Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which deck to play at GP Manila this sat. pls. advise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
p_dadi24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Which deck to play at GP Manila this sat. pls. advise Reply with quote

HI,

I have a choice between RDW (low curve with bushwacker summons combo) and time sieve combo (without filgree angel). I've had some experience with RDW and i had a decent record with it, I've never played TSC (time sieve combo) in a tourney before but I do understand the concept and how to win with it. These are the two decks that are available to me, I'm really concerned with Kor firewalker and I'm thinking bout splashing blacks for some doom blades/ deathmarks, although I'm not 100% I can borrow the BR lands required.

So there's a high probability that my choices are only RDW and TSC. The GP is in a few days and I expect it to be 8-9 rounds long, and I've got no byes whatsoever. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without experience with the Time Sieve combo, you shouldn't play it. RbDW is better than RDW, so if you can get the lands for it play that for sure.
p_dadi24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, my concern about RDW with black is the reduced speed and can i still consistently cast bushwacker summons combo at a reasonable time?
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdw is better without black
p_dadi24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSNACKSx wrote:
p_dadi24 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, my concern about RDW with black is the reduced speed and can i still consistently cast bushwacker summons combo at a reasonable time?

Black should not affect you all that much, it will depend on what lands you're able to run and how black you want to go. If you decide to play blightning I think that will hurt your speed over just deathmark/Dblade.

I'm thinking of running the 8 BR lands d. summit and lavaclaw, plus 6-8 fetches and 2 swamps. With that configuration I don't think I can run smoldering or teetering peaks. I definitely wanna play blightning MD but with the new bant deck and vengevine decks running around it's making me think twice Very Happy

Thanks for all your replies
Rikets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: fkssjkdgb Reply with quote

dont run 2 swamps.. if you can run all 8 red fetch lands and witht eh new bant blightningt isnt so good so id suggest it sb and also id suggest thought hem sb if you dont already have it there it works great against most decks.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just play mono red, people are being greedy and cutting firewalkers, and baneslayer is seeing less play so u dont need black removal, and vengevine is the new hot card so blightning is bad, and peaks and spires are amazing
Magno-
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
just play mono red, people are being greedy and cutting firewalkers, and baneslayer is seeing less play so u dont need black removal, and vengevine is the new hot card so blightning is bad, and peaks and spires are amazing

I will simply quote this and won't add anything else.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:

Yes with all the Wall of Omens and other blocking strategies seeing play, I can easily see that Spires are good. Of course, Firewalkers and Baneslayers were popular because RDW was mono red. They see less play because RDW splash black so they aren't that good anymore. Blightning saw a lot of play in different decks, so Vengevine makes an appearance - so I can easily see that going back to mono red can be a good strategic choice right now.
spudfuss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play mono red with either blazing torch or unstable footing to deal with firewalker. magma rift can deal with BSA and flame slash deals with rhox war monk. not saying to run all of these side but they are options.
p_dadi24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm currently testing and splashed white just for path and I'm quite pleased with the results.

// Lands
3 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
2 [ZEN] Plains (4)
4 [WWK] Smoldering Spires
7 [ZEN] Mountain (1)
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
4 [ZEN] Plated Geopede
4 [ROE] Kiln Fiend
4 [ZEN] Goblin Bushwhacker

// Spells
3 [CFX] Path to Exile
2 [ROE] Staggershock
3 [WWK] Searing Blaze
4 [ROE] Devastating Summons
2 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
2 [ROE] Forked Bolt
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [CFX] Path to Exile
SB: 2 [M10] Manabarbs
SB: 3 [M10] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 4 [WWK] Cunning Sparkmage
SB: 2 [WWK] Basilisk Collar

Thanks for all your replies, pls. let me hear more of your thoughts
TomLocke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White splash is horrible.

Just go for the black if you want to do something 'crazy'
Or you can look at the WR deck from the MN PTQ recently. It beats kor firewalker with kor firewalker or emerge unscathed.
You'd probably like it.
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Yes with all the Wall of Omens and other blocking strategies seeing play, I can easily see that Spires are good. Of course, Firewalkers and Baneslayers were popular because RDW was mono red. They see less play because RDW splash black so they aren't that good anymore. Blightning saw a lot of play in different decks, so Vengevine makes an appearance - so I can easily see that going back to mono red can be a good strategic choice right now.

baneslayer being popular has nothing to do with mono red, mono red isnt in the top decks right now so people dont prepare for it
p_dadi24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomLocke wrote:
White splash is horrible.

Just go for the black if you want to do something 'crazy'
Or you can look at the WR deck from the MN PTQ recently. It beats kor firewalker with kor firewalker or emerge unscathed.
You'd probably like it.

Really? Can you pls. elaborate, one thing i noticed about going black is that I'm going to play 8 tapped lands as a result with 4 smoldering and 4 lavaclaw. So it does affect the deck's speed to some extent, with splashing white I even add more fetch lands naturally without compromising the deck's speed. I just wanted something to naturally remove Baneslayer/Kor Firewalker in one shot, and while black can do that easily going white for path even removes Vengevines.

Furthermore black gives me access to blightnings but as I've said before it can backfire terribly with vengevines running amock. Thought hemmorage also looks attractive but it doesn't really guarantee a win.

Do you have a link for WR deck you are referring to?

I appreciate all your feedback, thank you very much.
mchosa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomLocke- where are MN PTQ top8 lists??? i played in it and was curious to see where that boros deck finished. havent been able to find it online
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2