Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rock / Valakut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Sigil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sideboard for valakut needs obstinate baloth.
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play jund
Lynolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Worst... Rock.dec... ever. Reply with quote

That's gotta be the worst possible deck where you can put 4 Bloodbraid Elf. I mean, dude, seriously, you have seven X-spells. Seven! Laughing
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valakut deck needs more mountains,
wisdomhappy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The no scapeshift is a typo, right?
bagina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbe into earthquake or comet storm

gg!!!!11
bagina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbe
oracle
siege-gang
primeval titan

rampant
explore
cultivate
harrow

valakut
terramorphic
forest
mountain

would be a major improvement, imo.
bagina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m10 and m11 are both T2 legal until october, i believe.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarmorack wrote:
Siege-gang and Rampant arent in m11

But ty for the Oracle, can be better then BBE

its amazing how many people still dont know m10 is STILL legal until october, i hope to see these people at nats
p_dadi24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also currently trying out valakut, I think that Oracle is just too vulnerable, unlike with Turboland u can chain into timewarp with the right play. With this build ur forced to play him early, and most of the time he just eats removal.

I would main deck obstinate baloth as it is good with any match up, and will up your chances with RDW. Also Avenger is good but I'd rather stick with siege gangs as he can let you win sooner and the gob tokens dodge pulses if you have open mana. I like gaea's revenge though =)

And lastly I think 4 comet storm is just too much, it will win you games, but most of the time it will sit in ur opening hand until you can sink in mana for a decent amount. Maybe two would be good. Even add dragon's claw sb if you really want to dominate red, or fog maybe.

P.S.

You play too many forest =p
Hirotsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
6 [ZEN] Swamp (3a)
10 [ZEN] Forest (3a)
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs

// Creatures
4 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
1 [M11] Primeval Titan
4 [ARB] Putrid Leech
1 [WWK] Avenger of Zendikar
4 [ZEN] Bloodghast
2 [M11] Grave Titan
4 [ROE] Vengevine
4 [M11] Fauna Shaman
4 [M11] Birds of Paradise

// Spells
4 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse

The sideboard is a little absent at the moment as I'm still tuning the maindeck, but I'm guessing that it's gonna contain some combination of Inquisition of Kozilek/Durress, Doomblade/Consuming Vapors, Garruk Wildspeaker, Deathmark/Plummet, Leyline of the Void, or Pelakka Wurm/Momentous Fall.

From what I've been able to scrap together and call testing so far, it feels like it should be called Fauna Rock. It always makes you feel good to pitch a Bloodghast or a Vengevine to go grab an Obstinate Baloth/Avenger and go nuts from there.

My main reasoning for not playing as much removal as I actually feel I should be playing is because of the shaman herself. Half the time, I want my hand to have a creature or two so I can go grab another one that I would need at that particular time. But I had to make sure I had some form of removal, so Maelstrom Pulse stuck out in mind since it deals with O-rings, PWs, and creatures, all in 1 nice little package.

As for my other card choices, let's see....

Putrid Leech: At first this guy seemed a little clunky, but being able to put a little pressure on your opponent in the early game started to help out more, especially once he became a "Pay 2 Life: Destroy target Wall of Omens".

Primeval Titan: Well, I grabbed him because he's a 6/6 with trample for 6 that can go grab Tectonic Edges at will. Still working out the kinks with him, but sadly, he feels kinda clunky. He's probably gonna get the axe since he doesn't play as well as his black brother.

Lotus Cobra: This guy...well, he definitely shouldn't need explanation, but the ramp he helps put out gives some serious speed to the deck. Being able to play a titan on turn 3 seemed pretty good at the time (or pretty much everything besides the Avenger on turn 3)

Avenger of Zendikar: Once I started to see how popular this guy got, I wanted to test him out as a 1-of. I'm sure you all know, that this guy easily wins games by himself...well, unless an earthquake the turn after you play him happens, or a DoJ, or a pulse..but regardless, he's still amazing....even when he's only going off for 4, lol.

Vengevine: Being fairly resilient to removal and counter-magic, as well as providing fodder for my shaman all gave me reason to play this hasty guy. Besides...being able to smash in on a Jace or Elspeth the turn he comes in seems good too.

Fauna Shaman: Tutors up every threat in the deck. I like it. Turns those late game, dead BoP draws into better creatures, even though they end up costing an extra green mana, it's well worth it.

Birds of Paradise: Mana dork: check.

Obstinate Baloth: 4/4 for 4 that gains 4 life when it CiP. Seems amazing to me. Being able to mess up a blightning: also seems amazing. This guy was an auto-add in for me. Not to mention...he offsets the Putrid Leech's life loss just a little bit .

Bloodghast: More food for the shaman, and has the same pros (besides the hastiness until the requirement is met) as the vengevine...albeit with a smaller body/mana cost/no ability to block. Regardless, he's still a good threat for the cost and resilience.

Grave Titan: 10 power over 3 bodies for 6 mana seemed good. Being able to add another 4 power over 2 bodies just because I turn him sideways during combat seems too good. Seeing as how the deck is easily able to support him being played, I had to throw him in. Needless to say, I haven't lost a game yet where I played him and attacked with him once.

As far as the maindeck goes, I still want to test things like Momentous Fall, Pelakka Wurm (I don't know why, but I wanna play this fatty cheater wurm so bad, lol).

Garruk HAS to find a way to get in the main deck...I just haven't found room for him yet. Bloodghasts feel like they're gonna get the axe for him, but I'd hate to get rid of potential food for the shaman. Nothing more testing won't solve.

That's all I got for now.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the Birds of Paradise criticism. Lotus Cobra is also not optimal in this deck, because of the lack of fetchlands. Should be 10 or even more of those in there to take full advantage of Cobra.

Look at the curve:

1cc: 4
2cc: 16
3cc: 4
4cc: 8
6cc: 3
8cc (?): 1

12 4cc cards would be too much, so if you are to add Garruk, Baloth or Vengevine have to go (in some number).

There are also no instants in your deck, and that is a weakness.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2