Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too Expensive

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic

Too expensive
yes
77%
 77%  [ 14 ]
no
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 18

SniperMayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace is $60. The prices are ridiculous.
InWaking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, that's why most of us just play MWS. I tried to get back into IRL magic I built a vampire deck, I have almost everything for it aside from three nocturnus which I've already spent 80 dollars on the deck not about to spend 40 more one a card that is good in one deck only. That vampire is only 13 dollars each. haha magic is expensive for sure.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTG is an expensive hobby. Such is reality.
InWaking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantos86 wrote:
MTG is an expensive hobby. Such is reality.

It wasn't always, I've been playing for too many years, I used to be able to build tournament winning decks 50 dollars tops. Back in my day you could buy a living death for 5 dollars along with entombs for a nickel each. (this has started to turn into sarcasm but really these cards were cheap and the deck was awesome)
When I used to play bargain in T2 the bargains were like 12 dollars each and everything else in it was dirt cheap.
CounterOath the same thing the only cards that have always been kinda expensive in my time of playing magic are duallands.
I'm just preaching to the chior haha
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of the reasons I quit. The other was because of the fact that the game just gets redundant. New set, same old design. They think the way to make the game interesting is to print some really good cards amongst a sea of crap and let you fixate on the only good cards in a set, thus drive the price up. Mythic Rares? Way to force us into cracking more boosters to fill your wallets. More sets a year? Way to force us into buying more over priced pieces of paper yearly to keep up with the most played format. Pretty soon all these people that make the game thrive is going to be its downfall. People will have to choose; Do I want to eat, or do I want a piece of colored paper that is worth XX.XX now but in a year not worth wiping my ass with? I know someone is going to post "Wizards doesn't put the prices on singles..' and all I have to say is BULLSHIT. Wizards may not directly price singles, but they do determine the quality of cards they print, and how rare they are to get which in an indirect way price the cards. Then someone else (or even the same person) will say "They have to print crap cards because if they don't the game will be over powered" or something to that extent. My reply to that is there is a very big difference in keeping the game balanced and simply forcing players to buy more. Maybe when the majority of players realize this they will grow some balls and complain to Wizards. We, or should I say YOU, players are what keep this game going. Without you Wizards would be printing these for nothing more than fantasy masturbation material for some loser in their mommy/daddy's basement, more or less themselves.

In short; Magic, while in its prime, is digging its own grave. Its only downhill from here.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"They have to print crap cards because if they don't the game will be over powered" or something to that extent. My reply to that is there is a very big difference in keeping the game balanced and simply forcing players to buy more.

My reply would be "NORIN THE WARY FTW!"
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Steamflogger Boss? Seriously, a fucking joke card. I love spending 4 dollars a pack to get a card that is a joke and has no intentions of ever being playable. Thank you Wizards, may I have another anal raping? Ill pay you for it too!
InWaking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I demand some contraption assembeling riggers!!!
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason singles used to be so much cheaper is that no one wanted them. Nowadays most every tournament player netdecks so most every tournament player wants the same cards, driving up the price.

I know what you all mean, and I do agree, but at its core magic is a collectible card game. It's not Pokemon, you don't have to "catch them all".

I'm sure when we all started, we didn't buy boxes of cards. I know I would buy maybe 10-15 packs/set and fill it out with commons and uncommons from the singles binder, occassionally splurging on some neat rare. Ideally, magic is a casual game where you use the cards you own, and not everyone has 4 of everything.

I remember Maro saying something along the lines of "Limitation begets creativity" and he makes a good point. When I was a lot younger my collection was pretty awful compared to when I was older, but I tell ya, I think my win % was higher. I would play with my older brothers and their friends (Who had jobs) and I was forced to adapt. I was always a real threat though, cause my decks had to be unexpected or metagamed against them.

I don't know. I agree Jace and Slayer are crazily priced, but I also know I don't need to own 4 of each. If I can't afford them, it's extra special to open 1 in a draft or sealed.

You know, just go to FNM with a subpar deck. Maybe you'll have to outwit your opponent rather than just overpower them with rares, and how is that a bad thing?

