Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why no Regress?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Why no Regress? Reply with quote

After seeing some lists of UW Control, i was surprised with the lack of Regress in all lists.

For me, Regress is, by far, the 3rd best blue card in Standard metagame. I play 4 in my UW Control list and they are so solid with Spreading Seas and Jace, MS. Imagine this:

Jund keeps a 3-lander.

Turn 1: Colllonade
Jund's Turn 1: Savage Lands/Raging Ravine
Turn 2: Spreading Seas
Jund's Turn 2: Land
Turn 3: Regress

Suddenly, they can't win. Play Jace on turn 4 and win. That's simple.

But Regress doesn't only shine against Jund:

Mythic: Bounce the Cobra, Finest Hour and Rafiq.

Mythic Conscription: Love that fattie with your Conscription! Bounce it!!

American Walkers: Bounce them just before they go ultimate.

UW Control: Bounce Jace, Gideon, their lands (if they're screwed)

Naya: Bouncing their lands might screw them; Bouncing Noble will screw them.

It also works amazingly with Spreading Seas and some cards like Narcolepsy.

Please discuss.
Obnoxide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because O-Ring is a better 3 drop? I'm wondering what you play regress in place of.. maybe post a list that explains where regress would go, or how it fit in the deck.
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is, Regress is an instant, which helps in many combat tricks. O-Ring does not.

In my opinion, Regress would fit in any UW Control deck, just because of the flexibility of the cards in so many different matchups.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do u need combat tricks in a deck with no creatures
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you're right. lets not play any creatures in UW Control. I always thought Wall of Omens was crap.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
why do u need combat tricks in a deck with no creatures

How can a control deck with no creatures win anything? (I know there are exceptions, it's a rhetoric question) Cool

But yes, Gypsy has a point there: control decks rarely have situations where combat tricks matter, because their creatures almost never fight other creatures, and even when they do, using combat tricks is reduntant. I agree with Obnoxide, Oblivion Ring is much better than Regress, because the removed permanent has less chances of getting back, so it's more efficient. Mr. Green
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sooner play into the roil than regress.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt mean literally no creatures you just have so few that regress is useless, this isnt a tempo deck why would u need to regress their land on turn 2
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy, you have a point, but the truth is with this metagame with Mythic Conscription, Jund and UWr Walkers, Regress does a lot, either returning lands, creatures or enchantments.

Also, Into the roil is pretty good, but it can't return lands, which is very important against certain deck (Jund, Naya, etc...)

Just my 2 cents
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamahl95 wrote:
gypsy, you have a point, but the truth is with this metagame with Mythic Conscription, Jund and UWr Walkers, Regress does a lot, either returning lands, creatures or enchantments.

Also, Into the roil is pretty good, but it can't return lands, which is very important against certain deck (Jund, Naya, etc...)

Just my 2 cents

than why dont u just play the ld deck?
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played 4 Resounding Wave's in Esper and it was really good. Cycling is just great against UW.
OilSlick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regress isn't a permanent answer. You can put my creature/land/planeswalker etc.. back into my hand and I guess you succeeded in stalling me, but it is just going to come back and your going to have to deal with it again. With the power of creatures and planeswalkers in current T2 stalling me one turn is not going to get you very far.
Avata

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread I've been testing resounding wave in UWB Brilliant Control, I actually kind of like it. You get draws where you can set up significant mana denial in the early game with spreading seas + resounding wave. It also allows a lot of other little corner cases, like bouncing a celestial colonnade when it's attacking, making them pick something up then discard it to esper charm or lilianna, or pick up a huge plated gigapede.

Dunno if it'll stay since the decklist is already pretty tight, but for a deck that is mostly late game plays, wave seems good at helping you get to the 5-7 mana you need.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2