Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Match Notation

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Match Notation Reply with quote

Recording matches for tournament reports is something that many players do, whether it's for PTQ, GP or just regular playtesting. How players record their matches can vary, from shorthand to word by word recounts of the match.

For chess, algebraic chess notation is the standard. It's easy to read and easy to record. So, there's a few questions I've had lurking for a while:

- Do players have a way of recording matches in notation form?
- Is there a way to quickly and easily notate MTG games?
- What would an effective MTG notation form contain?
OilSlick

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B Shocked Shocked B's
Mod_Counter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Im a chess player on my own, I asked myself the same question after I read the first couple of magic tournament reports.

To answer your questions:
- Do players have a way of recording matches in notation form?
Not yet, but it may be possible to invent a notation system
- Is there a way to quickly and easily notate MTG games?
No, since there are too many different and complicated situations.
- What would an effective MTG notation form contain?
A lot of space. Since Magic has no limitations one turn could fill up only one line and another turn could fill up half of the form -> no preconstructed forms, just a piece of paper.

And now what I want to add to the topic:

Chess is easy, you got a form that has one text box for each turn and the terminology is easy as well, since there is a very limited amount of situations you have to deal with.

A most complicated turn in chess i can think of right now would look like this:

Qd1 x Qd8 +

wich means:
your Queen from the field d1 moves to field d8 and attacks the opponent Queen on that field. And the opponent king is in check.

There you got all the shortcuts you need in chess
x = attacks, and + = in check
and since its only one move in every turn, there is not that much to write.

Now im thinking about a complicated situation in Magic and how to shortcut it.

Problems that come in mind:
In magic, there are no limitations:
You can cast multiple spells each turn
You can attack and block with multiple creatures
Cards have different modes and decisions you have to make, like the Ravnica Shocklands, Charms or Commands
Life points can change very often during a turn
Sometimes the mana pool doesnt empty and you have to keep track of that
Counters on permanents can make games complicated

And imagine cards like Ad Nauseam, how would you keep track of that? The players would be busy writing all the cards down and that can take a lot of time, which is not good in tournament play, since you only have 50 minutes a game anyway.

BUT:
I still think its possible, the question is, does it make sense?
for very easy games between 2 beatdown decks im very positive that it will be very clear and easy to understand, but games that last long it would be very hard to track and write down.

If you really want to make a notation system for magic, you can count me in, since im very interested how it will turn out.
But it will be a lot of work and im sure that it will never replace the ordinary tournament report.

PS: Note that im from Germany and that im not sure how the specific terms for chess are in English Wink
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not intended to replace a regular tournament report - it's simply to record matches without too much difficulty Smile It's for a personal project I'm undertaking.

As for my assumptions about the notation system:

- There's limits as to what can and can't be reasonably recorded. What cards were milled from dredge for example isn't feasible. The number of cards dredged though, is.
- Grouping actions in brackets (such as tapping lands) will be essential
- There needs to be a way to be able to easily write card names that doesn't take a massive amount of study (i.e. OD001 for Ancestral Tribute is a no-no)
- Symbols are going to be fun!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1