Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mtg movie,Script nearly complete,searching for co-writers


Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Author Message
MC_Kejml



Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Mtg movie,Script nearly complete,searching for co-writers Reply with quote

Hello.

I have a M:tg movie project undergo and about three months of storymaking, script-working, and so on with my team. I have producents arranged.

So I came to all the popular servers like Thesource, Mtgsal, M-L, ... In searching for people that would like to help with finishing the story and polishing the script.

What do I have to offer? Two facts.

The movie will be made and will be succesful. I have absolute faith in that, since it's true. The producers are ready, they just await the scripture to begin shooting.

Legal issues are resolved as a "nonprofit movie", as in "Hunt for gollum".

Anyone who is interested, please PM me or mail at MC_Kejml @ post.cz, eventually ICQ 238560172.
I don't want to discuss the project in public.

Have a great day!
Back to top
Tao



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 864

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw man. This movie thing is for real? Time for me to start playing poker, seeing as MtG just ran it's course.
Back to top
asamodious



Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 362

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Back to top
Avata



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 407

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
Aw man. This movie thing is for real? Time for me to start playing poker, seeing as MtG just ran it's course.



Some fan not sanctioned by WotC has half a script and maybe a handheld camera... I doubt you can blame Wizards for that.

Poker is where the moneys at anyway, though.
Back to top
Tao



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 864

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Poker is where the moneys at anyway, though.


True true. However, this means you're working with a game that attracts bigger douchebags than MtG. And MtG attracted some preeeetty big douchers in my day.
Back to top
Avata



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 407

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonproject wrote:
Quote:
Poker is where the moneys at anyway, though.


True true. However, this means you're working with a game that attracts bigger douchebags than MtG. And MtG attracted some preeeetty big douchers in my day.


I turn the chat box off when I play online, and at any rate, people are usually pretty good natured unless they're losing, at which point, they're essentially paying you to be douchebags, which is fine with me. Smile
Back to top
Tao



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 864

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I turn the chat box off when I play online


facepalm facepalm facepalm. How have I not thought of doing this......
Back to top
Tuffy



Joined: 30 Sep 2009
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if your a poker baller you play 10+tables at once, and dont talk to anyone at all.
Back to top
Alphakiller



Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few questions directed at original poster...

what's the budget for this project? how are you going to make it come anywhere near living up to the fantasy worlds with greater than thousands of creatures, spells, and effects?

how are you going to create even a planeswalking effect?

what will be the storyline focus of this, and how will you keep it from becoming outdated fairly quickly in a few months with the release of a new set?

unless you put a lot of money into special effects, the best you're going to get is a bad B movie... and that's at best.




or perhaps you may answer (just to shoot it down beforehand) that you'll make a movie of people playing cards... just don't. that's what tournament coverage is for.

or maybe an epic plot where the protagonist must excel at a card game in order to save his family/friends/the world? go watch yu-gi-oh.


those aside... i'm sure that a MTG movie would be very good... if done right.

and that means lots of good special effects, a plotline that transcends the basic cycling of sets(perhaps the story of garruk or elspeth, rather than a story of any particular plane), and lots and lots of money.
Back to top
Ixirawr



Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphakiller wrote:
a few questions directed at original poster...

what's the budget for this project? how are you going to make it come anywhere near living up to the fantasy worlds with greater than thousands of creatures, spells, and effects?

how are you going to create even a planeswalking effect?

what will be the storyline focus of this, and how will you keep it from becoming outdated fairly quickly in a few months with the release of a new set?

unless you put a lot of money into special effects, the best you're going to get is a bad B movie... and that's at best.




or perhaps you may answer (just to shoot it down beforehand) that you'll make a movie of people playing cards... just don't. that's what tournament coverage is for.

or maybe an epic plot where the protagonist must excel at a card game in order to save his family/friends/the world? go watch yu-gi-oh.


those aside... i'm sure that a MTG movie would be very good... if done right.

and that means lots of good special effects, a plotline that transcends the basic cycling of sets(perhaps the story of garruk or elspeth, rather than a story of any particular plane), and lots and lots of money.

Don't be such a douche bag. Obviously this is a fan movie, and not going to be of Hollywood quality. But guess what? Fan movies can still be good!

You don't need ridiculously awesome special effects to create a sense that magic is happening. And who says it has to be on what is the current T2? Have you read any of the MtG books? Some of them could easily be done on a budget (and have better plots than anything out now). The Ice Age cycles for example.
Back to top
OilSlick



Joined: 30 Aug 2009
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of confused...

Are you making a movie about creatures, spells and planeswalkers?

Or is it a movie about a fat kid(Or a Fat 30+ year old who lives with his mother) with zits and glasses, who would pay $50 for a piece of cardboard with a picture of a hot lady with wings and a sword. He doesn't shower or use deodorant. If he is white he is afraid of blacks and hispanics and looks up to Asians and the only porn he watches is with cartoon characters?
Back to top
Alphakiller



Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 166

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixirawr wrote:
Alphakiller wrote:
a few questions directed at original poster...

what's the budget for this project? how are you going to make it come anywhere near living up to the fantasy worlds with greater than thousands of creatures, spells, and effects?

how are you going to create even a planeswalking effect?

what will be the storyline focus of this, and how will you keep it from becoming outdated fairly quickly in a few months with the release of a new set?

unless you put a lot of money into special effects, the best you're going to get is a bad B movie... and that's at best.




or perhaps you may answer (just to shoot it down beforehand) that you'll make a movie of people playing cards... just don't. that's what tournament coverage is for.

or maybe an epic plot where the protagonist must excel at a card game in order to save his family/friends/the world? go watch yu-gi-oh.


those aside... i'm sure that a MTG movie would be very good... if done right.

and that means lots of good special effects, a plotline that transcends the basic cycling of sets(perhaps the story of garruk or elspeth, rather than a story of any particular plane), and lots and lots of money.

