Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protection from red and Earthquake

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Kurtgrunge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) When a card says "Do x damage to EACH creature" it means that every creature get the damage from that source,so kor firewalker would get red damage on it but it's protected so it doesn't die,it works the same way of pyroclasm- I know it's not the best description of what happens in term of rules knowledge by me but i know it works like this and i tryed to explain Very Happy

2) With earthquake i think you have to choose if your opponent's get damage or his planeswalker,can't do both i think.
JVQ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protection prevents the firewalker of being targeted by any red card, and it also prevents him of receiving damage from a red source. So, the earthquake does not says target, but it makes damage.

So, the firewalker will stay alive.
Thran_Golem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Protection from Red prevents all red damage dealt to Kor Firewalker: it doesn't matter whether that damage comes from a creature, a targeted spell/ability, or a non-targeted spell/ability.

2) Whenever an effect you control would deal damage to a player, you may choose to redirect that damage to a planeswalker he or she controls. So for each player that controls a planeswalker, you get to choose whether the player takes X or one of their planeswalkers takes X (you can't split the X between the two, nor can you deal X to each of them).
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arielloria wrote:
but it says "each player"...

each player be my opponent, I and the planewakers that we control...

Planeswalkers that are cards aren't the same as planeswalkers that aren't cards. Planeswalkers on the battlefield are not players.
Thran_Golem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planeswalker cards, spells, and permanents are not players. While it would make sense from a flavour perspective, planeswalkers can't make decisions, can't discard cards, can't draw cards, can't search their library, etc., and so the rules would be very unhappy whenever there was a planeswalker in play.

This is one part of the game where the rules have to take precedence over flavour. Kind of like how, in a heated duel, I calmly wait for my opponent to finish deciding whether or not to block my charging army before I let them smash his face in. I can either overlook that gap in flavour or not play Magic.
whoempah_666

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, you can choose to redirect damage from earthquake to your opponents plainswalker, but not to your own
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can only redirect the damage from earthquake (and similar cards) only to one planeswalker, not to all planeswalkers your opponent have in that moment as they were players...

People usually say that planeswalker are the same as a player, cause you can deal damage to them with spells that have players as their targets ("target player", "deal damage to all players", etc)... That's the reason why people usually sees them like a player, but as Thran_Golem has explained, they are not players...

You simply can redirect non-combat damage that are targeting a player, to one of his planeswalker instead.

=> Note that you can only redirect non-combat damage from a player to a planeswalker. Combat damage targets planeswalker directly, the damage aren't redirected from the player to the planeswalker, Only non-combat damage are!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1