Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UW Modular

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
xanderjanz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: UW Modular Reply with quote

Been fooling around with UW but each version I created seemed to have very targeted matchups. Great against one archetype, bad against another. The obvious solution then was to merge both decks. So with some finagling I came up with this:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
5 [B] Island (2)
5 [SHM] Plains (4)
4 [WWK] Halimar Depths
4 [M10] Glacial Fortress

// Creatures
2 [WWK] Calcite Snapper
3 [ZEN] Sphinx of Jwar Isle
4 [ARB] Wall of Denial

// Spells
2 [ROE] Oust
4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
4 [ROE] See Beyond
2 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 [ALA] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 [MOR] Mind Spring
3 [ROE] Deprive
4 [ZEN] Day of Judgment

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [WWK] Khalni Garden
SB: 4 [MI] Polymorph
SB: 4 [M10] Silence
SB: 2 [WWK] Wind Zendikon
SB: 1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

If you can't tell, basically the idea is to run your standard UW control cards: elspeth, DoJ, Jace etc. then have two sets of 15 card win conditions, each extremely different. Polymorph is very fast, but unstable. Shroud creatures is slow but very control. The 15 card sets are:

Polymorph:
4 silence
4 polymorph
2 wind zendikon
1 emrakul
4 khalni garden

Shroud:
4 Wall of denial
3 Shpinx of Jwar Isle
2 Calcite Snapper
2 mind spring
4 tectonic edge

I really like it so far. The variance of match-ups is awesome Polymorph is great againt deacks that dont run removal, and fast enough to punish the tap lands of jund, and shroud is control enough to dominate speed decks. I havent really playtested it enough to know all the weaknesses, though I have been defeated by manlands more then I expected. Another topic, which win con should I main deck? MD Polymorph seems more rouge, but MD shroud seems safer.
Mod_Counter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your Idea to merge Polymorph and UW control, I feel like this is a great idea.

I would consider adding one Iona maindeck, since its useful for both the polymorph and the control version.

Martial Coup is also a card i would consider, since it can set up polymorph when you cast it t3 for one soldier token and is better then DoJ in my opinion.

Wind Zendikon seems kinda weak and when you play Martial Coup, I would add some Ponder to the SB instead.

Keep testing the deck and tell me what you think. =)
TweedleD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polymorphing into Sphinx of Jwar Isle is meh... polymorphing into Calcite Snapper is terrible... play 5 or 10 games pre board and 5 or 10 games post against jund if it doesn't go AT LEAST 50% then go back to the drawing board. My guess is it won't.
xanderjanz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tweedleD for not readying anything but the decklist! Please read my post to find out I use the sideboard. Until then, continue wasting everyones time.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TweedleD wrote:
polymorphing into Sphinx of Jwar Isle is meh... polymorphing into Calcite Snapper is terrible... play 5 or 10 games pre board and 5 or 10 games post against jund if it doesn't go AT LEAST 50% then go back to the drawing board. My guess is it won't.

the guy's using a modular sideboard.

when the matchup calls for deck transformation, he does this:

-3 sphinx of jwar isle
-4 wall of denial
-2 calcite snapper
-2 mindspring
-4 tectonic edge
+4 silence
+4 polymorph
+2 wind zendikon
+1 emrakul
+4 khalni garden

so he is no longer going to have the possibility of polymorphing into any of those creatures you mentioned.

what is polymorph good against? a pretty narrow set of decks that kill UW control. sideboard!

what is UW control good against? don't sideboard.

now try reading the entire post... because if you didn't read the OP then i'm sure you didn't read this either.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1