Don't be such a douche bag. Obviously this is a fan movie, and not going to be of Hollywood quality. But guess what? Fan movies can still be good!

You don't need ridiculously awesome special effects to create a sense that magic is happening. And who says it has to be on what is the current T2? Have you read any of the MtG books? Some of them could easily be done on a budget (and have better plots than anything out now). The Ice Age cycles for example.


i'm not trying to be a douche... just pointing out the most common result of such a venture.

yes, fan movies can still be good, but a great likelyhood is that they'll be rife with bad acting, worse effects, and things that just break immersion because of a lack of good setting.

and while you don't need special effects to make the point that magic is happening, yes, you do need to take into account that spells in the MTG universe are most often flashy.

and I do agree that a movie can be good for any setting or plot in the MTG universe... but the issue is how well known is it? most people who know about the game play t2, and most new players go straight to that. the new players won't know anything about anything but the current t2, and older sets don't get much recognition from new players.


if I were to personally try this out... i'd learn some video editing and modelling so that I could try and get it to look a bit realistic. I'm not really going to go for this because i know enough about myself to know that it'd probably die early in developement (like half my other "big ideas"), but if you're going to go for this and you have the resources to make it something that won't scare your audience away with bad effects, then I heartily applaud you for something that a vast majority of people are unable to do.
Back to top
MC_Kejml



Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies,

I'll try and address every relevant one.

jonproject wrote:
Aw man. This movie thing is for real? Time for me to start playing poker, seeing as MtG just ran it's course.


Yes, this is for real. Seeing that we've been working for some time now and overcome several recessions, I believe it's going the right "real" way.

Avata wrote:

Some fan not sanctioned by WotC has half a script and maybe a handheld camera... I doubt you can blame Wizards for that.
Poker is where the moneys at anyway, though.


Would you like to ask about anything to avoid such misunderstandings?

Alphakiller wrote:
a few questions directed at original poster...

what's the budget for this project? how are you going to make it come anywhere near living up to the fantasy worlds with greater than thousands of creatures, spells, and effects?


We are not going to make any CGI or other digital effects. It is a movie from real world, not from M:tg world. But I don't really want to publish any of it yet, unless it is by PM.

Alphakiller wrote:
what will be the storyline focus of this, and how will you keep it from becoming outdated fairly quickly in a few months with the release of a new set?


As I said, time is the not the main factor here. We are planning to use some actual cards, but by the time the movie is released they'll still be considered "Hot".

Alphakiller wrote:
or maybe an epic plot where the protagonist must excel at a card game in order to save his family/friends/the world? go watch yu-gi-oh.


From what I've heard, yu-gi-oh was a really bad movie, but the card players could've seen it otherwise. Thanks for your opinion, but we aren't going to make something that "epic", haha Wink


Alphakiller wrote:
those aside... i'm sure that a MTG movie would be very good... if done right.


Yes, that we can both agree on!

Alphakiller wrote:
and that means lots of good special effects, a plotline that transcends the basic cycling of sets(perhaps the story of garruk or elspeth, rather than a story of any particular plane), and lots and lots of money.


That would be really impressive.

Ixirawr wrote:
Don't be such a douche bag. Obviously this is a fan movie, and not going to be of Hollywood quality. But guess what? Fan movies can still be good! ...


Thanks Wink

OilSlick wrote:
Kind of confused...

Are you making a movie about creatures, spells and planeswalkers?

Or is it a movie about a fat kid(Or a Fat 30+ year old who lives with his mother) with zits and glasses, who would pay $50 for a piece of cardboard with a picture of a hot lady with wings and a sword. He doesn't shower or use deodorant. If he is white he is afraid of blacks and hispanics and looks up to Asians and the only porn he watches is with cartoon characters?


Not any of that, but those could be really funny Wink

LegoSargon wrote:
if your going to do this you need to have a good plot like people said you cant just have the evolution of sets it would be far to dull you should have something like the quest for the holy grail but the quest for the the black lotus and 5 moxen or something because everyone knows about the moxen and black lotus and have the planeswalkers as the characters with all the spells and creatures in the game at there disposal for battles just an idea to throw out there


We are still trying to polish both the plot and the script, that's why I've come here Smile
Back to top
OldBear



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 1840

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OilSlick wrote:
Kind of confused...

Are you making a movie about creatures, spells and planeswalkers?

Or is it a movie about a fat kid(Or a Fat 30+ year old who lives with his mother) with zits and glasses, who would pay $50 for a piece of cardboard with a picture of a hot lady with wings and a sword. He doesn't shower or use deodorant. If he is white he is afraid of blacks and hispanics and looks up to Asians and the only porn he watches is with cartoon characters?


If that was a movie with will ferrel in i would watch it would be hilarious.
Back to top
MC_Kejml



Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. We now have a forum running and discussing about the possible movie plot and script. Everybody is still free to join, contact me on MC_Kejml @ post.cz, by PM or ICQ 238560172. Thanks!

It's http://s7.invisionfree.com/MagicTheMovie, by the way.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy