Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extended Tournament Rules Change!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
mchosa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Extended Tournament Rules Change!!! Reply with quote

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/95b

Announcement Date: June 18, 2010
Effective Date: July 1, 2010
Magic Online Effective Date: July 14, 2010 (after the scheduled downtime)

Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules Change: Extended
On July 1, 2010, the following sets will leave the Extended format: Ninth Edition, Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn, Champions of Kamigawa, Betrayers of Kamigawa, Saviors of Kamigawa, Ravnica: City of Guilds, Guildpact, Dissension, and Coldsnap. From that point forward, the Extended format will include approximately four years of Magic sets instead of seven.

At that time, the following sets will be legal in the Extended format: Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Tenth Edition, Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, Eventide, Shards of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn, Magic 2010, Zendikar, Worldwake, and Rise of the Eldrazi.

With the upcoming release of Scars of Mirrodin, the following sets will leave the Extended format: Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, and Tenth Edition. One year's worth of releases will leave Extended with every subsequent fall Magic set.

Extended
Sword of the Meek is banned.
Hypergenesis is banned.

Note: The four cards previously on the banned list (Æther Vial, Disciple of the Vault, Sensei's Divining Top, and Skullclamp) are in sets that are no longer in the Extended format.

Legacy
Mystical Tutor is banned.
Grim Monolith is no longer banned.
Illusionary Mask is no longer banned.

Zendikar Block Constructed, Standard, Vintage
No changes

Changes to Magic Online–only formats are now announced monthly in the Magic Online Community Group blog.

For an explanation of this announcement, read The Week That Was column today and the Latest Developments column next Friday, June 26. For the complete list of all banned and restricted cards by format, click here.
stone_d
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh,sure I guess. Can it now be called T1.9?
stone_d
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphakiller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I actually like this change. extended won't be so combo-breakable anymore... leave that for legacy.
sirkozi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legacy also looses best combo decks.

RIP ext Crying or Very sad
gregs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Whaaat? Reply with quote

Man, I just don't get these Wizards guys!
What in the world were they thinking by doing this?

Extended was, practicaly, the only thing that kept me playing this game... I mean, why would they do this? The format was awsome and they are just going to kill it by knoking out staples like Bob, Jitte, SHOCKLANDS, Dark Depths and ban Sword of the Meek?

Man, this is a sad day for MtG, unless they finally confirm that OverExtended Format... boy, that would be great news to minimize the fact that they've cut almost half of the Ext card pool...

Anyway, sad cheers to all
Magno-
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended was an almost dead format anyways. It was quite obvious that it would get replaced by something.

And that they banned Hypergenesis + Sword of the Meek ain't that weird, because those cards are going to leave extended with the release of Scards anyways. This way people will atleast test other decks then what probably would be the 2 biggest decks in the format otherwise (Fae with Sword of the Meek and Hypergenesis Combo).

And people complaining that it will be Jund and Fae all around weren't around in Lorwyn + Shards standard. BW Tokens, Kithkin (Variants), 5 Color Cruel Control, Merfolk, Elves Combo, Blightning Aggro, GW Tokens, Dark Bant. All decks that are able to beat Faeries. Jund wasn't even a big deck back then....

I think I like this format, not sure if I'm going to invest in it (Maybe... Maybe not), but killing a lot of staples in a format that was way to expensive to step in is a good thing if you'd ask me. Maybe this will save the format.

imho... Wizards is doing a good thing, Extended was dead and this might save the format or alteast gives people a new format to toy with.
Ansore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: eheh Reply with quote

stone_d wrote:

of course not, it will be called T1.95 or T1.9999999999 Mr. Green
Tao

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea. Changes the boring ass meta up. I actually liked Time Spiral - Lorwyn Standard. Let's just hope it doesn't become another format focused on beating a blue deck.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how extended was dead. It's also funny that suddenly ravnica duals, tarmogoyf, dark depths and many other extended staples will be useless outside of extended (and some of them completly useless). They could at least announced this before the extended season so people could havet he choice of holding the cards to play that season or selling/trading them while they're still worth something.

No, this won't kill magic but it is a bad change and more than that an unnecessary change. Magic has enough players and is popular enough that they can toy with their players as they want without hurting themselves and actually gainning money but in any other TCG they couldn't do all the crap they have been doing or else they would risk the game falling apart. Magic is still awsome but little by little they are making it less awsome.

The reason they changed is very simple: extended doesn't help selling new sets much. T2 is what makes the new sets sell. If cards hold significant value for less time (now it's 4 years at most) people have to buy them more and more often. Some people were avoiding t2 or just playing a tier2 deck or some leftovers from their friends and still keep being competitive in extended. Now those days are over: if you wanna play competitive decks in every relevant constructed format for the next 4 years, prepare to spend hard on those jaces and any other powerful mythics they're gonna print soon.

To me it's all clear now: all these recent changes have been thought for a long time but have been implemented one at a time. First the mythic rares. In shards of alara, besides the planeswalkers there aren't any tournament staple. Tezzeret requires a specific deck, sarkhan is bad, ajani is good but it's the pre release card and the only one that caused trouble and it took a while was Elspeth. Conflux and Alara Reborn have no really good mythics either.

After this came M10 with its rules changes as a way to take the discussion away from mythics. They test the cards. And I'm pretty sure they knew Baneslayer would changed T2 but it wouldn't be broken, after all it's only a 5 mana creature that dies to most removal spells. So they managed to print a card that would have a huge impact in T2 but that wasn't broken so it would never be banned and wouldn't have much impact outside T2. And obv it had to be mythic. After this Zendikar brought a few non-busted planeswalkers and some decent mythics like monument and iona but most feel mythic and nothing really insane with one exception: lotus cobra, which should have been a rare. Mindbreak should be a rare too but it hasn't caused any problems.

With Worldwake the insanity began: a busted planeswalker changed every rule about standard cards prices. It was also put in the set that would be least drafted in the block. And they did this is a very clever way: usually the least drafted expansion is the 3rd one but they made us draft ZZW and RRR so that one RoE was out there would be very few WWK packs openned.

Rise of Eldrazi has everything powerful on mythic. Gideon, Vengevines, Sarkhan, Kargan and even the good eldrazi. There are a few rares that can play a role in certain decks like Consuming Vapors and Devastating Summons but that's it. Vengevine doesn't feel mythic at all. There have been several cards that return from the graveyard, most are rare but they can be seen in common and uncommon too. Simply switching rarity with Drana would make Drana appear a few less times in draft and make Vengevine lower its price.

And finally this announcement which makes people need the newest mythics much more for a bit longer and after a while they become useless.
BandaBear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the fuck is tarmogoyf useless in extended now?
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it rotates in less than a few months...Tarmogoyf is effectively useless.

Also without the duals and powerful mana fixers of the past, splashing for it is also not the easiest thing...
Kaesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
As it rotates in less than a few months...Tarmogoyf is effectively useless.

yeah, just a pro tour left to play with it...
mchosa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following card sets are permitted in Extended tournaments:

* Time Spiral (until October 1, 2010)
* Planar Chaos (until October 1, 2010)
* Future Sight (until October 1, 2010)
* Tenth Edition (until October 1, 2010)
* Lorwyn
* Morningtide
* Shadowmoor
* Eventide
* Shards of Alara
* Conflux
* Alara Reborn
* Magic 2010
* Zendikar
* Worldwake
* Rise of the Eldrazi
* Magic 2011 (effective July 16, 2010)
* Scars of Mirrodin (effective October 1, 2010)
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that this new extended makes it more worthwhile to play T2. I really like it.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2