Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choose and Target

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Choose and Target Reply with quote

Choose and target are not the same... Till this part, I think that I'm ok with it...

My real question here is:

Can you choose a permanent with shroud? Or in this case, "choosing" isn't possible like "targeting" when we are talking about shroud-permanents?...

This is my only doubt about it, but if there some other differences between "choose" and "target" that you think I should know, please feel free to explain them! Wink

Thanks for the help
Sigil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can. Examples: Pithing needle, Clarion ultimatum.

Also note that you can cast clone choosing a shroud creature.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something only targets if it uses the word 'target'. And Shroud only prevents targetting specifically, no more, no less. Put those together and you have your answer. Choosing is not targetting and Shroud couldn't care less.
Thran_Golem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, you can choose a pro-black creature (for example) with a black spell. Again, protection doesn't mention 'choosing' in the rulebook, so it's fair game.
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys!

Just one more thing...

When you have to choose a permanent on the battlefield (a creature for example), your opponent cannot turn the chosen permanent illegal, like what we usually do when you are targeting a creature and it is bolted in order to make it an illegal target, and the spell simply cant resolve anymore...
That only works with "targets", cause when you are choosing a permanent, if it became illegal, you can simply choose another one (if you have another one, of corse). Am I right about this?
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time you're instructed to choose a permanent, it will be on resolution of a spell or ability. There is not going to be any time between when you choose and when whatever action involving it occurs for your opponent to play anything, so there is never going to be a chance for your opponent to make your choice illegal after you make it.

chakal_rbn wrote:

When you have to choose a permanent on the battlefield (a creature for example), your opponent cannot turn the chosen permanent illegal, like what we usually do when you are targeting a creature and it is bolted in order to make it an illegal target, and the spell simply cant resolve anymore...
That only works with "targets", cause when you are choosing a permanent, if it became illegal, you can simply choose another one (if you have another one, of corse). Am I right about this?
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1