Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SQUEE (Official Rise of the Eldrazi Spoilers)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Kienan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: SQUEE (Official Rise of the Eldrazi Spoilers) Reply with quote

I thought I'd point you all to the official spoilers on the Wizards site, in case you don't check regularly there.

Looks like draft is going to be fuuuun. Level up will be a blast in Limited, as will Totem Armor. Well, everything will probably be fun, although I'm actually least excited about the Eldrazi themselves. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, check it out, if you haven't already. Some other spoilers started floating around today as well. (Here, if you're interested. Oh, they actually just updated to include the new ones from the first link too, as well as the Eldrazi Spawn token. Razz)
ant900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the level up cards are really fugly =/
Vecc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Assassin will be seeing play in Standard... probably not.

The blue Leveler might have been playable if Level Up was instant speed. Getting it Bolt'd after investing 6 mana on it on your turn doesn't feel good, man. Or Doom Blade'd after sinking 9 mana, too.
Kienan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant900 wrote:

I don't know, it's a little awkward. I don't really care, though, still looks like great draft fun.

Vecc wrote:
I wonder if the Assassin will be seeing play in Standard... probably not.

The blue Leveler might have been playable if Level Up was instant speed. Getting it Bolt'd after investing 6 mana on it on your turn doesn't feel good, man. Or Doom Blade'd after sinking 9 mana, too.

I know what you mean, that does seem to be the downside. Especially frustrating with the ones that don't get much of a benefit for a long while, such as the spoiled one without a picture. You have to invest around 14 mana, I think. It's a 6/6 fairly quickly, so out of the range of bolt type spells, but it could still be exiled or destroyed. 14ish mana down the drain...

Still, you can always level up when your opponent is tapped out. I do wish it was instant speed though...Oh well.

I much prefer these newly spoiled cards to the giant fatties though.
nopenopenope

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldrazu design is doen't look like an artifact. Is it me or mtg is looking like Yugiho and pokemon cards day to day?
FrostFire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am calling it now, the blue level up guy will be a 20+ dollar card. Dude is a beast.If your in blue then you will have counters available, and this guy is a mid-late game drop anyhow so hopefully bolts gets wasted early. Damn thats a good card, the best of all the spoiled cards thus far.
Tao

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited for Kienan cuz he asked really nicely... a while ago.

Last edited by Tao on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kienan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
...HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA LEVEL UPP??!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

there's a point where creativity is lost in anything good, and i'm pretty sure this is it. i'm probably never spending a dime on paper magic again. this is absolutely ridiculous.

Oh, people say that every set. I don't buy it. Yeah, I get worried every set as well, but I don't think the change will be that drastic. Play with it a bit when it's out, or go to the prerelease, before you make snap judgments. Cool
Thran_Golem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ant900 wrote:

Agreed whole-heartedly. And while I think they'll be decent/solid limited cards, I can't see level up being used much in constructed at sorcery speed.
Then again, that minotaur shaman looks pretty sick (a 6/6 attacking on T5 in red? And it doesn't die at the beginning of my end step? What's the catch?).

Also, Emrakul = Ridiculous.
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thran_Golem wrote:
ant900 wrote:

Agreed whole-heartedly. And while I think they'll be decent/solid limited cards, I can't see level up being used much in constructed at sorcery speed.
Then again, that minotaur shaman looks pretty sick (a 6/6 attacking on T5 in red? And it doesn't die at the beginning of my end step? What's the catch?).

Also, Emrakul = Ridiculous.

geopede attacks for 5 on turn 3, a 6/6 on turn 5 doesnt rly cut it
Kienan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that Shaman looks pretty nice. I like that it levels at 1, so you can get it out of bolt range quickly.
It would be an interesting twist if you had the choice to pay Level Up costs as a kicker when you cast the spell, as well as once it's in play.
So you could play the guy as a 6/6 for 4RR out of your hand, if you had the mana.

Also, have you seen the mockup? Badass.

(I wish Spoiler tags were enabled here, to clean up posts with pictures. Could an admin install them, by any chance? If so, thanks. Smile)

I don't like the huge gap between 1 and 6, though, and that's a lot of mana.
I lot of these level up critters have the potential to be huge mana traps, as has been mentioned. D-d-d-doom Blade!
Or Path; there are so many ways to deal with most of these guys at instant speed. I'm convinced they'll be really fun in Limited, though. Very Happy

I agree with FrostFire, I think the blue Lighthouse guy is the best so far,
considering it's in a color that stands a chance at protecting him, and he's a recurring Time Warp.

Oh, something occurred to me earlier. Garruk + two Eldrazi Temples (not official yet, but very probable) is pretty nice.
They're lands that add two colorless mana toward colorless Eldrazi spells, if you haven't seen the pictures.

