Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UW Control

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
imtheguido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: UW Control Reply with quote

Alright. So here is my UW Control build. I've been testing it for a few days now and it's been working out great. I've had several suggestions to go UWr Control, but I like the consistency that UW is giving me with this.

// Lands
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
2 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
4 [WWK] Halimar Depths
4 [M10] Glacial Fortress
4 [ZEN] Island (3)
3 [7E] Plains (3)

// Creatures
4 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
4 [ZEN] Sphinx of Jwar Isle
4 [ARB] Wall of Denial

// Spells
3 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
4 [WWK] Treasure Hunt
4 [M10] Negate
2 [MOR] Mind Spring
4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
4 [CFX] Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
SB: 4 [WWK] Kor Firewalker
SB: 4 [CFX] Celestial Purge
SB: 3 [M10] Flashfreeze

So I know the sideboard needs work, but the main deck has been working amazingly so far. Been playing heavily against Jund and so far pre-sideboard the games are looking about 60/40 in my favor. Post Side board brings the game up to about 75/25 in my favor. I still have to test more against other tier decks at the moment. I'm a little worried about the vampire matchup. Boros and RDW aren't too bad post SB, but pre its a bit of a struggle. Still have to test the mirror match as well.

Let me know what you think? Any ideas?
RiQuSP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+4 Luminarch Ascension in sideboard for the mirror seems pretty good )
imtheguido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, but what would I pull to put them in? The only thing I can think of is seas, and those are great for any matchup against something with a atrocious mana base.
Ludz
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 11 cards in board vs Red Decks, take out 4 of those!
P_P4E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its perfect. as far as card choices...

You NEED more lands. That's for sure.

Treasure Hunt sucks. It really does. I've tested with it now a long while... Ponder instead of it if you're not going to play a lot of lands.

I say cut 2x sphynx and add 2 lands. Otherwise, you've got a decent list.
RiQuSP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
Treasure Hunt sucks. It really does. I've tested with it now a long while... Ponder instead of it if you're not going to play a lot of lands.

Lern2lern Halimard Depths and/or Jace.. Treasure Hunt is a GREAT card... (and in a lighter way, Sphinx)
InWaking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played 2 sets with the deck, I have to head to work but I thought I would mention that 4 celestial collonades seems to be too much, and the 4 baneslayers are (as always) an easy target as it is the only targetable critter. I mean if you want to use them to make the battlefield a bit safer for the collanades then cool but just seems a bit off. Other than that I really like it, I like the accellerated blue feel it has to it.
RiQuSP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo, where are the Calcite Snappers hiding )
imtheguido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. Treasure hunt is amazing. No one should ever think otherwise. You just have to be smart about your plays. Don't play it when you know your top deck is not a land. Use Depths/Jace to set up the top of your deck to get a multiple card draw every time.

As for the snapper, I was considering running them in the place of the slayers MD and then siding in the Slayers after G1. Many people will be running without Slayers simply because they cant afford them, and running all shroud creatures may cause them to think that I'm not running them at all, and have them side out their hate. Which drops the chances of losing a slayer G2.

I like the idea of running a few ascensions. I know I am running a lot of red hate, and think I may drop the Firewalkers down to a 2 of in the side and put in two ascensions. I usually end up siding out 2 walls for 2 firewalkers anyways against most red decks I play against. As for the rest of the side, seas helps against any deck that has trouble with stabalizing their mana base effectively such as Jund, Bant, 5cc/cascade, grixis/cruel control. The Flashfreeze works well both against Jund, 5cc/cascade, grixis/cruel control, boros and RDW. The Celestial purge takes place of my Paths when I come across a deck that I can use it against that I really don't want to help ramp up, such as RDW, Vamps, Jund, Grixis, and it works on permanents, so it allows me to take care of Planeswalkers that I find myself having trouble with the first game. Chandra Nalar hurts a lot in Jund.

Now that I think about it, I may need to run 3 ascension for the mirror. I guess its just a race to the ascension in the mirror, and whoever can get it active first. I'm really liking this deck so far.

I'm not really sure why you say up the land by 2. I've never had problems with getting the land I need onto the board, and don't really ever get mana flooded or screwed when playing it the way it is.

And I have to add, Mindspring as a 2 of, is amazing. Early game its decent, and late it wins games. Drawing 6-7 cards from a hand of 1 has won me so many games. Well I gotta run to work. Keep bringing on the ideas! Thanks for the help everyone.
imtheguido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imtheguido wrote:

Many people will be running without Slayers simply because they cant afford them, and running all shroud creatures may cause them to think that I'm not running them at all, and have them side out their hate. Which drops the chances of losing a slayer G2.

This statement comes into context when I also tell you that it was meant that these people that cant afford the baneslayers, are those not at a professional level. Like myself. >_>
urafever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P_P4E wrote:
Its perfect. as far as card choices...

You NEED more lands. That's for sure.

I say cut 2x sphynx and add 2 lands. Otherwise, you've got a decent list.

I think you are missing the point. For treasure hunt to be effective, you actually need to pair it WITH ponder (or jace, for that matter). You need to be able to stack the top card of your deck so that you are consistently drawing at least 2-3 cards.

So, in a weird way you're both wrong: keep hunt and add ponder as well. Also add some more land and get rid of at least 1 day of judgment as well as a couple of your fat creatures.

You have to remember that when you are playing control you need less expensive threats and removal and more cheap card advantage to get you to the cards you need.

remember that the cool thing about treasure hunt is that adding land to your deck actually adds synergy.

I think w 4xponder 4xtreasure hunt and a few more land, you won't miss whatever you take out.
OldBear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the fact, its running only 23 lands, it is a good looking list. Cut 2-3 Threats for more land as has been said.
Insom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needz moar pondar.
23 land is not optimal.
Quote:
As for the snapper, I was considering running them in the place of the slayers MD and then siding in the Slayers after G1.

Do this.
imtheguido

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. So I just got back from a testing session and now I really need to put the snappers in main and the BSA in side, but I really don't know where to make room for it. Any suggestions?
SJM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love everflowing chalice in u/w control.

It's never a bad card. With Mind Spring in the deck, it pays for itself later anyway. I'd strongly consider bumping up to 3 mind springs for the synergy with chalice.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2