Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RoE Plainswalker: Gideon Jura

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: RoE Plainswalker: Gideon Jura Reply with quote

see him here

Gideon Jura
Planeswalker - Gideon 3WW
+2 - during target opponent's next turn, creatures that player controls attack Gideon Jura if able

-2 - Destroy darget tapped creature

0 - Until end of turn, Gideon Jura becomes a 6/6 white soldier creature that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
(6)

well I think we've got a really good PW here. the forced attack, the destroy, and the animation are all solid abilities, and all on one card makes for great versatility.

discuss.
Kienan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He. Is. Absolutely. Flipping. Insane. More on this tomorrow, perhaps, as I'm quite tired.

Point is, he's totally amazing, and extremely powerful. He's one of those cards that will make your opponent want to punch you in the face. Which means you're doing something right. Unless they want to punch you because you're being a jerk, in which case you're just being a jerk, and that's not cool. But, seriously, you know a card is crazy good when you can imagine the shocked looks on your opponents faces when they realize what you just did.

Gids is golden.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He really isn't playable in too many settings...too high mana cost
six
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't see any plainswalkers spoiled here. let me know when the landwalk set is released, k?
warwizard87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

six wrote:
don't see any plainswalkers spoiled here. let me know when the landwalk set is released, k?

roflmao, but yeah he is pretty sick
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't knwo how to evaluate this guy. It could be good or it could be bad. It's that different from anything we've seen before. It's obviously good in limited but which planeswalker isn't? People are already overhyping it. Maybe it will live up to it. Or maybe it's just the next sharkan vol (which sadly I think it's better than the new sharkan) or abyssal persecutor (I won't say lotus cobra because it's actually seeing some play now).
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugenj22 wrote:
I am still hoping for some good instant creature kill, to get rid of manlands.

..Are you kidding me? There's too much instant removal in this format.
Omnomcake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is not better than elspeth, which is the bottom line to why he won't see play. He is arguably worse that Goldmane as well...
ant900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugenj22 wrote:
jonproject wrote:
bugenj22 wrote:

not when shards and m11 rotate out. we will lose path, and maybe O-ring, lightning bolt, I can keep on going. that leave journey to nowhere, and sorcery removal. It will slow the game down, and make manlands alot better, I think the u/b one might see play. you will be able to hit your opponent every turn with out worry of it dieing.

lightning bolt is already confirmed for m11

I hope this guy will be good. I really like how all of his abilities work together.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TugaChampion wrote:
I don't knwo how to evaluate this guy. It could be good or it could be bad. It's that different from anything we've seen before. It's obviously good in limited but which planeswalker isn't? People are already overhyping it. Maybe it will live up to it. Or maybe it's just the next sharkan vol (which sadly I think it's better than the new sharkan) or abyssal persecutor (I won't say lotus cobra because it's actually seeing some play now).

think of it this way...

you play him, kill a creature on the same turn. a problem goes away and you're left with a planesalker. only nicol bolas and chaandra have had things like that, but one's too expensive and one just isn't up to snuff.

now you have a planeswalker and if you're doing it right, you have creatures to defend it with. your opponent doesn't want to swing into him because you'll just be able to prevent it, then kill yet another thing. that's pressure and a 2-for-1.

if your opponent doesnt swing, you have two options: force them to swing if it's favorable to you (always good), or swing into them with an undamageable fatty.

what's not to love?
Kienan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the thing I like about him is his +2. Worst case scenario (exaggeration, but still): Force your opponent to attack. Let Gideon die. Attack your tapped out opponent, often for the win.

But he can have 8 counters the turn he comes into play, and you can still declare blockers, so you can often kill a few creatures, then swing, and not even lose Gids.

The thing I like most about him, though, is that he seems really great at any time. Early he is control, late game he's push for the win. He's so good he seems like he'll often be a win-more card but, if you're losing, he can also single-handedly turn the game around, and be a win card. I haven't played with him yet, but I'm thinking you'll almost never regret drawing him. Each of his abilities is useful and, as I mentioned, he'll come in handy almost no matter when you play him, or what the board looks like.
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are really over-hyping a barely playable card.

1.) This card has no early game as the earliest he'll ever come out is turn 3.
2.) So what if this card comes with assassinate and reverse lure? He'll still be the easily handable kill condition of W control decks everywhere.
3.) His abilities suck to be 5cc. He'll just get negated all day.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugenj22 wrote:
jonproject wrote:
bugenj22 wrote:

not when shards and m11 rotate out. we will lose path, and maybe O-ring, lightning bolt, I can keep on going. that leave journey to nowhere, and sorcery removal. It will slow the game down, and make manlands alot better, I think the u/b one might see play. you will be able to hit your opponent every turn with out worry of it dieing.

So what, did Wizards tell you they're gonna stop printing instant speed removal from here on out?
Bob_A_Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
bugenj22 wrote:
jonproject wrote:
bugenj22 wrote:

So what, did Wizards tell you they're gonna stop printing instant speed removal from here on out?

That'll happen after they ban Island for being broken.
Kienan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HailEris wrote:
...3.) His abilities suck to be 5cc. He'll just get negated all day.

This is the same argument that gets stated over and over. That's like saying Baneslayer sucks because it dies to removal. Plus, while we're on the subject, Baneslayer will get Negated as well. So? Doesn't stop it from being crazy powerful. Nothing is invulnerable to everything. If you only played invulnerable cards, you wouldn't have enough cards to make a deck.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion on what's a good card and what isn't, but claiming something dies to Negate, or Doomblade, or O-Ring, or Path, or whatever is really shortsighted. Things die. Hell, if you want to take the analogy further, people die. Does that mean we shouldn't be born?

In my opinion, Gideon is crazy powerful. He's control. He's destruction. He can swing for six. With a bit of control and some creatures as backup, he can control games. With a few of your own Negates in hand, or something, he can just grab control and annihilate.

I don't get why so many people are saying he sucks, when he so obviously doesn't. Maybe it will turn out that he's not as powerful as I think he is. That happens every set, cards not living up to their initial hype. However, he doesn't suck, not by a long shot.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3