Anyway, Garruk could untap two of them. Razz Something like

T1: Forest, Birds of Paradise.
T2: Eldrazi Temple, Expedition Map (if needed).
T3: Expedition Map into Eldrazi Temple.
T4: Land, Garruk.
T5: Land = twelve mana for a colorless Eldrazi spell. So turn five Kozilek, for instance, is possible.

I realize this isn't the most reliable way, or relevant to T2, but I thought the interaction between Garruk and the Temples was worth mentioning.

Most of these Eldrazi bore me, so far. Kozilek is at least almost affordable, in the right deck, and can draw you four cards.
The common 8/8 will almost certainly be useful in Limited. But they still annoy me, concept-wise.
Kozilek might be useful in Elf Ramp decks, to refill your hand, what do you think? I haven't really played with the deck, so I don't know.
Vecc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, something about giant creatures that make you feel like spending 15 mana on something might be reasonable appeals to me. Don't know about them seeing play, though. For being perfectly splashable and dodging Iona, Kozi might be seeing some play. The 15-costing dude not so much, but he's also a beating.

The red Leveler is definitely the best spoiled so far, like Kienan said. The others feel too risky. :/ But dunno, they have potential. A one-drop that needs to be answered is never too bad, take FoD for reference. Easily the best creature in pre-rotation T2. And blue can protect it's leveler, tho' I think it might not be worth the effort and investment.
Kienan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo, I just thought of something. I was pretty much going to ignore most of these Eldrazi, but I might actually have to make a certain deck, just for the hell of it. Previous Polymorph decks have used Goblin tokens or the like to play their huge creature off of. Well, with Eldrazi Spawn it's possible to cast tokens and ramp at the same time! I hadn't considered that in combination with 'Morph.

It may actually be viable, depending on the as yet unspoiled Spawn generators. If there are cheap ones you could cheat an Emrakul into play on turn 3 or 4...I have to try that, even though I wasn't thrilled about Eldrazi to begin with. Very Happy

Vecc wrote:
I don't know, something about giant creatures that make you feel like spending 15 mana on something might be reasonable appeals to me. Don't know about them seeing play, though. For being perfectly splashable and dodging Iona, Kozi might be seeing some play. The 15-costing dude not so much, but he's also a beating.

Yeah, Kozilek is much closer to playable (hardcasting-wise). However, the raw power of a mostly invulnerable 15/15 does have a certain appeal too, as I mention above. It's not really my style, but there's some potential there, and it's certainly interesting. At first I hated these huge creatures, but now my mindset is more "eh, I'll just play it out, wait and see..." I no longer think it's horrible (although I'm still a little frightened by the apparent mindset behind it), and am just curious to see it unfold.

Russell_Nash wrote:
You guys need to calm down about this level up business, its nothing new. Check out: Figure of Destiny. Nothing new guys, its not the end of magic.

Wholeheartedly agree. Every set it's the same deal. The 'death of magic' will not look anything like this. I'm not sure what it will look like, but it will either be very obvious, or insidious. Level up seems to me to be, more or less, basically just more of the same; A fairly harmless evolution.

Russell_Nash wrote:
The template design looks a little rough. I recall saying the same thing when I saw planeswalkers though.

Looks like a bunch of limited stuff so far, we will probably have a few to see a few constructed level ups though.

Excellent point. This is very similar to when they created a whole new template for Planeswalkers.

Agree there, as well: Looks like mostly limited stuff so far (which I'm fine with, I actually prefer limited!). Although we might see some of the Defender creatures see Constructed play, actually, what with the subtheme, and the apparent attempt to slow things down. I'd be all for this. Plus any decent burn with Rebound will probably see play. Very Happy

If that does happen, Mnemonic Wall might be decent, actually. UR BurnControl?

Oh, and Angelheart Vial is crazy good, if you can keep it in play.

Also, more spoilers will appear at the link at around 9:03 PST tonight, so check it out.
kaamos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldrazi decks with a little haste and that annihilator ability will be rough if they can open fast enough...
NTKProjects

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elves + Khalni Hydra + Momentous Fall = Lots of laughs!

Add it 'Overrun effects' and bestial menace and ready for smile hehehe

Roe comes to standard with slow content, to compensate the format, and slowing it.

when all's said and done Soa block brings midgame + lategame costs, Zendikar and Worldwake brings firstturns + midgame (+ hidden lategame spells waiting for Roe mana producers) and roe brings midgame + lategame costs.

Whatever, i think it will be a very funny limited, a very explorable Standard, and maybe will be trascend a minimal number of some eldrazi and spells to other formats, like Legacy.

-NTK-
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2