Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An FNM Report: R/G Valakut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Oop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been currently playing valakut for a bit... and actually just top 8'd game day today with it... I really feel you have too much ramp in your build... my list is very very close to the one that top'd in San Diego and I feel that is a fine amount of ramp.... you REALLY need burn mainboard for SO many matches

I do agree that it feels like its a great deck for this meta... the only games I really lost were against jund and BUSTED draws.... one game was... t3 thrainax t4 bloodbraid into blightning, t5 bloodbraid into blightning

Also a jund match I played was against the person who got me to try out valakut and he knows the deck far better than I do and knows the strengths / weaknesses... including pulsing khalni heart which completely owns you Sad

A couple things... first of all Avenger of Zendikar is a house... he is so amazing against almost every deck that I almost wanna put a couple mainboard and not in side...

I am kind of curious how you like the white in your sideboard... I haven't tried out that build but was curious how good you think it is... There arent many spreading seas around here... more tectonic edges do didn't really feel like tempest of lights was the best idea... but I like the idea of realm razor when you have valakut and 6 mountains out... so either they die to razor or kill him and take 18 lol
Joby_Turk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides a few grammer errors very nice. You might be able to get some pretty decent feed back explaining how you sided and why you choose to side this way. You can get ideas from people playing the same deck on how they sided and there sb plans against certain decks. Here's the ramp list I play with when i get the urge to play ramp. Hope it helps.

// Lands
3 [UG] Forest
1 [WWK] Sejiri Steppe
1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
1 [UG] Swamp
2 [UG] Plains
2 [UG] Mountain
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [ALA] Jungle Shrine
1 [M10] Rootbound Crag
1 [M10] Sunpetal Grove
2 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood
2 [WWK] Raging Ravine
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa

// Creatures
4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
4 [M10] Acidic Slime
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
4 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
1 [WWK] Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs

// Spells
4 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant
4 [ARB] Trace of Abundance
1 [TE] Rampant Growth
3 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
2 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
SB: 1 [WWK] Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
SB: 4 [CFX] Path to Exile
SB: 4 [A] Lightning Bolt
SB: 2 [ALA] Realm Razer
SB: 2 [ZEN] Mold Shambler

Ps: How do you like lavaball trap? my friends shoot down my idea of running it in there ramp decklist.
Oop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Lavaball Trap.... nobody ever plays around it... so every once in a while you can completely savage aggro decks...

During Game Day I didn't actually once cast it for the trap cost... but I hard casted it 5 times... everytime it was a 4-6 for 1.... complete blow out...

Vampires is one of the decks that card is just stupidly overpowered against... they drop a nocturus and a fetch to try to gaurentee a win and you just blow up their whole board...

The only problem I actually have with lavaball trap... is whenever I want to play it for the trap cost you have to have a back up plan available incase they dont drop a fetch, usually this just meant having a bolt or something, or holding a harrow for a double valakut trigger to stay alive.. but I must say when resolved it usually wins you the game automatically....

I replaced the chain reactions in my SB with lavaball trap and havent looked back

Granted... Joby's deck is nothing like valakut.... BUTTTTTTTTT lavaball trap = fun! Smile
asamodious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knighted wrote:
Joby_Turk wrote:
Besides a few grammer errors very nice. You might be able to get some pretty decent feed back explaining how you sided and why you choose to side this way. You can get ideas from people playing the same deck on how they sided and there sb plans against certain decks. Here's the ramp list I play with when i get the urge to play ramp. Hope it helps.

// Lands
3 [UG] Forest
1 [WWK] Sejiri Steppe
1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
1 [UG] Swamp
2 [UG] Plains
2 [UG] Mountain
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [ALA] Jungle Shrine
1 [M10] Rootbound Crag
1 [M10] Sunpetal Grove
2 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood
2 [WWK] Raging Ravine
4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa

// Creatures
4 [M10] Acidic Slime
4 [ZEN] Lotus Cobra
4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
4 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
1 [WWK] Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs

// Spells
4 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant
4 [ARB] Trace of Abundance
1 [TE] Rampant Growth
3 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
2 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
SB: 1 [WWK] Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
SB: 4 [CFX] Path to Exile
SB: 4 [A] Lightning Bolt
SB: 2 [ALA] Realm Razer
SB: 2 [ZEN] Mold Shambler

Ps: How do you like lavaball trap? my friends shoot down my idea of running it in there ramp decklist.

wait what does that have to do with R/G valkut decks?

