tarn

Maindeck: You NEED Earthquake -- mass removal is a must have against Aggro decks you are playing Control think about that.

Sideboard: Deathmark, Duress, Flashfreeze, Consuming Vapors, Consume the Meek, Negate, Thought Hemorage (combo) perhaps even an additional Earthquake.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthquake is a pretty powerful spell

I've seen some people play Sorin Markov.

I'm personally a fan of Nicol Bolas, but I can see why people wouldn't want to play it. It's superior to mind control!

I like this kind of deck because you just poke at them until you actually kill them. The Earthquakes help with that, and so would Sorin Markov.

If mana is a problem, I could see Prophetic Prism being of use.

I would say getting up to 4 creeping tar pit would be good also. It's such a broken manland.

I think in your board you'd rather have 4 duress than sparkmages, but I guess I could be wrong.
JA0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
3 [M10] Drowned Catacomb
1 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
3 [DDC] Swamp (3)
2 [MR] Mountain (1)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
2 [ST] Island (3)
3 [M11] Dragonskull Summit
4 [ALA] Crumbling Necropolis
3 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit

// Creatures
2 [M11] Grave Titan
4 [ALA] Sedraxis Specter
2 [WWK] Calcite Snapper
2 [M10] Siege-Gang Commander

// Spells
2 [ALA] Cruel Ultimatum
2 [P2] Earthquake
3 [LRW] Jace Beleren
4 [BRB] Mana Leak
3 [MPR] Terminate
4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
3 [U] Lightning Bolt
4 [MPR] Blightning

well this is my list, like i said i dont use jace 2.0 either, i jus refuse to spend the money...

anyways i wouldnt take siege gang completely out, but grave titan is good, cause once you get him out if you have the board control'd its pretty much a scoop for the opponent, i use mana leak cause in the beginning i play defense with the cheap removal and mana leak to counter any earlier threats. plus like the other guy said i like sorin in this deck but atm i dont really have room for him...

anyways like i said similiar to yours jus a few tweaks here and there, if you really like siege-gang stick with him but grave titan has won me several games in testing and FNM
ChrRome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a few changes and here are the results so far.
I removed 2 Staggershocks and replaced with Earthquakes.
I also removed the main Countersqualls and added a Terminate and a Calcite Snapper.
In sideboard I took out the Cunning Sparkmages and added 3 Countersqualls and 1 more Duress.

// Lands
4 [ALA] Crumbling Necropolis
3 [UNH] Swamp
4 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit
2 [UNH] Mountain
2 [UNH] Island
2 [M10] Drowned Catacomb
3 [M10] Dragonskull Summit
2 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Sedraxis Specter
3 [M10] Siege-Gang Commander
4 [WWK] Calcite Snapper

// Spells
4 [ALA] Blightning
2 [ALA] Cruel Ultimatum
4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
4 [ARB] Terminate
3 [M10] Jace Beleren
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
2 [M10] Earthquake

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [M10] Flashfreeze
SB: 4 [M10] Duress
SB: 4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 3 [CFX] Countersquall
Pins4Sins

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You took out Mana Leak?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2