Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ricochet Trap + Thoughtseize

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Tritemio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Ricochet Trap + Thoughtseize Reply with quote

1. Can I play Thoughtseize on target player even if he have empty hand? I lose 2 life?

2. Can I play Thoughtseize targetting on me? I must show my hand?
Can i don't choose any card? or i must choose a non land card?

3. the same of 2 but with Ricochet Trap
Laughing
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. yes.

2. yes, you have to choose a card.

3. yes.
asamodious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me explain a little better then the previous poster.

If you cast thoughtseize and your opponent uses trap. You will have to reveal your hand (it says so right on the card...it doesnt matter that your the one that chooses a card). You will then lose 2 life and pick a card of your choice out of your own hand. This is the same if you just cast thoughtseize on yourself (useful for getting something like inkwell leviathan in the graveyard so you can then cast reanimate or something on it).

If your opponent is casting thoughtseize and you cast trap, He will reveal, lose two life and pick a card.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can he "fail to find a card"?
Thran_Golem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

You can only "fail to find a card" when two conditions are true:

1. You must be searching a hidden zone (such as a library or hand under normal circumstances)
2. You must be looking for something that could, in theory, not be in that zone (for example, a specific card, or a type of card)

In this case, while 2 holds up (it is in theory possible that there are only lands in that player's hand), 1 does not (the hand is revealed, and thus not hidden). If thoughtseize instead said "look at target players hand ... " you could fail to find a card, since it would still be a hidden zone in that case.
asamodious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vedrfolner wrote:

Guess my reasoning was wrong...but yes you have to find a card.

Last edited by asamodious on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Thran_Golem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asamodious wrote:
Vedrfolner wrote:

No..Since the hand is revealed. And since both players can see the hand, its not a hidden zone.

Actually, it turns out we are both wrong. When using Thoughtseize, you can fail to find a card. From the comp rules:

Quote:
400.2. (...) Hidden zones are zones in which not all players can be expected to see the cards’ faces. Library and hand are hidden zones, even if all the cards in one such zone happen to be revealed.

Quote:
701.14b If a player is searching a hidden zone for cards with a stated quality, such as a card with a certain card type or color, that player isn’t required to find some or all of those cards even if they’re present in that zone.

The hand is a hidden zone whether or not it's revealed, and so a player can fail to find cards with a stated quality (such as a non-land card).
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoughtseize isnt searching for a card you reveal the hand and choose a card, its mandatory
Thran_Golem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
thoughtseize isnt searching for a card you reveal the hand and choose a card, its mandatory

Good point. I stand corrected.
Malakai97
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy is correct
Kienan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thran_Golem wrote:
The hand is a hidden zone whether or not it's revealed...

It's a good point, though. I didn't know that. Heh, it's hidden even when it...isn't. Weird.
Thran_Golem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
You don't understand. "Hidden" is not key in this ruling. It doesn't say "search", it says "choose".

That was a misread on my part - it does say choose, and so you have to choose a card.
Kienan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
You don't understand. "Hidden" is not key in this ruling. It doesn't say "search", it says "choose".

And you both misinterpreted my post. All I meant was that it's interesting that a hidden zone is hidden even when it is revealed. I understand that it isn't relevant to this particular instance...it's just interesting, and something I wasn't aware of.
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kienan wrote:

And you both misinterpreted my post. All I meant was that it's interesting that a hidden zone is hidden even when it is revealed. I understand that it isn't relevant to this particular instance...it's just interesting, and something I wasn't aware of.

You misunderstand the rule. If a zone is revealed, it is not hidden. The rules says if all cards in a zone are revealed, the zone is still hidden. For example, if you have Future Sight in play and only one card in your library, your library is still a hidden zone, even though all the cards in your library are revealed.
Kami5909

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that exactly what he just said? He understands the rule, he just thinks it's interesting.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2