Yay, way to post a completely different deck on his thread.

Naya Ramp != G/r valakut.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Realm Razer is a blowout then why not play him main deck? I think that would work out well. You could use Bolt and maybe Path in the main. Plus you could play like a combo deck with Realm Razer and removal. I think that a main deck white splash would make your Jund and aggro matches better overall. One more main deck Lavaball Trap would be nice also.

Any thoughts on a draw engine for the deck. I really loved Ravnica era Ramp and what made it so good was Harmonize. You could ramp out your hand and refill a turn later. It was almost never a bad top deck.
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If U/W control was actually "the Jund killer" then this deck would be another one that craps on U/W control (other than RDW and Boros, although U/W control can beat either of those decks, especially after side board).
SJM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dar00069 wrote:
U/W control has a real problem with creatures with haste. if you can get them to stick and swing in on the same turn they cant do anything about it. Toss in things like river boa or stag and you can have them on the ropes in no time. also Spellbreaker Behemoth just kills them.

U/W control seems over played in my area.

I might main deck river boa in Jund along with sable stag for the lulz.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd actually prefer to main-deck stag in my jund. it's a strong card by itself, but against over half the decks in the format he's downright evil.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why some people actually think this deck is good. I have never lost to it even when I was playing eldrazi green right after that 5K. And it certainly didn't get anything that can make a bad deck into a decent one from wwk. On top of not being good it also has mana problems (often it's missing green). If you're gonna play a deck that doesn't have a very consistent mana base at least play one that is good when the mana works (jund or naya).
gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJM wrote:
If U/W control was actually "the Jund killer" then this deck would be another one that craps on U/W control (other than RDW and Boros, although U/W control can beat either of those decks, especially after side board).

uw control destroys rg valakut
Insom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pretty decent deck. Kazuul and Avenger are bombs that help quite a bit from wwk.
Kamahl95

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can play magma phoenix over caldera hellion at any time of the day

i like the list, congrats.
AlexTrebek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the list I run at FNM.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [ALA] Naya Panorama
1 [ALA] Jund Panorama
4 [ZEN] Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4 [TSP] Terramorphic Expanse
12 [AN] Mountain
4 [OV] Forest

// Creatures
3 [ZEN] Oracle of Mul Daya
3 [TSP] Bogardan Hellkite
4 [10E] Siege-Gang Commander

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Khalni Heart Expedition
4 [ZEN] Lavaball Trap
4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
4 [M10] Rampant Growth
4 [ZEN] Harrow

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [TSP] Bogardan Hellkite
SB: 3 [M10] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [WWK] Avenger of Zendikar
SB: 4 [ALA] Magma Spray
SB: 4 [M10] Naturalize

Burn doesn't really matter since you can just throw SGCs to stall them if you don't combo out by turn 5. Boros and RDW have been pretty much hated out of the format at my FNM and they're the only decks that solitare faster.
kaamos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexTrebek wrote:
Here's the list I run at FNM.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
1 [ALA] Naya Panorama
1 [ALA] Jund Panorama
4 [ZEN] Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4 [TSP] Terramorphic Expanse
12 [AN] Mountain
4 [OV] Forest

// Creatures
3 [ZEN] Oracle of Mul Daya
3 [TSP] Bogardan Hellkite
4 [10E] Siege-Gang Commander

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Khalni Heart Expedition
4 [ZEN] Lavaball Trap
4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
4 [M10] Rampant Growth
4 [ZEN] Harrow

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [TSP] Bogardan Hellkite
SB: 3 [M10] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [WWK] Avenger of Zendikar
SB: 4 [ALA] Magma Spray
SB: 4 [M10] Naturalize

Burn doesn't really matter since you can just throw SGCs to stall them if you don't combo out by turn 5. Boros and RDW have been pretty much hated out of the format at my FNM and they're the only decks that solitare faster.

kebert xela
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2