Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

high Tide questions

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
dAEdaL
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islands will produce UUU after two Hide Tides are cast.

No.

If you can get a lethal storm count, sure, but usually the win comes from a neat trick in the form of Remand. Cast it in response to the Brain Freeze, and casting the freeze again for 2 + double the storm count.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off High Tide combo is a really hard deck to play, especially now. No one really plays it because it is bad vs. Merfolk and Gro and most decks play either Aethersworn Canonist or Mindbreak Trap so you just get owned all over the place even if you play perfect. I would never recommend you play it in any way if you weren't up to speed on all the rules of Magic as the entire deck is based on abusing the stack and knowing all the little tricks contained in the deck and one little mistake can easily lose the game for you.

Yes if you cast 2 High Tides every Island will generate 3 mana until end of turn.

The fetchlands shuffle the deck, which is more important than thinning the deck. Fetchland after Brainstorm changes 2 lands and a Brainstorm into 3 good cards.

The way you win depends on the situation. If they are about to win you can interupt them and mill their entire deck then force them to draw a card for the loss. If you think you can go off you can just mill their entire deck at the end of their turn then win at their draw step.

Very few people know how to play the deck correctly because there are hundreds of tricks that are not immediately apparent that you will have to use at some point not to lose the game. For example I've won games before when I fizzled out mid combo with a 10ish storm count and cast Brainfreeze on myself, milled myself down until I had Flash of Insight in GY then stacked my deck and let a few more storm copies resolve to mill the remaining dead cards then chained together the entire rest of my deck Remanding and recasting Brainfreeze multiple times and winning the game with the last card in my deck and their win condition either about to attack or on the bottom of the stack. Basically High Tide is a deck you have to play perfect to even have a chance.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeavyD wrote:
NahHolmes wrote:
First off High Tide combo is a really hard deck to play, especially now. No one really plays it because it is bad vs. Merfolk and Gro and most decks play either Aethersworn Canonist or Mindbreak Trap so you just get owned all over the place even if you play perfect. I would never recommend you play it in any way if you weren't up to speed on all the rules of Magic as the entire deck is based on abusing the stack and knowing all the little tricks contained in the deck and one little mistake can easily lose the game for you.

Yes if you cast 2 High Tides every Island will generate 3 mana until end of turn.

The fetchlands shuffle the deck, which is more important than thinning the deck. Fetchland after Brainstorm changes 2 lands and a Brainstorm into 3 good cards.

The way you win depends on the situation. If they are about to win you can interupt them and mill their entire deck then force them to draw a card for the loss. If you think you can go off you can just mill their entire deck at the end of their turn then win at their draw step.

Very few people know how to play the deck correctly because there are hundreds of tricks that are not immediately apparent that you will have to use at some point not to lose the game. For example I've won games before when I fizzled out mid combo with a 10ish storm count and cast Brainfreeze on myself, milled myself down until I had Flash of Insight in GY then stacked my deck and let a few more storm copies resolve to mill the remaining dead cards then chained together the entire rest of my deck Remanding and recasting Brainfreeze multiple times and winning the game with the last card in my deck and their win condition either about to attack or on the bottom of the stack. Basically High Tide is a deck you have to play perfect to even have a chance.

Thank you for your response. Exactly what I wanted, thanks.

I'm a timing and rules nut. When I seen this deck in action one time I went berserk with ecstasy. (well ok not so severe but you get the point)

Now that it's crossed into Legacy territory I'm wondering if there's other things you can do to it to make it a little nastier? Any ideas?

Really it's just not a good Legacy deck anymore. At one time it was a pretty good deck, maybe even tier 1, but now the game has changed. Since it was good Counterbalance has been printed, Spell Pierce, Cursecatcher, Aethersworn Canonist, Mindbreak Trap, and Stifle and Daze have become very common maindeck, also aggro decks have gotten almost 1/2 a turn faster overall and have the option of running free counters and grizzly bears that make it impossible for you to win in the SB and every red deck plays blasts. You sit there and play maybe one spell a turn for the first 3 turns building a hand then try to go off. They don't have to counter anything until you try to cast High Tide or Reset and by then they have a hand full of free or 1cc counters and it's not pretty. Play ANT if you want to win with combo, play this if you only want to dick around with it.
ant900

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man do I miss Solidarity... The deck was a blast to play.

R.I.P. my friend Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1