Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Divination Vs Treasure Hunt

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Which Better?
Treasure Hunt
64%
 64%  [ 16 ]
Divination
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 25

Mau07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Divination Vs Treasure Hunt Reply with quote

Which card u think is better in a URB Control pyromancer deck, without using the new jace, and with a 24 land build.
gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treasure hunt gets you a spell to further combo off with ascension the fact that ppl are saying divination is insane
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
treasure hunt gets you a spell to further combo off with ascension the fact that ppl are saying divination is insane

You're missing an important piece of what he's saying.

Quote:
Which card u think is better in a URB Control pyromancer deck, without using the new jace, and with a 24 land build.

He's running a control deck, without WWK Jace, and with only 24 lands. In cases like this, I would rather have Divination. I can't manipulate the top of the deck to get more than 1 card out of Treasure Hunt, and with only 24 lands, there is a much lower chance that Treasure Hunt would net me more than 1 card.

@OP: Hopefully you're at least running the old Jace, because control without Jace and only 24 lands is fail.
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the guarantee here I think. You have to go with divination.

In general, I would go with the Hunt even though both are pretty bad.

Where's Concentration when you need it?
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd crap myself a little if they reprint it.
Mau07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decks runs no jace because wants to abuse of the instant/sorcery cards,i think that 24 land, with 4 ponder and 4 treasure hunt/divination isnt that bad
imtheguido

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The addition of jace allows you to abuse those sorcery/instant cards FASTER than without him. You have a brainstorm engine, a bounce which "time walks" early game, and you can pull game winning cards off the top of your opponents deck. The fourth ability has no relevance, as you will almost never see it become active in the current meta.
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mau07 wrote:
The decks runs no jace because wants to abuse of the instant/sorcery cards,i think that 24 land, with 4 ponder and 4 treasure hunt/divination isnt that bad

See imtheguido's post for what you said regarding Jace.

Regarding lands, you haven't posted your deck, so I have no idea what's in it. All I know is that missing a land drop up until turn 6 is normally fatal for control. If you're running Calcite Snapper, then missing a land drop at pretty much any point can stop your offense, which relieves pressure on the opponent and gives them a turn to strike back.

25 lands minimum, 26 preferred.
maltabus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He already said what's in his deck. Its a pyromancer ascension combo deck, so it should be entirely instants and sorceries pre-board.

As for the land discussion, 24 lands with 8 draw spells should be fine. If I were in your situation, however, I'd probably look at the curve. On 3, Divination is a stronger card. On two, Treasure Hunt is. Which spot in the curve do you need to fill more?
Bantos86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maltabus wrote:
He already said what's in his deck. Its a pyromancer ascension combo deck, so it should be entirely instants and sorceries pre-board.

As for the land discussion, 24 lands with 8 draw spells should be fine. If I were in your situation, however, I'd probably look at the curve. On 3, Divination is a stronger card. On two, Treasure Hunt is. Which spot in the curve do you need to fill more?

Because i'm psychic, and can tell exactly what his deck has in it just from him mentioning a name. I guess it's now acceptable to say "I have a (insert deck name here) deck, help me out." and expect everyone to just know what I have in my particular build.

"Should be" and reality are quite often two different things.

Even Jund has too many variations to be able to know exactly what any one particular deck has in it, let alone a rogue Grixis-colored deck.

Also, 24 lands and 8 draw spells are certainly not enough. You don't want to cast draw just to make sure you don't miss a land drop. You should have that covered already. You should be casting draw to get to more useful cards. Which is why Treasure Hunt is so useful. You're guaranteed a nonland card. But if you don't have enough lands to make it reliable, you'll constantly be paying 2 mana for a cantrip. That does nothing else. As someone on the forums has managed to pound into my head, you should be focused on the MAXIMUM amount of lands the deck can run, not the minimum.
SJM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantos86 wrote:
Quote:

I'd crap myself a little if they reprint it.

When they printed concentration I was like, "what is this garbage, Fact or Fiction for the win."

Then Invasion rotated and concentration saw some play.

The fact that these days concentration would be "zomg amazing" shows how far they have lowered the bar on blue and control players.
Alphakiller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently faced an ascention deck that ran ponder and treasure hunt... and also halimar depths and the new multikicker counterspell to great effect. he didn't run new jace, and still was able to take complete control of his topdeck to lock me out of a field then finish my life.
Vodka_7up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphakiller wrote:
I recently faced an ascention deck that ran ponder and treasure hunt... and also halimar depths and the new multikicker counterspell to great effect. he didn't run new jace, and still was able to take complete control of his topdeck to lock me out of a field then finish my life.

how many of each card? ive only seen decks(Ascension or any other control deck) run up to 2x Halimar Depths (It'd be awesome to find one with 4x since Ponder + Halimar Depth's seems = the awesome).
P_P4E

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphakiller wrote:

Just imagine how good his deck would be with the jace...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1