One of my biggest beefs with wizards is FNM. I want to go play a shitty T2 deck for fun, but man, it just kills my rating. I was about 1860 and played in an FNM, went 1-3, had a lot of fun, and found out later I lost about 50 points. I mean seriously, making a non pro player like me not want to play casually is killing the game for me.
wrxkid950

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well not only that but u also have to think about new players, magic is on the rise and more and more ppl are starting to play, with the more demand on certain cards the price goes up becuase it limits the amount avalible.
mchosa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srsly... a playset of black lotus is ridiculous
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:

One of my biggest beefs with wizards is FNM. I want to go play a shitty T2 deck for fun, but man, it just kills my rating. I was about 1860 and played in an FNM, went 1-3, had a lot of fun, and found out later I lost about 50 points. I mean seriously, making a non pro player like me not want to play casually is killing the game for me.

lies 8 x 3 is 24 most points u can lose at fnm if u 0-3 is 24 points as its 8k and u 1-3 not 0-3
Kytep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acid_Christ wrote:
Maybe when the majority of players realize this they will grow some balls and complain to Wizards.

And the only complaint that will get Wizards' attention is to STOP BUYING CARDS - packs, singles, whatever. If all players do is call some hotline and say, "I don't like this", but yet they keep going out and buying the very things they say they don't like, Wizards will think, "Hmm...on the one hand, some people say not to do this...on the other hand, they are giving us lots of money to keep doing it...what to do, what to do..."

And for those who don't understand economics well enough to realize that high singles prices translate into greater profits for Wizards, think about what would happen if all of the best cards (Baneslayer, Tarmogoyf, etc.) were commons. Everyone could buy one booster box for $90 or whatever, get their Baneslayer playsets, and be done. But when Baneslayers are so rare that the price goes up to $100 each, there will be people who buy more than just that one box, trying to get another Baneslayer, even if for no other reason than to sell it for a profit. Imagine if there were only 4 Baneslayers in the world, and they were priced at $2,000 each because they were so rare. Wouldn't you buy another $90 box (or ten!) for a decent chance of opening one up? Of course you would; many do this, and the price falls from $2,000 each down towards an "equilibrium" price of $100 or whatever.

Restricting the supply of a high-demand item increases the price, which translates into greater volumes purchased for any fixed-price chance of getting said item (i.e., booster boxes).

Sorry to get on the economics tangent there, I just get so annoyed when people claim that high singles prices don't translate into profits for Wizards*. If that were really the case, they could make EVERYONE happy and print Baneslayers, Jace, etc. as commons. But they don't. Why would that be?? Hmmm....

* NOT suggesting you are one of these, Acid_Christ; just venting in my reply to your post.

Kytep
Ggerg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other thing driving prices up lately is wizards printing a larger amount of playable and good cards at common and uncommon. this sees less members of the 'casual competitive' crowd opening boosters.

on a side note, there's a possibility of a close to $1000 standard deck now...baneslayer, jace, abyssal persecutor, elspeth, marsh flats, drowned catacomb, glacial fortress, etc.
OldBear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something everyone seems to agree on.

The price's are ridicolus and these days the metagame changes so fast that your $2000 dollar deck can be completely unplayable next week.

This is the problem with diverse meta games, as much as everyone hated affinity, at least when you bought it and besides ravagers it was not that expensive, you had a deck that you could take to any tournament and stand a good chance of winning for Im not sure how long a time period it was but it felt like value for money to me.

There have been a series of things that have upset me with wizards rarity system the mythics are not cool and things like thoughtseize being rare, since when has a 1 mana hand disruption spell been rare, duress was common, therapy was uncommon, why is thoughtseize rare it should'nt been, the only logic behind it being rare is the fact people are going to want to play it.

Which is why I for the most part play limited prob something close to 95% of my play is limited as opposed to 5% constructed these days.

As I happen to be quite a strong limited player and from time to time turn a nice little profit playing a set and even if I do not I can generally make 4 sets of boosters last me a months of drafting every day. 48$ for a month of drafting every day is a pretty good deal, generally rare drafts atleast account for the 2 tix to play, informats with higher EV this is how I make money, (buy the time I had run out of MED3 booesters I also top 32 the release championship which helped here I had an extra 200 tix in my modo account and a volcanic island, plateau and mana drain unsold cause they were good additions to my 100 singleton UWR conrtol deck, Much the same with tripple Ravnica draft.

What wizards are doing makes financial sense, however the company has lost its soul, in musical terms they've stoped being an artist producing something meaningful and personal and become a performer doing whatever makes the most money. I guess thats what hasbro does.

Its not about there fans anymore the gamers and keeping them happy, its about getting more fans even if that mean the game loses its roots as a price. Cause more fans equates to more money and most people can not see the bigger picture than the $.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2